Article blasts Stephen Jones on missing Derrick Henry

phildadon86

Reaction score
Signing Henry would have had to be part of several other free agent additions for it to make sense.

Henry himself would not have put this team over the top.

I waffle between this guy using excuses to be cheap vs him having zero understanding of windows under which to win.
Cowboys biggest issue last year was RZ offense.

Henry fixes that immediately.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If I were Dak, Cedee Lamb or Micah Parsons, if getting a championship ring was very important to me,I would think long and hard about staying with a team that is led by guys that have proven they don’t know how to build a championship roster in the cap era.

Those players could still make a ton of money in free agency somewhere else. But if they want something more than money - like a ring - why stick around for the excuses you’re going to hear from the entitled son of the owner? Or some lame attempt at excuse humor like “we’ve found the secret sauce“ or “that silly oblong ball just didn’t bounce our way”.

Seriously, if I were those guys I would really think long and hard before signing here again.
I wrote a thread on this.

This sends a bad message to the locker room. Very bad.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cowboys biggest issue last year was RZ offense.

Henry fixes that immediately.
Don’t get me wrong, having Henry makes them better than not having him, but if this is some sort of reset or reboot year, adding him may not make sense.

Look I’m not saying I agree with whatever they are doing, but if they are gonna go cheap or whatever they are trying to do, either actually fix it all or don’t bother.

Henry can run the ball, but he can’t stop it also.

Creeper

Reaction score
Really? Out of all the free agents the Cowboys could have pursued to make this team better the straw the breaks the camels back is Derrick Henry? I would have gladly passed on Henry to sign a top FA DT. I would even take Tyron over Henry. Signing Tyron would have given the Cowboys some room in the draft to take a top RB.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, having Henry makes them better than not having him, but if this is some sort of reset or reboot year, adding him may not make sense.

Look I’m not saying I agree with whatever they are doing, but if they are gonna go cheap or whatever they are trying to do, either actually fix it all or don’t bother.

Henry can run the ball, but he can’t stop it also.
I dont know. He may have been better than what they were trotting out there at LB.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Henry was screwed either way. Jackson is 2-4 in the playoffs. Almost as bad as Dak 2-5 in the playoffs. Neither one is going to the promised land.
It’s why you bring in Henry though. They can change each other’s fortunes.

John Elway was viewed as one of the biggest chokers in SB history until he got Terrell’s Davis.

Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre both had substantially more success together than apart (after the 90’s for Brett).

Mcnabb with Westbrook, Mcnabb without Westbrook.

The best Cowboys teams of the last 15 years are still the Zeke and Dak show in 2016 and Murray-Romo in 2014.

Playoff teams typically lose due to talent holes and lack of playmakers who step up. Lamar wouldn’t be 2-4 if he had Derrick up to this point. We’ll see what Derrick has left to get them over the hump.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hate that Dallas doesn't even reach out. Is 9million really too much for an 1k rusher? I get it if you think he has slowed down some, but maybe just maybe you can sweet talk him into a little less with incentives. But then again it's only money, pay him if you are actually trying to win in the post season. if not then status quo is fine.

shabazz

Reaction score
https://fansided.com/posts/stephen-...s-botching-derrick-henry-pursuit-unacceptable

In a direct and straightforward way, this linked article from FanSided blasts Stephen Jones for his comments about why the Cowboys did not pursue RB Derrick Henry when he was available at a reasonably low price. The author just cuts to the chase that Jones’ explanation is simply “unacceptable”.

The sentence from the article below pretty accurately sums up the philosophy of SJ and his father:
“What this all means is the Cowboys would once again rather be in the headlines than field a serious Super Bowl contender.”
The author of this story hasn't figured out what Jerry's intentions for this season is.......most of us have figured it out by now

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Signing Henry would have had to be part of several other free agent additions for it to make sense.

Henry himself would not have put this team over the top.

I waffle between this guy using excuses to be cheap vs him having zero understanding of windows under which to win.
Henry by himself is significantly better than every back we have on the roster combined. He would have given us a respected rushing attack which could only benefit the passing attack, and keep the defense off the field longer. Not signing Henry is likely to cost this team 3 games or more in 2024.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If I were Dak, Cedee Lamb or Micah Parsons, if getting a championship ring was very important to me,I would think long and hard about staying with a team that is led by guys that have proven they don’t know how to build a championship roster in the cap era.

Those players could still make a ton of money in free agency somewhere else. But if they want something more than money - like a ring - why stick around for the excuses you’re going to hear from the entitled son of the owner? Or some lame attempt at excuse humor like “we’ve found the secret sauce“ or “that silly oblong ball just didn’t bounce our way”.

Seriously, if I were those guys I would really think long and hard before signing here again.
My greatest fantasy as a young kid football fan was to play for Dallas. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who had that Walter Mitty fantasy growing up.

As an adult, in a hypothetical world where I am a sought after free agent, I would tell my agent to not even talk to Dallas, because I would want to win a SB ring.

I despise Jerry for making it this way.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Dak got his money so he can look for another team if the Joneses decide not to pay and the Cowboys can’t use the tag on Dak. CeeDee and Micah can be given the 5th year and franchised after that. It would be in there best interest to get extensions.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Henry can fall forward for 3-4 yards… he also would have made dak a far better qb. We coulda used the play action to perfection…. And all we had to find was 5-6 million extra dollars. It was worth the risk

SBWinner

Reaction score
https://fansided.com/posts/stephen-...s-botching-derrick-henry-pursuit-unacceptable

In a direct and straightforward way, this linked article from FanSided blasts Stephen Jones for his comments about why the Cowboys did not pursue RB Derrick Henry when he was available at a reasonably low price. The author just cuts to the chase that Jones’ explanation is simply “unacceptable”.

The sentence from the article below pretty accurately sums up the philosophy of SJ and his father:
“What this all means is the Cowboys would once again rather be in the headlines than field a serious Super Bowl contender.”
I am glad he didn't sign Henry. Doesn't fit within their mini rebuild plan. Let the plan work and see what happens. Then we can ***** plenty later if it blows up in their face.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Screw them...they would have blasted him if we signed him! Click bait....stop it!