Article: Have Smart Phones Destroyed a Generation?

diefree666

Reaction score
Yes, you've nailed it. I want my phone to enhance my life, not rule it.

That is the problem. Too many people, most young, let devices rule their life. Cemented in front of a monitor addicted to computer games or the internet; so fascinated by what is on their phone that they run into people and things. I go to a store now and there are people shopping with the phone glued to their ear; and I shake my head.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Like everything in life. It needs to be done in moderation.

Phones are literally taking over people's lives to the point they are always on it. That just isn't healthy.

I use social media because I like to keep up with family and friends, but it is dangerous for some people because they are always comparing their lives to someone else's. Again all in moderation.

Smartphones are a great tool, just don't over use it and get back in the real world.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I don't envy parents nowadays. They probably have to require their kids to turn over their phones when they get home until they finish their homework. Even then if the kid has to do homework on a computer, he'll be tempted to screw around with the apps on that PC or Mac contacting their friends.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Smart phones and apps are killing a generation. And it's not the millennials. It's our children.

My son is limited in his phone usage. He gets to use his instagram and look at and "like" the newest cutest puppy videos (he loves those), but his mom and myself do control it.

He's an assistant principal's honor roll student, as well as some other cool little accolades. His best friend was class president at his elementary and his other best friend's dad is a SSG in the LACSD. Suffice it to say, he's a good kid. We still limit him. His mommy probably more than myself.

But I do limit him, too.

With that said, if he was a bad child, he would NEVER have a phone. As I said earlier, I rib him with chants of "instant gratification" outbursts when he goes on it.

He will not have a FB account until he's pulling straight A's in high school. No way, no how.

One of the most ardent stances his mom and myself have with regards to his phone.

With all that said, this is not millennials. Don't be ignorant. My child and I recently went to Universal Studios and every plump tourist had their phones out, of all ages. Assumably, as tourists, from all parts of the country. I live one mile from it. I forbade my son from using his phone. We had a Nikon for pictures. But I was disgusted at all the instant gratification. People posting their dip **** pics to their Facebook and waiting and staring like robots at their phones waiting for likes.

My son's generation rules this phenomena.

Let him bring me one ******* C. Phone will be gone till the next school year. Bring me a B in HS, gone for the two years. My son won't be a robot. He will be a jet setter. An engineer, scientist, economist. Whatever he chooses. But he will pull straight A's once his schooling in 9th grade comes around.

Or he'll be giving me full reports on the value of Dostoevsky and it's impact on a predominantly Russian epic lit genre.

Or how Tolstoy brought humanity to the Russian epic. Not sloppy reports either. I'll burn him out and make him smarter at the same time.

I think he'll go for the 2-3 hours of studying a night, and his phone, vs. my David Foster Wallace-level reports and no phone on the weekends.

Again, this is an under-18 issue. There's a ton of sloth generations of 20-year of age upwards, clicking with their sauasage fingers on their phones, waiting and waiting for the latest comment of their pic.

Disgusting.

@jday @erod

Edit -- @Hardline, you never answered me. Driveby post much?

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
That is the problem. Too many people, most young, let devices rule their life. Cemented in front of a monitor addicted to computer games or the internet; so fascinated by what is on their phone that they run into people and things. I go to a store now and there are people shopping with the phone glued to their ear; and I shake my head.
Same here, brother. How 'bout those that cross crosswalks with their heads down on their phones.

I'm like "you put too much trust in drivers not plowing into you as their heads are down in their own phones"

Disgusts me. I shouldn't let it, but it does.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Same here, brother. How 'bout those that cross crosswalks with their heads down on their phones.

I'm like "you put too much trust in drivers not plowing into you as their heads are down in their own phones"

Disgusts me. I shouldn't let it, but it does.

Same here. I wouldn't mind if phones somehow disappeared. Although I use mine quite a bit, I could go without.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I will continue my de-evolution.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8
6.3 inch screen

Coming 8/23/17