As Predicted, Team Needs Exceeded Draft Capital

McMicah

Reaction score
This is simply why running it back isn’t the right option. In order to keep their superstars, the Cowboys have to rely exclusively on draft capital to cover the volume of outgoing FAs they can’t sign. Today, we found out that even trading back they couldn’t fill all the holes.

Believe it or not, I liked this draft, but it doesn’t cover up the poor mgmt of the team

Now all we can do is hope that:
1) Guyton shocks us all and ends up as good as Tyron (unlikely)
2) Beebe can convert to center with no issue and be better than Biadasz (likely)
3) Kneeland will be as good or better than Armstrong and eventually be the next Tank (suspect)
4) we can find anyone as good as Pollard in UDFA (unlikely, and plz don’t tell me Zeke will be better)
5) Carson will be as good as Gilmore (unlikely)
6) The 7th is pounder will replace Hankins (unlikely)

I’ll be hoping against the odds like the rest of you, but there’s no way I’m going to claim we are better than last year

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This is simply why running it back isn’t the right option. In order to keep their superstars, the Cowboys have to rely exclusively on draft capital to cover the volume of outgoing FAs they can’t sign. Today, we found out that even trading back they couldn’t fill all the holes.

Believe it or not, I liked this draft, but it doesn’t cover up the poor mgmt of the team

2) Beebe can convert to center with no issue and be better than Biadasz (likely)
3) Kneeland will be as good or better than Armstrong and eventually be the next Tank (suspect)
4) we can find anyone as good as Pollard in UDFA (unlikely, and plz don’t tell me Zeke will be better)

I’ll be hoping against the odds like the rest of you, but there’s no way I’m going to claim we are better than last year
It's refreshing to see a realistic take about this draft instead of towing the line and declaring everyone "better" and "tougher" than who they are replacing.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I do think that it is very possible our new people will be meaner than the ones they replaced which is a plus
BUT everyone with a brain knew we were not going to get it done like supposedly the Front Office expected

boysfanindc

Reaction score

But we don't need a better RB because we got so much better on the OL, right?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

Carson doesn’t have to be better than Gilmore. Diggs does Carson needs to be good enough to replace Lewis next year.

It is unlikely Guyton will be better than Tron but his availability will likely make him better over a 16 game season and cheaper too

The combo Kneeland and Sam Williams needs to be better than Armstrong and Fowler. I think it is likely especially against the run

I think our roster looks pretty good at every position except one. Running back

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Word is they are signing free agents now. They no longer count against the comp formula so expect a few signings
Milk dem comp picks!

Everything about next season, nothing about this season.

This is Move On From Dak Year.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dallas is doing everything in reverse.

Typically teams sign FAs and then draft players to fill in.

Dallas drafted players they wanted and will now use free agency to fill remaining holes.

Could you imagine if free agency was after the draft. Falcons would have drafted Penix but wouldn't have signed Cousins to a big deal....

McMicah

Reaction score
That isn't exactly breaking news. Most teams can't fill all their holes in the draft. It isn't something excusive the Cowboys own or franchised.
Agreed, But what seems to be exclusive with the Cowboys is:
1) Horribly resigning strategy with veteran players they SHOULD sign
2) An uncanny willingness to sign veterans they should NOT sign
3) A ridiculous level of attachment to players on the decline that they should trade or move on from way past there value point
4) An unwillingness to play younger players that show promise over ‘household names’

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But we don't need a better RB because we got so much better on the OL, right?
Tyron v. Guyton
Biadasz v. Beebe

Certainly *this* year, we got worse on the oline, and even our picks are more projects than ready to roll this year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But it's why ignoring free agency forces you to reach for need
Dallas is doing everything in reverse.

Typically teams sign FAs and then draft players to fill in.

Dallas drafted players they wanted and will now use free agency to fill remaining holes.

The salary cap re-set is why they didn't sign any big dollar FA's.

dupree89

Reaction score
Agreed, But what seems to be exclusive with the Cowboys is:
1) Horribly resigning strategy with veteran players they SHOULD sign
2) An uncanny willingness to sign veterans they should NOT sign
3) A ridiculous level of attachment to players on the decline that they should trade or move on from way past there value point
4) An unwillingness to play younger players that show promise over ‘household names’
totally agree with you. Branch Rickey said it best many years ago:

its better to get rid of a player a year too early rather than a year too late.

Staubacher

Reaction score
It's refreshing to see a realistic take about this draft instead of towing the line and declaring everyone "better" and "tougher" than who they are replacing.
Yeah LOL at people who say we are immediately tougher when we lost a Hall of Fame offensive lineman. But this is the same group that couldn't wait to kick other great players out the door and can't wait to get Zeke back

Staubacher

Reaction score
Carson doesn’t have to be better than Gilmore. Diggs does Carson needs to be good enough to replace Lewis next year.

It is unlikely Guyton will be better than Tron but his availability will likely make him better over a 16 game season and cheaper too

The combo Kneeland and Sam Williams needs to be better than Armstrong and Fowler. I think it is likely especially against the run

I think our roster looks pretty good at every position except one. Running back
Please don't tell me you seriously think these guys are all starters this year. We didn't have one starter from last year's draft class. Every guy drafted has some good reports out on him.