As Predicted, Team Needs Exceeded Draft Capital

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Truth is, we could hit on all the draft picks and still be weaker than last year's team
We lost a ton of talent in free agency and only signed one player!
You are correct about the poor management.
Until we hire a professional GM, I am afraid this will continue.
Our cap is still negative.

The team doesn’t want to extend more players into 2025+.

Martins contract is already a mess because of the ext last Summer.

The cap $$$ just isn’t there to sign big FAs

Carson

Reaction score

We get an extra $9.1 coming up in June from Gallup

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Carson doesn’t have to be better than Gilmore. Diggs does Carson needs to be good enough to replace Lewis next year.

It is unlikely Guyton will be better than Tron but his availability will likely make him better over a 16 game season and cheaper too

The combo Kneeland and Sam Williams needs to be better than Armstrong and Fowler. I think it is likely especially against the run

I think our roster looks pretty good at every position except one. Running back
WR is really thin. One injury to Lamb or Cooks and Tolbert is your starter.

DT is relying on Mazi to get back 100% and be improved after a 4-6 month injury.

conner01

Reaction score
That isn't exactly breaking news. Most teams can't fill all their holes in the draft. It isn't something excusive the Cowboys own or franchised.
I think most knew that before the draft thus were flabbergasted by lack of FA moves. Other than maybe smith I didn’t have an issue letting the rest walk. But when you do that you have to fill some of those holes in FA, hopefully with comparable talent and less pay. In the past we’ve kinda done that even when it was with cheap additions

conner01

Reaction score
Others will get hurt. We always always assume people are coming back but never assume more will get hurt
No doubt. Every team loses guys. You just hope it’s at a position you have depth. Also some guys that come back take several weeks to get back to form. Steele and pollard both last year showed that. Diggs has dealt with injuries before so he may be able to handle the mental aspect of coming back better than some

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That Zeke is an answer narrative is out there is mind boggling. 87 should have been a RB. Period.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Yes, we don't have a creative front office like the Eagles.
So, this is the corner we have painted ourselves into.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Ton? Part time Tyron and Dorance. Outside of that, all will be replaced by guys already on the roster.
An optimistic viewpoint.
Hope is never a successful strategy.
We can hope all these backups step up.
Will they all?
Doubtful.
We will be weaker.

morasp

Reaction score
Every season is different but I think they will be better this year by the end of the season.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Cowboys will be better this year. They didn't try to get better. They're holding down the fort, like they do every year. But I don't think we'll be worse.

Besides the drafted players, we get Diggs back and Overshown. I think Dallas is a 10 win team. Mainly because of the tougher schedule. But they're not really trying to be better than that. That's the return for their effort.
Yes, this front office appears to be content to tread water and stay relevant.
Really frustrating, especially after Jerry's ALL IN proclamation.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The issues people seem to not be including is that it’s been 30 years of futility and the franchise needs to do something. Also you have some key players that are at the end of the line and some young guys that are about to be really expensive. They should have been all in instead of perpetual underperformance and promises.

Proof

Reaction score
Others will get hurt. We always always assume people are coming back but never assume more will get hurt
ehh it’s not an assumption that they’re coming back. and if you’re assuming more will get hurt then getting these guys back STILL is a bonus vs not having them and more getting hurt.

Proof

Reaction score
I forgot about Kendricks. Yeah. I guess they could be a little better. I highly doubt we'll be worse. Our schedule is tougher, but the home/away favors us for most of the matchups. Besides Tyron Smith, who did we lose you'd cry about?
i forgot about him too. and to be honest i don’t know what he’s got in the tank, but he’s a zimmer guy and adds some depth to a soft spot. i am one of the biggest tyron homers there is, and i hated to see him go but our line should be much better and dependable. i’ll miss fowler a bit.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I agree. But some positions you can’t find in free agency. I think they handled the draft well but they can’t be serious about all in because the draft was never gonna supply what we needed to improve.

But last years draft and the year before might.
Solid draft for sure.
But we got major needs that have not been addressed.
This is concerning.