As Predicted, Team Needs Exceeded Draft Capital

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Please don't tell me you seriously think these guys are all starters this year. We didn't have one starter from last year's draft class. Every guy drafted has some good reports out on him.
I didn’t say they would all be starters. Guyton will be I think Beebe will be. Kneeland will be part of the DE rotation. I see him being used with Sam Williams. Sam on obvious passing downs. Kneeland on rushing downs. I said Carson needs to be good enough to replace Lewis next year.

Staubacher

Reaction score
I didn’t say they would all be starters. Guyton will be I think Beebe will be. Kneeland will be part of the DE rotation. I see him being used with Sam Williams. Sam on obvious passing downs. Kneeland on rushing downs. I said Carson needs to be good enough to replace Lewis next year.
So just 3 then ok...

nathanlt

Reaction score
This is simply why running it back isn’t the right option. In order to keep their superstars, the Cowboys have to rely exclusively on draft capital to cover the volume of outgoing FAs they can’t sign. Today, we found out that even trading back they couldn’t fill all the holes.

Believe it or not, I liked this draft, but it doesn’t cover up the poor mgmt of the team

Now all we can do is hope that:
1) Guyton shocks us all and ends up as good as Tyron (unlikely)
2) Beebe can convert to center with no issue and be better than Biadasz (likely)
3) Kneeland will be as good or better than Armstrong and eventually be the next Tank (suspect)
4) we can find anyone as good as Pollard in UDFA (unlikely, and plz don’t tell me Zeke will be better)
5) Carson will be as good as Gilmore (unlikely)
6) The 7th is pounder will replace Hankins (unlikely)

I’ll be hoping against the odds like the rest of you, but there’s no way I’m going to claim we are better than last year
Welp, Theory #4 has been crushed. How many UDFA RB's have been passed over?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is simply why running it back isn’t the right option. In order to keep their superstars, the Cowboys have to rely exclusively on draft capital to cover the volume of outgoing FAs they can’t sign. Today, we found out that even trading back they couldn’t fill all the holes.

Believe it or not, I liked this draft, but it doesn’t cover up the poor mgmt of the team

2) Beebe can convert to center with no issue and be better than Biadasz (likely)
3) Kneeland will be as good or better than Armstrong and eventually be the next Tank (suspect)
4) we can find anyone as good as Pollard in UDFA (unlikely, and plz don’t tell me Zeke will be better)

I’ll be hoping against the odds like the rest of you, but there’s no way I’m going to claim we are better than last year
Truth is, we could hit on all the draft picks and still be weaker than last year's team
We lost a ton of talent in free agency and only signed one player!
You are correct about the poor management.
Until we hire a professional GM, I am afraid this will continue.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but Hankins might be the most overrated Cowboys Player since Roy Williams (WR).

Replacing him will be a lot easier than most people think.

JMHO
Competent run defender is what I see him as. Given the history at DT the past decade I do not see it being easy as you say.

This is a still of Zimmer's under front.

tite-front.webp

He uses this a lot on early downs. It will be interesting to see who goes where. What is interesting to me is this is a lot more like what Smith did at Michigan. I can see it work but you need size at the nose for this to work. Behind Smith we have the 7th rounder and a bunch of guys at best 300. You also need OLB that can set the edge.

Will be interesting.

Siroky

Reaction score

1 when tryon is injured and misses half the season guyton will be an upgrade.
2 Beebe can start at center and if guyton doesn’t play up to speed his rookie season allows the smith to move to Lt and he can move to guard.
3 kneeland is best against the run so is Dlaw. Move sam and micha to 3/4 linebackers and we still have pressure on qb.
4 watch they will sign elliot and trade for pierce or another starting back and be better than a 3-4 rd rb in a weak rb draft .
5 Gilmore may still resign
6 From past rookie Dt s they take 1-2 year to grow into the role. Mazi was a 1st rounder and he is the one they are counting on to replace Hanks. The 7 rounder is a 7 rounder, big body to clog up the lane. Making the team as a 7 rounder is a start for a 7 round rookie, not replacing Hank’s.

We payed attention to our 2 biggest weaknesses- o line and front 7 defense . It a process, not a one year fix. And it’s not sexy but neither was martin or Fred. Time will tell if they hit on the right picks.

Flamma

Reaction score
Truth is, we could hit on all the draft picks and still be weaker than last year's team
We lost a ton of talent in free agency and only signed one player!
You are correct about the poor management.
Until we hire a professional GM, I am afraid this will continue.
I'm not saying the Cowboys will be better this year. They didn't try to get better. They're holding down the fort, like they do every year. But I don't think we'll be worse.

Besides the drafted players, we get Diggs back and Overshown. I think Dallas is a 10 win team. Mainly because of the tougher schedule. But they're not really trying to be better than that. That's the return for their effort.

Proof

Reaction score

think diggs returning plus overshown and signing kendrick’s are spark plugs unaccounted for. don’t know if that leads to better than last year, but it’s a start

Flamma

Reaction score
think diggs returning plus overshown and signing kendrick’s are spark plugs unaccounted for. don’t know if that leads to better than last year, but it’s a start
I forgot about Kendricks. Yeah. I guess they could be a little better. I highly doubt we'll be worse. Our schedule is tougher, but the home/away favors us for most of the matchups. Besides Tyron Smith, who did we lose you'd cry about?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Making the worse assumptions is just as easy as being optimistic. We don’t know who is who until camp.

We all were certain Tyler Smith would not be ready week 1 when he was drafted and sure enough we were scared to move him out of LT

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Carson doesn’t have to be better than Gilmore. Diggs does Carson needs to be good enough to replace Lewis next year.

It is unlikely Guyton will be better than Tron but his availability will likely make him better over a 16 game season and cheaper too

The combo Kneeland and Sam Williams needs to be better than Armstrong and Fowler. I think it is likely especially against the run

I think our roster looks pretty good at every position except one. Running back
We gotta give Guyton room to make his own way.

No one can replace Tyron. Hes HoF/RoH

Same deal with CooperB. It will be tempting to compare him to TFred early.