At least Jerry’s making money

TLAMGUY

Reaction score
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy....the real architect of the Cowboys Superbowl run. The fact he is not in the ring of honor sez it all. JJ can't abide by admitting what he isn't or had never been.

JBS

Reaction score
Thanks captain obvious. You just summarize every post and response on this site.
I guess we can shut this place down now you awesome conversationalist.

Thanks, sir! I'm glad I could be of assistance. It's not easy to lead the blind.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another thing. Trying to understand what really makes someone else tick is not a copout. It is not 'letting Jones off the hook' for underachieving as a general manager after the Super Bowl victories. It is totally about acknowledging what really drives that other person.

Shoot. The simple practice would help boycotters wanting 'to do something about' Jones. Not help them into giving up but into planning more realistically if they are honestly and truly committed. Otherwise, it is just umpteen threads posted on a fansite and a billboard or two motivating no one lol.

Big_D

Reaction score
Holding a 25-plus year death grip on general managership, while also being the owner and self-appointed president, is a key point. That exact point is a clear sign of narcissism, something more complicated than simple greed. It is also a more contextually relevant answer explaining why Jones has never wanted qualified experienced football minds OUTSIDE his inner circle to take over as GM. For even for a year test drive. A month. Heck. Even a day.

In short, Jones is super wealthy as an owner and with his nice looking title of President. He does not require GM as a title to print money. Some people do not stop and consider that fact. Instead? "He's just all about those dolla bills y'all!"

I didn't say he's all about money, I said he's making money which some apparently equate with great ownership. This organization can't look anymore lost right now, with no one at all to fix it, but at least he's driven?! That's the consensus with some. His deep desire to win! That's what's important in your thirst to find out what makes Jerry tick! lol

Big_D

Reaction score
If you don't think he wants to win, three things:

1. Just watch the video of the SB XXX win, he was grabbing the trophy from Barry's hands every chance he got, like a kid grabbing his brother's candy. He was so ecstatic that he "won" a SB without Jimmy he could hardly contain himself, the vilification of his "any one of 500 coaches could win a SB with these players" alleged statement.

2. Why do people who become successful and become "filthy" rich continue to try and make even more money? Did Bill Gates sell Microsoft after he made his first 5 billion dollars, which is more money than he could ever spend even if he just lived off the interest?
No. Once you make it "big", for many, maybe most people, it's never enough. Jones became a billionaire many times over, so what's left? Making a few more billion? He needs new challenges, new ways to make himself feel "successful", ergo you buy the Dallas Cowboys, a once proud franchise in the gutter, and return it to glory, and be known as the guy who made it happen.

3. If Jones is all about money, then how can he make the most from the Cowboys? Win SBs, of course, how much money does he make off of t-shirt, etc. sales? Lots and lots, but the more the team wins, the more new "fans" buy merchandise and the older fans buy new merchandise. Can't make as much money if you don't get the new fans, and lose fans because your team is in the doldrums. And he has other business interests, he can make money with those if that's all he cares about.

Jerry really thinks he is the smartest man in football, he craves adoration and acknowledgment as such. He was so proud that he took Charles Haley, a "problem" player, and Haley was able to stick on the Cowboys as long as he was healthy and win Jerry some rings. Wasn't about making money off Haley, every other team apparently wanted no part of Haley, Jerry took the gamble, and it paid off big.

Jerry desperately wants to win more SBs, without Jimmy or Jimmy's influence. That's what drives him as far as football goes. Money is secondary....

This organization is worse than it ever looked today. Talking about how bad Jerry wants to win has become a joke. He can't and won't win which takes us to our next problem...

cern

Reaction score
it is the hotboyz who are suffering financially. justifiably so.

Big_D

Reaction score
And to top it off it's a huge disservice to his players and fans. And some still defend it. Unreal. Save me the crap on how bad he wants to win or how it isn't greed. Like that matters. The guy is a complete joke!

BlueStar22

Reaction score
He's not making any more money off me. Only thing i've bought is a mask...

GenoT

Reaction score
He could be. I know most sports franchises have a goal to operate at a point where they break even for a year, the money that gets made is typically in the valuation of the franchise.

Owning the Dallas Cowboys probably has some additional perks, is it enough to offset losses from this year? Who knows.
Something else to consider...

While I suspect that even in this pandemic-altered season, the Cowboys — as usual — are still making more money than any other team in the league and continue to turn a profit.

Having said that, if we take into account @75% in lost revenue from home attendance, on-site parking and concessions (the last two losses which are, thankfully, shared with both the city and state, who each receive a yearly cut of said revenue per Jerry’s stadium agreement), plus the @75% loss of on-site merch sales, the Cowboys are likely also taking the biggest hit of any team in the league when it comes to loss of potential 2020 team revenue

Then again, if we factor in the yearly revenue from the AT&T naming rights agreement, which is a long-term deal and doesn’t change because of the current situation, I doubt Jerry’s gonna have to hock his boat anytime soon.
;):rolleyes:

Scotman

Reaction score
Would you stop this nonsense.

Jerry is almost 80 years old and has made more money than he and several generations of jones can ever spend.
The old dude wants to win. He wants and needs the validation and credit from building and running a superbowl organization.
He would give up a large piece of his fortune if he could win a SB.

Before you say he doesnt want to win or he would turn it over to someone else to run, thats not him winning. Thats someone else winning just like he lived through in the Jimmy days.

Just another angry fan spitting venom on everything he can find in an effort to share his misery.
Jerry would trade virtually anything for a Superbowl that wasn't tied to Jimmy.

Blue64

Reaction score
Between ratings and attendance numbers this is literally the one year he probably isn't.
Trust me he is raking it in.

His miserable excuse for a team is the hottest topic in sports with everyone discussing it and offering opinions. Remember back before the season there were big stories, heck even the biggest Mahomes monster contract and it all gets shadowed in a few days by Dallas news. What does that mean for Dak etc...

The questions never end, as in the why has Jerry not said anything?
Why should he?
In today’s social media driven world you can’t buy this kind of advertising.
No wonder a team that has done nothing over the last quarter century is the worlds most valuable franchise 5 years in a row.
Advertising + notoriety = $$$$$$

cern

Reaction score
That is one example. Some people do not even account for Jones having revenue streams outside of football.
his real estate venture at the star facility is making him millions. there's also the oil revenue. the man understands how to turn a buck or two.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with everyones sentiment...Jerry is still making money...but he got Parcells so he could get the stadium built.
Correct, but he hates being a joke, and he's now a joke.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Something else to consider...

While I suspect that even in this pandemic-altered season, the Cowboys — as usual — are still making more money than any other team in the league and continue to turn a profit.

Having said that, if we take into account @75% in lost revenue from home attendance, on-site parking and concessions (the last two losses which are, thankfully, shared with both the city and state, who each receive a yearly cut of said revenue per Jerry’s stadium agreement), plus the @75% loss of on-site merch sales, the Cowboys are likely also taking the biggest hit of any team in the league when it comes to loss of potential 2020 team revenue

Then again, if we factor in the yearly revenue from the AT&T naming rights agreement, which is a long-term deal and doesn’t change because of the current situation, I doubt Jerry’s gonna have to hock his boat anytime soon.
;):rolleyes:
Good post. Trust me, im not worried about the Jones family hurting for money anytime soon. I see a thoughtless post like this though, and I'm likely to challenge the narrative whether I believe it or not.

You were able to take a meaningless post and spit some facts out, and actually make some people think. I appreciate the contribution.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Jerry would trade virtually anything for a Superbowl that wasn't tied to Jimmy.

Anything except giving up the GM role and bringing in someone who has a better chance of making it happen. If Jerry was truly invested in winning, as a few of you suggest, thats where he needs to make the first change to prove all the people who think he's only doing this for money are wrong. He even admitted himself that he sucks at the job, but refuses to give it up. What does that tell us?

RS12

Reaction score
That is all that has really mattered for a quarter century.

GenoT

Reaction score
Good post. Trust me, im not worried about the Jones family hurting for money anytime soon. I see a thoughtless post like this though, and I'm likely to challenge the narrative whether I believe it or not.

You were able to take a meaningless post and spit some facts out, and actually make some people think. I appreciate the contribution.
Thanks, buddy.

Per your original post, you mentioned that most profit goes to valuation of the franchise. I agree, and in the case of the DCs, that profit will likely continue to rise sharply.

A couple of years ago, Jerry stated that while he would never ever sell the team, in a hypothetical scenario, he wouldn’t consider bids below $10bil.

Even at that price, I suspect he’d probably have to fight bidders off with a stick.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Thanks, buddy.

Per your original post, you mentioned that most profit goes to valuation of the franchise. I agree, and in the case of the DCs, that profit will likely continue to rise sharply.

A couple of years ago, Jerry stated that while he would never ever sell the team, in a hypothetical scenario, he wouldn’t consider bids below $10bil.

Even at that price, I suspect he’d probably have to fight bidders off with a stick
I agree. I think they are estimated to be worth about 5 billion now, give that a decade and that'll be chump change. To a younger investor who has 10-20 years to let this grow it would be worth it to make a 10 billion bid.