CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.
Yes, he is defitnitly not the future.
But he is not being paid to be.
Dak is the larger issue.
At his salary he has to provide quality QB play.
So far he has not done that consistently.
Hopefully this will get figured out sooner rather than later,
but I dont know that our front office has the ability to do this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If we could get this running game consistently going we could win a lot of games with Rush mimicking the 2016 rookie season with Dak. He’s proven he’s good enough to manage the game and make timely plays to win.

Having said that, similarly to 2016, he’s not good enough to win it all.

That is going to be tough, put yourself in the shoes of the opposing DC mind. How do you defend Dallas? For me I go in looking to shut down the running game, put Rush in longer yardage situation where he has to throw the ball. Cowboys run game in my view is being effected by our lack of ability in the passing game. Teams can play the run more aggressive. Having said that I don't think the over all lack of passing is all on Rush, Cowboys have been somewhat limited at WR. Fortunately we do have a very tough defense that give OC a tough time and has allowed us to say in striking distance

Aven8

Reaction score
Yes, he is defitnitly not the future.
But he is not being paid to be.
Dak is the larger issue.
At his salary he has to provide quality QB play.
So far he has not done that consistently.
Hopefully this will get figured out sooner rather than later,
but I dont know that our front office has the ability to do this.

I think Dak has been very consistent against the bad teams and very consistent against the good teams too. Our only hope is the team around him now can get us over that hump. They know they are good enough to win with out him now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You don’t think this 25th ranked offense under Rush will lead us to the promise land? Lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
If we could get this running game consistently going we could win a lot of games with Rush mimicking the 2016 rookie season with Dak. He’s proven he’s good enough to manage the game and make timely plays to win.

Having said that, similarly to 2016, he’s not good enough to win it all.
This Rush situation is making me see peoples complaints about Daks contract a bit differently.

There are a very select few of QBs in the league that are in an elite type of category and you can ask them to overcome certain weaknesses on the roster.

Dak isn’t on that list, and also isn’t 50 or 60 (whatever it is) times better than Rush.

I don’t know that Jerry and his kid see it that way. I think they think he is in the elite category. Maybe they have to sell that to save face, but it’s clear they overrate their own players, and #4 is probably the primary example.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let’s see what Dak can do with a Top 10 defense. At least for a couple years. Then we can move on.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think Dak has been very consistent against the bad teams and very consistent against the good teams too. Our only hope is the team around him now can get us over that hump. They know they are good enough to win with out him now.
Be interesting to see how the entire team performs once Dak is back at starter.
Hope they maintain the current offense.
I think it would be Dak friendly.

Aven8

Reaction score
That is going to be tough, put yourself in the shoes of the opposing DC mind. How do you defend Dallas? For me I go in looking to shut down the running game, put Rush in longer yardage situation where he has to throw the ball. Cowboys run game in my view is being effected by our lack of ability in the passing game. Teams can play the run more aggressive. Having said that I don't think the over all lack of passing is all on Rush, Cowboys have been somewhat limited at WR. Fortunately we do have a very tough defense that give OC a tough time and has allowed us to say in striking distance

I get what your saying but I want my football team not to be dictated by anyone. It’s your job to stop me is the way I like it. Having said that, unfortunately we don’t have 2016 Zeke….

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This Rush situation is making me see peoples complaints about Daks contract a bit differently.

There are a very select few of QBs in the league that are in an elite type of category and you can ask them to overcome certain weaknesses on the roster.

Dak isn’t on that list, and also isn’t 50 or 60 (whatever it is) times better than Rush.

I don’t know that Jerry and his kid see it that way. I think they think he is in the elite category. Maybe they have to sell that to save face, but it’s clear they overrate their own players, and #4 is probably the primary example.
Unfortunately we simply can’t trust our dysfunctional ownership priorities. Surely they saw or someone did in our front office that Dak wasn’t Elite level QB. But we paid him anyway and sold it as such.

I’m not sure if they truly believed it or it was just easier to stay the course and sell it as such since he’d had some success. Afterall winning divisions keeps the Cowboys in that relevant and interesting mode Jethro can sell and hype the hell out of. Plus retaining Dak was a move to prove Jethro was right in releasing Romo.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You don’t think this 25th ranked offense under Rush will lead us to the promise land? Lol

Well, in 2018 Dak led Dallas to the 22nd ranked offense (in yards and points) scoring an average of 21.8 points/game while the team finished 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Currently Dallas ranks 27th in points and 24th in yards averaged (which takes into account the week 1 egg against TB).

So what is different with Rush leading Dallas to a 3-0 record (in games he started) while averaging 22.67 points/game when Dak did something similar in 2018?

Aven8

Reaction score

Funny how that works doesn’t it? Anyone complaining about Dlaw this year? Now that he restructured he’s amazing again.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I get what your saying but I want my football team not to be dictated by anyone. It’s your job to stop me is the way I like it. Having said that, unfortunately we don’t have 2016 Zeke….

I don't see it has defense dictating, if teams choose to come up and play the run you force them out of that by the ability to throw the ball. You put 8 or 9 guys up around the line of scrimmage you can shut down run, the down side is you leave yourself open to the pass. Same thing the other way, which is why GB is able to run effectively, defense are more concerned with Rodgers and the passing game that GB is able to do damage with Aaron Jones. With that stacked line Dallas is still running the ball but it is tough sledding

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

:clap::clap::clap:four games, four games I tell ya.....but in their defense, I think it says more about how bad they want Dak replaced rather than how good they think Coop is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, in 2018 Dak led Dallas to the 22nd ranked offense (in yards and points) scoring an average of 21.8 points/game while the team finished 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Currently Dallas ranks 27th in points and 24th in yards averaged (which takes into account the week 1 egg against TB).

So what is different with Rush leading Dallas to a 3-1 record while averaging 22.67 points/game when Dak did something similar in 2018?
That years stats is somewhat skewed since we begun the year 3-5. That offense looked awful until we traded for Cooper and finished the season winning 7 of 8 games. And the offense looked much more potent heading into the playoffs.

I suspect even if Dak comes on strong after his return the first of half of this season offensive woes will effect the seasons end statistically ranking. We shall see.