CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yep. Is he worth 40m? No way, and I think most thought so.

But it was either that or lose him because there are other teams that would have given it to him. They made the right move, but I wouldn’t give him a third contract whether he wins or not. Maybe id do it if he was open to an extremely team friendly situation.

No more than Wilson is worth 48 mill a year, I think all QB are over paid but it is the nature of the position. As others hit FA Dak contract will look even less than it is now which is 8th overall in the NFL.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yep

Most of them are. While Rush has earned a substantial backup QB contract , it’s not likely he’ll be pursued as a Franchise QB around the league. But we better step up and pay him as he won’t clear waivers again.

perhaps!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, I think Dak's ankle injury caused the thumb injury which caused the offensive line and players to suck while playing for dak. I hope Moore can find a "Reading the defense for dummies" guide, and if they do, I hope they pay somebody to read it to Dak. Is the guy who baby sit for Dez available to help Dak?

fivetwos

Reaction score
No more than Wilson is worth 48 mill a year, I think all QB are over paid but it is the nature of the position. As others hit FA Dak contract will look even less than it is now which is 8th overall in the NFL.
It IS indeed out of hand, proportionally with other positions.

But there also a serious supply vs demand issue.

ghst187

Reaction score
I agree 100% but the only problem is that the alternative is not much better. Dak isn't the answer either. Cowboys need to invest is a QB in next years draft.

I’m for an all in on Stroud….

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think referencing college stats as evidence isn't fair. I know we're comparing apples to oranges, but even Mahomes threw like 30 interceptions in 3 years. Ken Dorsey, one of the greatest college QB's of my lifetime, threw way less picks and didn't amount to anything in the NFL (as a player that is).
That’s a fair point CC. I don’t disagree. But because Rush doesn’t have much of a stat sample size, I felt it was relevant to show what he did in college.

Mr_Slicky

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.
Game film is coming soon. Then the DCs of the league will run circles in his head. It’s not a criticism of Rush, it’s just reality of today’s NFL.

terra

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.
So If he were to take us to a SB win you would still claim this?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It will and the idiots that called it will celebrate for what that's worth.

I just hope i get the real Dak back. I have no clue what that crap was against Tampa.

Simply bad.

rags747

Reaction score
Grier has a better arm and better wheels, just sayin.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
It will and the idiots that called it will celebrate for what that's worth.

I just hope i get the real Dak back. I have no clue what that crap was against Tampa.

Simply bad.
Dak is still the better QB. How much is another story.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still think a lot of fans also don’t recognize that the market for paying QBs is crazy out of whack and it’s not based on paying guys for accomplishment. Dak hasn’t done much in the playoffs. He’s definitely not close to a Rodgers, Brady or Mahomes.

But finding even decent QB play in this league is extremely difficult. Having a first round pick to select a QB is a crap shoot at best. Everyone thought Chicago’s Justin Fields was a lock to be great. And he still might. But a year and some change into his career he’s looked woeful. Look at Baker Mayfield. First player selected in the 2018 draft. The browns were done with him by 2022.

My point is this- Finding a QB good enough to start and play well enough to keep you in games and get you to the playoffs is the hardest position to find. It’s why QBs are vastly overpaid. Dak isn’t “elite” but he’s also not pathetic. Thinking all we have to do is go “pick the QB tree” is fool’s gold.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
IMO it's definitely different than Linsanity...and it's the reason I think he can maintain it. He's not winning these games himself with crazy stats and passes. He's just driving the bus and letting those around him eat. Now, there was too many back foot throws this past week and those might bite him....but I think he can keep it going.

Now, all the talk about NFL teams throwing money at him in the offseason - good luck to them, and thank you for the comp pick.