CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Funny how that works doesn’t it? Anyone complaining about Dlaw this year? Now that he restructured he’s amazing again.
So are you thinking Dak should restructure since he's obviously not worth 40 million/year/

mardwin

Reaction score
I think Jason Garrett also won his first 3 starts. He won his first couple as HC, too.

Different situation, this team is winning because of Cooper as well as because of the defense. The running game has been average at best.

The tape doesn't lie, the most difficult aspect for a QB is to read defenses and Rush has been excelling at it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
:clap::clap::clap:four games, four games I tell ya.....but in their defense, I think it says more about how bad they want Dak replaced rather than how good they think Coop is.
Yep

Pretty much this entire group of Rush replacing Prescott can be noted as most of his ardent critics.

While most fans are ecstatic we have a backup we can with.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Unfortunately we simply can’t trust our dysfunctional ownership priorities. Surely they saw or someone did in our front office that Dak wasn’t Elite level QB. But we paid him anyway and sold it as such.

I’m not sure if they truly believed it or it was just easier to stay the course and sell it as such since he’d had some success. Afterall winning divisions keeps the Cowboys in that relevant and interesting mode Jethro can sell and hype the hell out of. Plus retaining Dak was a move to prove Jethro was right in releasing Romo.
Yep I agree, and I also think paying him was the right move. They backed themselves into that situation. Even when it was suggested that they bring in a developmental QB, it was always like ‘Daks our guy.’

There’s definitely an element of overrating him when it comes to ownership, and it’s a worthy topic if Jerry is gonna go the Seattle route, or give him something like a 4/200 extension two years from now.

Maybe the Denver fans were all pumped up over Wilson, and maybe they sold some tickets, but can’t tell me that the Seattle brain trust isn’t grinning today.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Funny how that works doesn’t it? Anyone complaining about Dlaw this year? Now that he restructured he’s amazing again.
Ha yes.

Having a very nice season at DE doesn’t hurt!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Let’s see what Dak can do with a Top 10 defense. At least for a couple years. Then we can move on.

Your going to see it, thats the thing, better hope the OC stays with this current scheme and Dak gets his head straight. Dak is a better QB than Rush and with this defense if we dont go back to Air Raid BS the offense will look better and give us a chance to beat teams in the playoffs...Dak is here for 2 years minimum unless something crazy happens that defies that contract.

starfan1

Reaction score
But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

they are quite simply dak trolls. No one with a sensible football IQ thinks Rush is better than Dak and thinks hes the future but of course on this site sensible football IQ can be limited when it comes to the QB. I dont care what the QB makes thats not one factor in my fandom its not my money. I think thats a huge driving force in all this stupidity. Great were 3-0 with the back up even though 2 of them were in the division a feat the regualr QB gets no credit for.

Im hoping he goes 5-0 thats good for the cowboys and gives the STARTER more time to heal. We can start to have a reasonable conversation (well maybe) if he accomplishes that and when and if Dak comes back and flops depending on how looks doing so.
hopefully Moore continues the same scheme moving forward

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep I agree, and I also think paying him was the right move. They backed themselves into that situation. Even when it was suggested that they bring in a developmental QB, it was always like ‘Daks our guy.’

There’s definitely an element of overrating him when it comes to ownership, and it’s a worthy topic if Jerry is gonna go the Seattle route, or give him something like a 4/200 extension two years from now.

Maybe the Denver fans were all pumped up over Wilson, and maybe they sold some tickets, but can’t tell me that the Seattle brain trust isn’t grinning today.
I would have no problem if we decided to move on from Dak at that point. We could have drafted another one while we had him Franchised. We could have even franchise tag him another season if we needed another season to draft or develop someone .

But once you decide you want to keep him then unfortunately over paying him is part of the Market Price process .

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.

Great post. Rush has done exactly what you hope your backup can do win games and keep your season going. He is limited and in a larger sample size would struggle. Hence why he is a backup. This is not to say Dak has some limitations as well but overall he is the better QB in a larger sample size. Also doesn't mean I think Dak is the answer. At 40 million he has to play better it's that simple.

leeblair

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.
Well, let's hope someone finds his glass slipper and returns it to him so he can take his rightful place on the throne.
It's not simply fans ready to annoint Cooper Rush- we know Rush is just starting and could have struggles.
It's because we KNOW that Dak isn't the answer, and HAVE KNOWN IT for some time.
But Rush shows that he understands what he is supposed to be doing, and that's better than Dak.
It's been awesome to finally get to see the Cowboys play the way we hope they will for the last three weeks.
This is Jerry's last shot at a winner. He best not screw this up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
they are quite simply dak trolls. No one with a sensible football IQ thinks Rush is better than Dak and thinks hes the future but of course on this site sensible football IQ can be limited when it comes to the QB. I dont care what the QB makes thats not one factor in my fandom its not my money. I think thats a huge driving force in all this stupidity. Great were 3-0 with the back up even though 2 of them were in the division a feat the regualr QB gets no credit for.

Im hoping he goes 5-0 thats good for the cowboys and gives the STARTER more time to heal. We can start to have a reasonable conversation (well maybe) if he accomplishes that and when and if Dak comes back and flops depending on how looks doing so.
Yep

Most of them are. While Rush has earned a substantial backup QB contract , it’s not likely he’ll be pursued as a Franchise QB around the league. But we better step up and pay him as he won’t clear waivers again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great post. Rush has done exactly what you hope your backup can do win games and keep your season going. He is limited and in a larger sample size would struggle. Hence why he is a backup. This is not to say Dak has some limitations as well but overall he is the better QB in a larger sample size. Also doesn't mean I think Dak is the answer. At 40 million he has to play better it's that simple.
Well said!!

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score

It's gonna strike at 5:32 left in the first quarter

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would have no problem if we decided to move on from Dak at that point. We could have drafted another one while we had him Franchised. We could have even franchise tag him another season if we needed another season to draft or develop someone .

But once you decide you want to keep him then unfortunately over paying him is part of the Market Price process .
Yep. Is he worth 40m? No way, and I think most thought so.

But it was either that or lose him because there are other teams that would have given it to him. They made the right move, but I wouldn’t give him a third contract whether he wins or not. Maybe id do it if he was open to an extremely team friendly situation.

Shane612

Reaction score

I don't know anyone here who've thinks Rush is a long term solution....