Twitter: AT&T Stadium loses 2026 FIFA World Cup Final bid to Metlife Stadium

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's unfortunate because it would have been an economic boom to the area, Jerry's happiness or not.
The area gets 9 WC games. Most of anyone.
It will be the biggest boon of any DFW event in modern history.
The Final would have made it even more awesome but they get a Semi-final.

I am thankful I live far north away from the stadium tbh.
It will be nuts.

1942willys

Reaction score
It will be the biggest boon of any event in modern history.

It will be nuts.
biggest boon in modern history?
wow
thanks I needed a laugh

StylisticS

Reaction score
And how did you come to know this? :laugh:
I mean if you ask most international fans their favorite US cities, it’s NYC, LA, or Miami. NYC has tons more things to do than Dallas and it’s the grandest city this country has to offer. Not to mention, it’s easier to get around NYC and NJ than the metroplex. I love DFW but the biggest sporting event in the world easily should go to NY or LA.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean if you ask most international fans their favorite US cities, it’s NYC, LA, or Miami. NYC has tons more things to do than Dallas and it’s the grandest city this country has to offer. Not to mention, it’s easier to get around NYC and NJ than the metroplex. I love DFW but the biggest sporting event in the world easily should go to NY or LA.
Oh I am not denying it. But it was just the way it was posted, made me laugh, and had to ask. :laugh:

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I plan to spend a small fortune to see a group game at AT&T. Major bucket list item to see a WC game live. The fact that it will benefit Jerry will almost ruin the moment tho.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Overall.....still a MASSIVE win for the Dallas area and Jerry anyway.

They are hosting NINE World Cup games, including a semifinal

It looks like as many as 6 "elimination games" with 4 knockout games and 2 game 3s in the group of 4s.

vlad

Reaction score
I plan to spend a small fortune to see a group game at AT&T. Major bucket list item to see a WC game live. The fact that it will benefit Jerry will almost ruin the moment tho.
Seeing a premier league game in the UK, or a game in Barcelona… American sporting events are just mundane comparatively. They go nuts over there.

nobody

Reaction score
It will be the biggest boon of any DFW event in modern history.

It will be nuts.
Generally, most cities lose money in the long run as they secure this sort of stuff then have to do all sorts of civic upgrades to accommodate it. Fortunately D/FW is already mostly prepared for such venues and thus should benefit. However, it won't be as big of a boon as most would thing.

The traffic is going to be a nightmare. I'm glad I don't live near Arlington.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
biggest boon in modern history?
wow
thanks I needed a laugh
Name the bigger economic impact on DFW?

It is a month long event that can only be topped by the Olympics which has never featured heavily in DFW.
Teams from all over the world (that travel very well) will land in DFW as it has games from opening round all the way through the semi-finals.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Generally, most cities lose money in the long run as they secure this sort of stuff then have to do all sorts of civic upgrades to accommodate it. Fortunately D/FW is already mostly prepared for such venues and thus should benefit. However, it won't be as big of a boon as most would thing.

The traffic is going to be a nightmare. I'm glad I don't live near Arlington.
Those are places that just money whip the committee to win the bids like Qatar.

---------------------
The US World Cup launched a new era of slick commercial management. Hosted in several cities and supported by big-brand sponsors such as Adidas and Coca-Cola, it delivered a total profit of $620m to LA alone during the final – $440m more than the Super Bowl made in the same year.

basel90

Reaction score
lack of a ubiquitous mass transit Subway Metro network was probably the strongest negative.

Zordon

Reaction score
Perhaps but still like someone else said. The final of the biggest sporting event and grandest sport in world belongs in one of the grandest cities in the world. I still think they would have chosen MetLife.
Most def. I'm actually surprised Dallas was in the running. Doubt DFW is even the top tourist destination in Texas. But if they were to pull off the upset or gain more big time events like this down the line, then the stadium needs to be in a city center IMO.

A lot of folks have really stuck on Laura Miller as a reason for the stadium being outside Dallas proper.
The arguments are compelling.

I tend to lean to the fact the committee wanted it in NYC, period.
Dallas will have a feature role but NYC or LA was always going to Host the Final IMHO.

And it isn't lost on me that this isn't really NYC.

Jerry did politic and work for this big-time so I am sure he is at least mildly bummed but he has been anging for McGregor UFC or Mayweather boxing here for half a decade at least as well so he is used to getting turned out.
lol I admit I have a grudge with her even though reading more about the backstory it wasn't totally her fault.

It's just when I think about all the great things happening in DFW, I feel like the only thing holding it back from being a world-class city is a vibrant city center which could have been solved by having America's Team downtown.

I do wonder if the lack of public transportation to the stadium was a big turn off for the Europeans. I have heard Jerry has been hesitant about that b/c it would cut into his parking money.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Really a no brainer for the final if you ask me.
It is for anyone except the folks who have actually been to the Met/Meadowlands lol.

It is over an hour on the metro which will be slam packed for the hour before each match.
And driving it is nearly impossible.
You'd be best off swimming lol.
And it is in Jersey City, New Jersey ((yuck x 10))

As an 8th grader on a school trip staying in Jersey City my floor was evacuated because some college kid was mad that his gf was chatting/talking to an 8th grade boy............
He cherry bombed the hall in front of that kids room and we all had to move.

But Arlington is also pretty wack if I am being honest.