At what point must we make a move for DE?

Reaction score
Crossing fingers on Ty Crawford. But first 2 weeks, no Irving, no Damontre Moore, maybe no Crawford. So we're left with only D Law, Mayowa, Taco, Tapper. Not good. At what point do you sign a guy like Dwight Freeney or Mario Williams, or coax D Ware out of retirement? You can always cut Freeney or Williams after 2 or 4 games when the others return.

CWR

Reaction score
Crossing finger on Ty Crawford. But first 2 weeks, no Irving, no Damontre Moore, maybe no Crawford. So we're left with only D Law, Mayowa, Taco, Tapper. Not good. At what point do you sign a guy like Dwight Freeney or Mario Williams, or coax D Ware out of retirement? You can always cut Freeney or Williams after 2 or 4 games when the others return.

Now-ish would be good for me.

remdak

Reaction score
Probably not until teams make their final cuts.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
pending the prognosis for Crawford and whether we sustain more d-line injuries, i would have to think we'll be major players this year before the trade deadline

diefree666

Reaction score
DE's that can rush the passer are not let go unless they are done or total headcases. The odds of us getting anything via waivers or cuts is pretty low. And a trade would be expensive unless its player for player. Now what do we have that is more than we need? Then look for someone that might have a decent rusher but a big need for what we have in excess.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I would have made a move yesterday lol... now after the injury?! Well-- hopefully JJ can make a deal and get us some help

Reactions: BAT

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
At this pt I think dallas does something. Im leaning towards them picking someone up after cuts. Trade happening is probably minimal imo

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
They might pick up somebody that has been cut by another team. But otherwise it's next man up I'm afraid.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There won't be any significant DE released I am afraid. A trade would be the only route for a good one but it will cost a kings ransom, especially now. They will do what Rod does best, keep throwing bodies at em :(

Reaction score
If vested vets are on the game one roster their salary is guaranteed for the year.

Right. But assuming the minimum, or close to it, still can cut them. With the roster exemptions we have for Irving and Moore, and the cap room I believe we have (or can make), I believe it's worth doing for insurance and so that we dont get off to a slow start.

diefree666

Reaction score
Right. But assuming the minimum, or close to it, still can cut them. With the roster exemptions we have for Irving and Moore, and the cap room I believe we have (or can make), I believe it's worth doing for insurance and so that we dont get off to a slow start.
wish we had gone after Freeney last year; yeah his stats were not great but from all accounts his leadership and teaching others really made a difference.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crossing fingers on Ty Crawford. But first 2 weeks, no Irving, no Damontre Moore, maybe no Crawford. So we're left with only D Law, Mayowa, Taco, Tapper. Not good. At what point do you sign a guy like Dwight Freeney or Mario Williams, or coax D Ware out of retirement? You can always cut Freeney or Williams after 2 or 4 games when the others return.
They normally only have 4 DEs active on game day. Taco and Tapper are a bit inexperienced but they would be the backups with DLaw and Mayoway as the starters.

They could use the 3-3-5 more often. I would like to see Jaylon at SLB in that alignment because he was a terrific pass rusher in college.

Reaction score
They normally only have 4 DEs active on game day. Taco and Tapper are a bit inexperienced but they would be the backups with DLaw and Mayoway as the starters.

They could use the 3-3-5 more often. I would like to see Jaylon at SLB in that alignment because he was a terrific pass rusher in college.

I just dont think we can go into opening day, division rival game with two rookies as our only DE depth.

Reactions: BAT