At what point must we make a move for DE?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There won't be any significant DE released I am afraid. A trade would be the only route for a good one but it will cost a kings ransom, especially now. They will do what Rod does best, keep throwing bodies at em :(
Yes, probably not someone that would be ready to function in the scheme for game 1. They could find a David Irving type player that somebody tries to slide to the practice squad, but Irving would not have been ready immediately.

A trade for a mid-tier type DE would be questionable because once everyone is back they have about 7 DEs already; although, Irving or Crawford would likely play more DT at that point.
Taco
Tapper
Mayowa
DLaw
Crawford
Moore
Irving

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Not much available, Mario has an arrest, Ware is retired, while Freeney and Jason Jones are the best options left. We'll obviously have to wait and see the injury status, but It's 3 or 4 months the Cowboys will have to make a move.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, probably not someone that would be ready to function in the scheme for game 1. They could find a David Irving type player that somebody tries to slide to the practice squad, but Irving would not have been ready immediately.

A trade for a mid-tier type DE would be questionable because once everyone is back they have about 7 DEs already; although, Irving or Crawford would likely play more DT at that point.
Taco
Tapper
Mayowa
DLaw
Crawford
Moore
Irving

Agreed.

With Moore coming back after game 2 and Irving after game 4... I can't see them making a play for a "name" DE.

That being typed...

If it's a low-ankle sprain I think Crawford plays in the first game.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It won't be the most popular opinion but I believe in the guys we got. You guys complain about no pass rush so 4 more games will do what? We won 13 games last season with "no pass rush"

I think upgrading the LBs and secondary will help the DL. I think Collins takes a huge step forward, Mayowa, Lawrence, Paea and Thornton have all had success in this league. Taco and Tapper are young and fresh so I think especially against the Giants will help.

We go 3-1 maybe 4-0 first month now haters you can speak

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just dont think we can go into opening day, division rival game with two rookies as our only DE depth.
You won't like it, but Wilber has played DE before. He could be the 5th DE with Moore returning after 2 games. It's not ideal, but it could work if Tapper and Taco absorb the scheme quickly. They don't have to be great, they just need to be functional backups. Actually Tapper should have good scheme knowledge already since he's been here for a year.

There's probably some ex-Marnielli player that's at the end of his career that they could bring in and would already know the scheme.

Roster bubble players:
Desmond Bryant
Courtney Upshaw
George Johnson

Already cut:
Marcus Smith

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It won't be the most popular opinion but I believe in the guys we got. You guys complain about no pass rush so 4 more games will do what? We won 13 games last season with "no pass rush"

I think upgrading the LBs and secondary will help the DL. I think Collins takes a huge step forward, Mayowa, Lawrence, Paea and Thornton have all had success in this league. Taco and Tapper are young and fresh so I think especially against the Giants will help.

We go 3-1 maybe 4-0 first month now haters you can speak
Let rush this joint... my body is willing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the Cowboys were kicking Crawford inside?
Good question. There was a report from Broaddus or one of his minions that claims Crawford has locked up the LDE position.

They only have 3 near-locks for DT other than Crawford and Irving who is suspended.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed.

With Moore coming back after game 2 and Irving after game 4... I can't see them making a play for a "name" DE.

That being typed...

If it's a low-ankle sprain I think Crawford plays in the first game.
He has tended to play through injury. Not always effectively, but he has continued to play through shoulder injuries the past two seasons.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Who's available?

Here's a small sampling from Spotrac........looks pretty current. However, one thing I've noticed about Garrett and his coaches over the years regarding outside free agents. As a rule, they DO NOT like bring in free agents that have NO previous history with either the team or one of the assist coaches ( notice out quickly Durant was resigned couple weeks although there were a couple better younger LBer available). Other words, don't surprise- even if Crawford is out for the season-they don't stand pat. IMO it would likely take losing 2-3 more DLs before they would consider any of the players below.........

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/

Mario Williams DE 32 MIA TBD -
Tyson Jackson DE 31 ATL TBD -
Glenn Dorsey DE 32 SF TBD -
Eugene Sims DE 31 LA TBD -
Vance Walker DE 30 DEN TBD -
Tony Jerod-Eddie DE 27 SF TBD -
Cullen Jenkins DE 36 WAS TBD -
Antonio Smith DE 35 HOU TBD -
Kendall Reyes DE 27 KC TBD -
John Hughes DE 29 TB TBD -
Scott Crichton DE 25 BUF TBD -
Greg Scruggs DE 26 NE TBD -
Mike Catapano DE 26 NYJ TBD -
Julien Obioha DE 23 NYJ TBD -
David Bass DE 26 TEN TBD

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crossing fingers on Ty Crawford. But first 2 weeks, no Irving, no Damontre Moore, maybe no Crawford. So we're left with only D Law, Mayowa, Taco, Tapper. Not good. At what point do you sign a guy like Dwight Freeney or Mario Williams, or coax D Ware out of retirement? You can always cut Freeney or Williams after 2 or 4 games when the others return.

Why exactly would it be panic mode if you're down to Lawrence, Taco, Tapper and Mayowa? The team invested handsomely in two of those players, used a mid round pick on another and the last guy had half a dozen sacks last year.

I'm not saying it's a murderer's row or anything but it's also not must get DeMarcus Ware out of retirement either. Especially with Moore and Irving due back early in the season.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Can't they just scheme something for a game or two? They've got Jaylon Smith and Cheeto who are both supposed to be excellent blitzers. Why not try to get pressure from another position on a temporary basis?

waldoputty

Reaction score
sheldon richardson is the only 'named' player who is probably available.
but after crawford, he will get more expensive.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Totally agree. We have three guys at RDE in DLaw, Mayowa and Tapper. The issue is LDE and even if Crawford misses significant time Taco and Tapper could hold the position down until Irving comes back in Game 5.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We missed the window to add an impact player. We might add somebody at cutdowns, but it won't be anybody special. We've gotta roll with what we've got now.

At least it sounds like Crawford will be back.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Wait until team make roster cuts. We might find a gem or someone who has a little bit more left in the tank. Also dont rule out a trade.

DE's and pass rushers are at a premium in today's game. Teams know getting to the QB helps you win. If we are depending on roster cut guys to come in here and help, that isn't good strategy. Teams don't cut or trade pass rushers worth anything.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Crossing fingers on Ty Crawford. But first 2 weeks, no Irving, no Damontre Moore, maybe no Crawford. So we're left with only D Law, Mayowa, Taco, Tapper. Not good. At what point do you sign a guy like Dwight Freeney or Mario Williams, or coax D Ware out of retirement? You can always cut Freeney or Williams after 2 or 4 games when the others return.
The four you mentioned --- D Law if he is here --- will hold the fort. Taco as 3rd string.
Its our linebackers who will be the sieve and make the DEs look bad.