Available Cap Space

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

With Lamb signed, it looks like only Diggs and the DT 3rd rounder are the only rookies yet to be signed.

That should leave Dallas with about 8 million in cap space.
Save it for next season.it will be important to roll it over because the cap will be reduced next year. Going to be around 175 million!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New TV contracts may give it a boost. Could be about the same if not more.

Say if it does drop to $175 million. But the TV contracts could bump it back up to $200 million.
I think they are up after this year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Save it for next season.it will be important to roll it over because the cap will be reduced next year. Going to be around 175 million!

That's the minimum.

Also, we've got a good amount of flexibility to spread out cap hits on some of the extensions we gave out. Zeke, Collins, Jaylon, Cooper... those guys have guaranteed money in 2021 - we can squeeze out a good bit of space by converting salary to bonus - likely had planned to do that all along.

Also, many opportunities to add bogus extensions to deals (i.e., extend Tyron with non-guaranteed years).

fivetwos

Reaction score
We should accelerate some of next year’s money into this year and use up the entire cap. Or just sign Everson Griffen to a one year deal.
I think the luxury of signing anyone else for this year has sailed with the cap reduction.

Besides, we only reactively fill holes as they become glaringly obvious....to the people running the team, which is quite often well after the fans see it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The 175 was a starting point offered by owners. Expect it to be more like 185-190 but your point is correct.

Keep in mind Dallas will cut a few down roster vets and save 2-3M at least in those moves.
For instance they won;t keep 2 kickers and guys like Joe Thomas will need to earn those back up jobs.

I expect DAL to roll over at least 10M.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's the minimum.

Also, we've got a good amount of flexibility to spread out cap hits on some of the extensions we gave out. Zeke, Collins, Jaylon, Cooper... those guys have guaranteed money in 2021 - we can squeeze out a good bit of space by converting salary to bonus - likely had planned to do that all along.

Also, many opportunities to add bogus extensions to deals (i.e., extend Tyron with non-guaranteed years).
Thank you!!
Arguing with KD on twitter about this with limited chars, gave me tired head but yes.

Dallas is actually one of the teams in the best shape.
They owe 179M right now for next year and will likely carry over ~10M.

Of they total about 140M is BASE hits so is subject to reduction by ~33% So they could fairly easy make about 45M in cap space.
Which they will do to tag Dak.
Then if they extend Dak his hit drops to as little as 11M
They roll over the 27M or so for the next season eating the restructured dollars for 2021.

Because Dallas has been true to the cap they now can use the same mechanisms teams like Philly and NO have been using.
Those two teams will have serious issues next year because they have very few built in outs. --NO could just go with a cheap QB in 2021 to help offset their issues.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
New TV contracts may give it a boost. Could be about the same if not more.

Say if it does drop to $175 million. But the TV contracts could bump it back up to $200 million.
I think they are up after this year.
Current tv contracts go through 2022, so 2023 would be the first year of a new contract.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Thank you!!
Arguing with KD on twitter about this with limited chars, gave me tired head but yes.

Dallas is actually one of the teams in the best shape.
They owe 179M right now for next year and will likely carry over ~10M.

Of they total about 140M is BASE hits so is subject to reduction by ~33% So they could fairly easy make about 45M in cap space.
Which they will do to tag Dak.
Then if they extend Dak his hit drops to as little as 11M
They roll over the 27M or so for the next season eating the restructured dollars for 2021.

Because Dallas has been true to the cap they now can use the same mechanisms teams like Philly and NO have been using.
Those two teams will have serious issues next year because they have very few built in outs. --NO could just go with a cheap QB in 2021 to help offset their issues.

Really, the only looming issue is Dak's deal. We certainly still are going to want five years but may have a bit less leverage as the tag will eat far more of the cap than biting the bullet on a four year deal.

I'm a bit skeptical that the cap will go as low as the minimum though. If there is a season, I'd be surprised there aren't discussions with networks to diversify their coverage as they are bound to be losing money without as much college football. If the league went to each network and offered to move a game each week to Saturdays to broaden broadcast opportunities, that could generate a ton of money to offset attendance. If there is one thing that baseball showed us, a hell of a lot more people will be watching sports if it is available.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I thought that if revenues go down the salary cap goes down. So the player pool goes down. I don’t know how player contracts work but if revenue goes down let’s say 10 percent. Player salaries go down 4%. Owners absorb the rest.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I still wish we’d release Crawford and use the $16 million in cap room to sign Clowney.

It would improve the team significantly and we’d get a 3rd round pick when he signs somewhere else next season.

Signing Clowney would put a cherry on a great offseason.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Really, the only looming issue is Dak's deal. We certainly still are going to want five years but may have a bit less leverage as the tag will eat far more of the cap than biting the bullet on a four year deal.

I'm a bit skeptical that the cap will go as low as the minimum though. If there is a season, I'd be surprised there aren't discussions with networks to diversify their coverage as they are bound to be losing money without as much college football. If the league went to each network and offered to move a game each week to Saturdays to broaden broadcast opportunities, that could generate a ton of money to offset attendance. If there is one thing that baseball showed us, a hell of a lot more people will be watching sports if it is available.
No doubt.
I fully expect a deal around 185-190M for next year's cap AT WORST.
NFL teams weren't going to jeapordize a season and neither were players.
There's actually more money to be spent now on sports with less viable entertainment options.
And masked crowds will turn out for sure and mask restrictions may well be lifted by the playoffs.

DAL has options to create cap space and people need to understand chronology when discussing cap.
DAL can create space, tag Dak, extend Dak(trade him or remove tag in insanely low chance that occurs), sign FA and sign draft class.
Cap Armageddon folks assume you need all the cap at once. you don't.

If you say eat all 37.7M for Dak next year for some reason it's really no different than eating 20M of other guys(that you rolled over) and 18M for an extended Dak.
Someones money was always going to be lower versus the cap with higher hits later.

Now could it be an issue if say this carried on for 3 years? Sure.
Is that likely? VERY VERY unlikely.
We've faced this now once in the last 50 years.

End of day numbers folks need to know is 140M. That's how much of the DAL scheduled cap charge is base salaries which can be finessed endlessly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I still wish we’d release Crawford and use the $16 million in cap room to sign Clowney.

It would improve the team significantly and we’d get a 3rd round pick when he signs somewhere else next season.

Signing Clowney would put a cherry on a great offseason.
With the cap uncertainty it wouldn't be worth it which is why DAL is out.

DAL can cut Crawford and save money on final cut down day if they choose.
Possibly no need to spend that money at all, they can roll it over
They need to see Aldon Smith first.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That's the minimum.

Good points, do we have any big free agents coming up next year?