News: Awuzie as a safety?

Ky31

Reaction score
You made a blanket statement based on poor logic. I called you on it. Next time you want others to treat you w/ respect, think about what you post and how you can back it up w/ facts and logic.
This dude has never had a clue...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While poking around on the intrawebs, I came across this article from 10 months ago regarding switching Chido to safety. I’m not sure how reputable the website is and I’ve never heard of the writer, so take it however you will.

But... considering many folks here at CZ feel that Chido is a bad cornerback, it is an intriguing and compelling argument.

Enjoy... or don’t. Lol

https://sportdfw.com/2019/03/07/dallas-cowboys-forget-earl-thomas-make-chidobe-awuzie-new-safety/

Chido is a solid CB. Nothing more, nothing less. If the Cowboys defense can begin to stop the run and rush the passer better his play will probably improve. If they don't, it probably wont.

Jones is probably gone and you cant replace your entire secondary in one season. If a top corner is available in the first round, I bet we take him. It also falls along the line of "follow the money".

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
and If he getting torn up as a nickel CB, he doesn't stand a chance outside on a island and especially in an expanded starting role.
Its actually harder to cover a slot WR versus an outside WR. That's why Cole Beas was Mr. FirstDown for us.

The slot WR has a wider two way go and a lot of your outside routes go upfield where the safeties are. Man to man in the slot is brutal, because there is little to no safety help and all of the traffic on inside routes.

efh313

Reaction score
While poking around on the intrawebs, I came across this article from 10 months ago regarding switching Chido to safety. I’m not sure how reputable the website is and I’ve never heard of the writer, so take it however you will.

But... considering many folks here at CZ feel that Chido is a bad cornerback, it is an intriguing and compelling argument.

Enjoy... or don’t. Lol

https://sportdfw.com/2019/03/07/dallas-cowboys-forget-earl-thomas-make-chidobe-awuzie-new-safety/
I would set the over under at 3 games before Awuzie figures out that at safety the only thing BEHIND him is the darn Goal Post and he can actually TURN HIS HEAD AROUND!!!!!

Nah... 3 may be too low...
:muttley:

fivetwos

Reaction score
The guy wasnt interested in tackling in the second Philly game.

Not sure how that makes you an ideal safety.

This team has forever needed an enforcer back there to lead the defense....and 24 ain't it.

Sorry

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Enjoy... or don’t. Lol

You found my old post after the 2017 draft. Their should be about 20-50 of those post of the last 3 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not to mention he is yet another classic example of someone contaminated by this culture.

He is truly the poster boy for those who need to be run out of here as soon as it makes sense.

I'd honestly rather go with an UDFA. Really, no one could be much worse in coverage.

quickccc

Reaction score

Its actually harder to cover a slot WR versus an outside WR. That's why Cole Beas was Mr. FirstDown for us.

The slot WR has a wider two way go and a lot of your outside routes go upfield where the safeties are. Man to man in the slot is brutal, because there is little to no safety help and all of the traffic on inside routes.

Beasley had his career best day vs Jordan,.. mind you his best day ever as a pro, and easily his game all season vs Jordan - vs other opposing nickel , slot CBs.
But Beasley did not torch them as he did Jordan. Why ? Because Lewis has average man coverage skills.

And slot is a more limited area than it is on the outside, and what people also don't realize, is Jordan has had issues vs speed receivers - another reason why he doesn't factor on the island by himself
and cannot be considered a starting candidate on the outside.

kskboys

Reaction score
Where is this thuggish attitude coming from? I know you are capable of having a civil conversation so, how 'bout it? Give it a try.

What blanket statement are you talking about? That doesn't give you carte blanche to be a wise guy. You didn't call me out on anything,
Apologies for anything. I think the site bickering and name calling is getting to me. Wish they'd put a stop to it.

What I should have said: Just because we tried it once or twice doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Many CB's are moved to S, amongst them Earl Thomas, Malcolm Jenkins, and Devin McCourty. Trying Roo at S was not a horrific idea, and he wasn't terrible there.

FanSince71

Reaction score
You found my old post after the 2017 draft. Their should be about 20-50 of those post of the last 3 years.

I didn’t find the article on an old post from CZ, but apologies for missing it before and starting a new thread about an old subject. I’m ready for some offseason and draft talk to pick up soon.

FanSince71

Reaction score
Great plan. Now we have Lewis and...........?

I understand what you’re saying, but we are light at cornerback AND safety - Awuzie moving from CB to S opens one spot, but fills another. Remember a few years back when we dumped Brandon Carr, Barry Church, Mo Claiborne, Orlando Scandrick and JJ Wilcox all at once? We actually improved from a purge in one offseason.

I’m not even suggesting that Awuzie would be a good safety, but I thought it was an interesting idea. I mean, they tried Jameill Showers at safety, for Pete’s sake!!! lol

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
The scheme didn't do any of our corners any good. I'm very curious to see how Nolan schemes to our CB's .

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Apologies for anything. I think the site bickering and name calling is getting to me. Wish they'd put a stop to it.

What I should have said: Just because we tried it once or twice doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Many CB's are moved to S, amongst them Earl Thomas, Malcolm Jenkins, and Devin McCourty. Trying Roo at S was not a horrific idea, and he wasn't terrible there.
There you go, that was much more pleasant and you made your point. Thank you. However, agree to disagree.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ill let the new staff figure it out, they have a lot, I mean A LOT of work on that side of the ball given there is like 18 FAS to resign or let go of our own and then go replace them,.. this should allow Nolan a clean slate in what defense he wants to run and how to fit the pieces in or vice versa..

this is a goodtime to get new coaches because of all the flexibility they will have in the draft and FA to replace like half the starters and all the backups..so come draft time instead of drafting for scheme, they draft the best players available on defense and then create a scheme for their skillset..

no more Marinelli's GUYs needed and wasted drafts..you pick the best defenders and create a defense around their skills..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
While I totally agree with the article in that Awuzie’s skill set is more suitable to and off line/ cushion coverage, and zone schemes where he can best be in a forward moving position
with the ball in front of him,

He would still would have the same problems he had at CB. … no ball skills … not a ball hawk. You don’t see that anticipation to read-react and jump balls.
Even going back to his college days at Colorado, he was never a ballhawk ( 3 total INTs) I’ve always thought this was the wrong scheme for him.

Could he be physical and resilient enough to handle the pounding that a safety constantly has to with run support tackling ? Possible.
But I don’t see a Malcolm Jenkins here.

- And here’s another problem, we have to quickly find a replacement for him at starting LCB role, …and sorry I know Jordan Lewis has his fan-fare, but he is not a starter outside.
And it’s a question if he is a suitable 3rd CB as I thought he struggled in his role as slot CB.
Jordan definitely has the INT skills you want, but he also has just average man coverage skills- epitome of a give-take CB.

- Also if we move Awuzie to safety, what becomes of Xavier Woods ? and the X-men is not the SS, in the box type.

IMO - Chido would have to play FS.
XW or JL would have to be your nickel.
Would you move JL outside? maybe, but it might not work very well against the bigger receivers no matter how good a position he was in.
You are still looking for an upgrade at SS.
If you manage to retain Byron, I think you have some flexibility to experiment with where everyone lines up. If you lose him, lots of pieces that may or may not fit into the puzzle.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Beasley had his career best day vs Jordan,.. mind you his best day ever as a pro, and easily his game all season vs Jordan - vs other opposing nickel , slot CBs.
But Beasley did not torch them as he did Jordan. Why ? Because Lewis has average man coverage skills.

And slot is a more limited area than it is on the outside, and what people also don't realize, is Jordan has had issues vs speed receivers - another reason why he doesn't factor on the island by himself
and cannot be considered a starting candidate on the outside.
I think you underestimate how motivated Beasley was and he knew previous regime was too stupid to adjust to stop him.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not to mention he is yet another classic example of someone contaminated by this culture.

He is truly the poster boy for those who need to be run out of here as soon as it makes sense.

I'd honestly rather go with an UDFA. Really, no one could be much worse in coverage.
you may be right about "contamination" but there are many who are much worse in coverage.

quickccc

Reaction score
The scheme didn't do any of our corners any good. I'm very curious to see how Nolan schemes to our CB's .

Actually the scheme was perfect for Byron Jones, who Richard immediately converted over from safety to CB upon his arrival, made sure Jones stayed in a
press bump n run press in coverage to use his size and closing speed to out physical and wear down WRs,.

- and if you look at the measurements of both Lewis and Anthony brown, you could see that there isn't much outright differences between the two in terms of size,
but was there a difference in the way they play in man coverage at the 3rd CB role.

- also Nolan is gonna have to deal with the same issues that Richard (which all the DBs were here before he arrived) ..not enough playmakers. .
Lewis by far has that kind of ball hawk INT ability, but he also has just average man coverage skills.
and I'm willing to bet that it was what Richard was seeing and deciding that what was keeping Lewis from advancing over Brown.

- I really think both Xavier and Heath have hands and ball skills for the INT- but it's something about them that they are too often out of position, too often is a trail position
and late arriving or maybe they were conservative in thinking of not giving up the big catch and less about jump towards the ball. Heath is far best as centerfielder in middle than
in- box close to line safety. He hasn't been near the same INT playmaker since moving to strong safety. Tackling at times was an issue. .
Xavier even made NFC D-player of the week, but his overall presence for the year was far too many games apart with no plays.

Be interested with Nolan, Harris and Lundquist if we will see Cover 1 and 3 schemes ,. or even Cover 2, which is more so zone.