Ayers off Market; signed by Giants

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe its me, but I have no reason to believe our offense is going to be anywhere near the juggernaut folks think it will be to think we can rely on them to win ball games. Perhaps Linehan or whatever his name is from Detroit will be the difference maker but I thought we struggled to find the end zone last year.

We really didn't struggle finding the end zone last year. Almost any way you cut it, we were pretty effective scoring when we had the ball.

DTown214

Reaction score
Can't believe we didn't even make an effort to sign Ayers... and now our division continues to get stronger

dcjules

Reaction score
Rotoworld's top remaining free agents:
Defensive Ends

17. Anthony Spencer
20. Will Smith
21. Brett Keisel
23. Ricardo Mathews
24. Adam Carriker
26. Jason Hunter
29. Andre Carter

Defensive Tackles
9. Kevin Williams
11. Pat Sims
17. Ryan Pickett
21. Mike Patterson
22. Terrence Cody
23. Johnny Jolly
32. Colin Cole
33. Aubrayo Franklin
35. Isaac Sopoaga
36. Gary Gibson
37. Kyle Love

Spencer if "healthy" and cost effective....Possibly Kevin Williams on a 1 yr deal...Lets hope for some 6/1 cuts.

The Natural

Reaction score
We really didn't struggle finding the end zone last year. Almost any way you cut it, we were pretty effective scoring when we had the ball.

I guess games like SD, GB, PHI, NO, KC where we score 0, 10, 12, 7, and 6 points in the 2nd half respectively have my mind a little foggy, my bad

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess games like SD, GB, PHI, NO, KC where we score 0, 10, 12, 7, and 6 points in the 2nd half respectively have my mind a little foggy, my bad

Welcome to the NFL, where scoring comes in bunches, and is a function of your possessions, your game plan, and the defenses you're playing against.

The good news is, the same applies to every teams' offense. Well, maybe not to Denver's offense last year, I haven't checked, but, you get the point.

The Natural

Reaction score
Welcome to the NFL, where scoring comes in bunches, and is a function of your possessions, your game plan, and the defenses you're playing against.

The good news is, the same applies to every teams' offense. Well, maybe not to Denver's offense last year, I haven't checked, but, you get the point.

In a game like NO where they are marching up and down the field I would think a juggernaut offense would atleast half their scoring

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a game like NO where they are marching up and down the field I would think a juggernaut offense would atleast half their scoring

Like it did in the Denver game? It would have. NO was a buzzsaw, and they whipped us on both sides of the ball that day, no doubt.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Denim Chicken I didnt want to clutter the page by quoting that large image but the 6 games I noted was almost half the season.

To be accurate, you're noting six halves of football in that quote. And there were different causes for the offensive output in each of those halves. For example, that KC defense was just outstanding at that point in the season. Whereas in NO, we were in low-percentage offensive territory the entire second half because we were down big early. I'm not sure which PHI game you were referring to, but we won the first one there handily, and I don't imagine most have a particular problem with how we accomplished that. No matter what, 6 halfs of inconsistent scoring output across a whole season is not really an indication of a specific problem. Again, when you look at how we performed on a points-per-offensive-series basis, we were effective on that side of the ball.

The Natural

Reaction score
To be accurate, you're noting six halves of football in that quote. And there were different causes for the offensive output in each of those halves. For example, that KC defense was just outstanding at that point in the season. Whereas in NO, we were in low-percentage offensive territory the entire second half because we were down big early. I'm not sure which PHI game you were referring to, but we won the first one there handily, and I don't imagine most have a particular problem with how we accomplished that. No matter what, 6 halfs of inconsistent scoring output across a whole season is not really an indication of a specific problem. Again, when you look at how we performed on a points-per-offensive-series basis, we were effective on that side of the ball.

This will be my last post here but feel free to leave your response. I'm looking at the schedule and I see 8 losses. The defense was horrendous last year, we know this. The offense didnt exactly do them any favors in 5 of those games. Outside of the NO game and the 2nd half of GB, I'm seeing a common denominator on the offensive side of the ball which goes back to my original point in this thread which was that they didnt show me enough last year to think they can overcome the defense to win games.

movaughn88

Reaction score
This is what the "Cap Hell" terminology is all about. Can't or wont spend what little we have left. The Melton signing was a welcome and very needed signing, but it's just not enough. I appluad the front office for finaly trying to turn our situation around. But, I'm poor old stomach tells me we might be in for a long cold winter - even with a really good draft. To quote my favorite show - Winter is coming !

This cap issue keeps being overstated. Yes, the cap might have kept us from some huge moves, but since this is in an Ayers thread, at 2 yrs/$4mm, this is not a move that was prevented by salary cap problems at all. We have plenty of room for that contract.

Our scouts just don't think he's very good apparently. Neither does the FA market at those salary figures. I think in general fans (I'm probably guilty as well) give too much credence to "name" sometimes.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
This will be my last post here but feel free to leave your response. I'm looking at the schedule and I see 8 losses. The defense was horrendous last year, we know this. The offense didnt exactly do them any favors in 5 of those games. Outside of the NO game and the 2nd half of GB, I'm seeing a common denominator on the offensive side of the ball which goes back to my original point in this thread which was that they didnt show me enough last year to think they can overcome the defense to win games.

Well, the point on the Offensive (5th in PPG league wide, BTW) was contingent on the Defense improving to a marginal level. I think we all would concede that no offense could carry the performance of last year's D.