Babe Laufenberg

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
Would be nice to get some answers to hopefully an offensive coordinator & d-coordinator by weeks end, where they will have all hands on deck & start building relationships, preparing for FA & draft..

funkytown

Reaction score
UncFelix28;4953421 said:
Would be nice to get some answers to hopefully an offensive coordinator & d-coordinator by weeks end, where they will have all hands on deck & start building relationships, preparing for FA & draft..

Lovie Smith as D-Coordinator

Offensive Coordinator? Norv? Sparano?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4953414 said:
Not sure I follow the idea.

Dallas wanted to act quickly so they waited until Lovie was out of HC candidacy?

Once that happened they presumably fired Ryan without Lovie being on board or is Lovie on board?

If he's on board, why the need to force Garrett into making the phone call when he'd rather not do it over phone?

If he's not on board, what is meaning of the move? Show Lovie that Dallas is in deed a potential landing spot? Open up the position so he knows there's more than just talk of happening?

Seems like an odd connection to draw considering the waiting period followed by the hasty dismissal of Ryan.
I am probably the worst person to try and explain this, but I hope you will not hold that against me. Since that wasn't Twitter, I have a puncher's chance.

:D

First of all, I'm not so sure Lovie is the guy we are after yet, but literally 2 minutes before Ryan's firing was announced I was told Lovie Smith might be coming. The reason I am not sure is because Ray Horton is in the picture and Jason Garrett already tried to get him here one time.

But I have a feeling one of them has been contacted and gave Dallas a deadline to make up our minds and we did exactly that. I have a feeling this position will be filled rather quickly, maybe even today.

I want Lovie Smith, but I would so welcome Ray Horton. He is a Dick LeBeau disciple and the Cardinals Defense hit like you stole from them.

CashMan

Reaction score
I am the #1 hater of Lovie Smith as a HC, but his D makes more than enough sense in Dallas as a DC. The Tampa 2 requires speed over size, which is what you have in Carter and Lee. It is a perfect fit in Dallas.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Hostile;4953603 said:
I am probably the worst person to try and explain this, but I hope you will not hold that against me. Since that wasn't Twitter, I have a puncher's chance.

First of all, I'm not so sure Lovie is the guy we are after yet, but literally 2 minutes before Ryan's firing was announced I was told Lovie Smith might be coming. The reason I am not sure is because Ray Horton is in the picture and Jason Garrett already tried to get him here one time.

But I have a feeling one of them has been contacted and gave Dallas a deadline to make up our minds and we did exactly that. I have a feeling this position will be filled rather quickly, maybe even today.

I want Lovie Smith, but I would so welcome Ray Horton. He is a Dick LeBeau disciple and the Cardinals Defense hit like you stole from them.

I would take either over Ryan. Don't like any of the Ryan's, but AZ has a few better players than Dallas especially on the DL, so I'm not expecting a huge turn around from this defense in 2013. All that could change with FA and the draft, but we are weak on the DL and safety.

visionary

Reaction score
Hostile;4953603 said:

Horton>Lovie

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Firing a guy on vacation over the phone isn't an issue to me. Now had he been in the area, huge issue. But you got to strike when the iron's hot. You can't wait for a face to face meeting. The league waits for no one. All your options will be gone.

TonyS

Reaction score
DBOY3141;4953624 said:
I would take either over Ryan. Don't like any of the Ryan's, but AZ has a few better players than Dallas especially on the DL, so I'm not expecting a huge turn around from this defense in 2013. All that could change with FA and the draft, but we are weak on the DL and safety.

I am with you on this one. Our DL needs some playahs and let them bring some attitude/nastiness with them. Enough with this "nice guy" stuff. Wilfork brings the nasty, but you don't hear about him beating children or seals in his off time. You can have nasty football players and still have good citizens.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4953342 said:
Lovie has been available for more than a week. Why the rush now if it's him?

Maybe they thought he was going to Buffalo and then Buffalo hired Marrone.

YR

Gaede

Reaction score
I like both guys more than Ryan, so I wouldn't have a problem with them and would actually be very optimistic for next year.

But I just think that Ryan was held to standards that the OC wasn't. And hasn't been for years. So this whole process has a stink on it, even though I agree with trying get an upgrade.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
CashMan;4953623 said:
I am the #1 hater of Lovie Smith as a HC, but his D makes more than enough sense in Dallas as a DC. The Tampa 2 requires speed over size, which is what you have in Carter and Lee. It is a perfect fit in Dallas.

He rarely runs the Tampa 2 anymore.

YR

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Hostile;4953603 said:

I think Lovie Smith is a helluva coach. But I think it is a bad idea to hire him here. While we don't have a traditional nose, we have the best set of 3-4 olb's in the league and they are in their prime. I abhor the idea that we set up a defensive system then change it because we run into a rash of injuries.

That is letting statistical noise get in the way of the overall plan and philosophy. To follow that is tragically bad management and that includes the head coach and gm.

If the idea is bring in Ray Horton and get a defensive end in the draft to play opposite Hatcher and a Matt Elam type of guy to be Adrian Wilson then that is following the same plan without bombast.

Switching to a Tampa 2 with the money and draft capital we have in our corners and outside linebackers makes no sense.

CashMan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4953651 said:
He rarely runs the Tampa 2 anymore.

YR

It is more of the philosophy of turnovers and fast players, he runs more of a zone, whether it is a cover2 or cover3, it can work, if you have fast players. He runs a variation of it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboysooner;4953661 said:
I think Lovie Smith is a helluva coach. But I think it is a bad idea to hire him here. While we don't have a traditional nose, we have the best set of 3-4 olb's in the league and they are in their prime. I abhor the idea that we set up a defensive system then change it because we run into a rash of injuries.

That is letting statistical noise get in the way of the overall plan and philosophy. To follow that is tragically bad management and that includes the head coach and gm.

If the idea is bring in Ray Horton and get a defensive end in the draft to play opposite Hatcher and a Matt Elam type of guy to be Adrian Wilson then that is following the same plan without bombast.

Switching to a Tampa 2 with the money and draft capital we have in our corners and outside linebackers makes no sense.

I agree but we must find a real NT. You can not continue this nonsense of a 3-4 scheme with a DE playing the nose.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Being in Chicago now...people didn't mind that he got fired but they loved how the players liked this guy and that his defense was always tops. His issue was not finding the proper OC. He would be a great addition, thought I still think he ends up as a HC somewhere.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HoustonFrog;4953672 said:
Being in Chicago now...people didn't mind that he got fired but they loved how the players liked this guy and that his defense was always tops. His issue was not finding the proper OC. He would be a great addition, thought I still think he ends up as a HC somewhere.

He had the same issue we have. A semi-pro OL. They have good pieces on offense over there. They just can't block anybody.

CashMan

Reaction score
HoustonFrog;4953672 said:

I agree, but you have to throw in there, his terribleness of evaluating talent. When you continuously start Devin Hester at WR, something is wrong with you.

wick

Reaction score
Chicago's rank in adjusted passing yards per attempt in each of Lovie Smith's seasons as head coach:

2004: 15
2005: 1
2006: 1
2007: 23
2008: 6
2009: 21
2010: 3
2011: 7
2012: 1

This would be a home run hire and address the core problem Dallas has had in recent years that prevents it from getting over the hump: pass defense.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4953647 said:
Maybe they thought he was going to Buffalo and then Buffalo hired Marrone.
YR

He interviewed for the HC job, not coordinator position.

If Lovie takes a DC job this year, it makes sense it would be a high profile position like Dallas.

This probably is just a matter of waiting on Philly's interview of Lovie although it sounds like this might be a case of a team fufilling it's Rooney rule obligation.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I think the Rooney rule really hurts people like Lovie Smith. Is he getting HC interviews because they're interested in him or to meet a requirement? Will he hold out hope for a HC position while all the DC positions are filled?