Babe Laufenberg

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
It seems hard to believe with all the head coaching vacancies still available that Lovie Smith, or even Horton for that matter, would remove themselves from consideration and settle for being a defensive coordinator this early.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski;4953679 said:
I think the Rooney rule really hurts people like Lovie Smith. Is he getting HC interviews because they're interested in him or to meet a requirement? Will he hold out hope for a HC position while all the DC positions are filled?

I think he's got a very real chance to get the Eagles' job.

Though he obviously wasn't their first choice.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4953661 said:
I think Lovie Smith is a helluva coach. But I think it is a bad idea to hire him here. While we don't have a traditional nose, we have the best set of 3-4 olb's in the league and they are in their prime. I abhor the idea that we set up a defensive system then change it because we run into a rash of injuries.

That is letting statistical noise get in the way of the overall plan and philosophy. To follow that is tragically bad management and that includes the head coach and gm.

If the idea is bring in Ray Horton and get a defensive end in the draft to play opposite Hatcher and a Matt Elam type of guy to be Adrian Wilson then that is following the same plan without bombast.

Switching to a Tampa 2 with the money and draft capital we have in our corners and outside linebackers makes no sense.
Helluva good post! I just want to say this about the DL points, we have a deep Draft to be able to address both Lines.

Thank the stars.

Horton might be able to bring out in Crawford what he did in AZ with Calais Campbell.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Risen Star;4953671 said:
I agree but we must find a real NT. You can not continue this nonsense of a 3-4 scheme with a DE playing the nose.

I agree completely and that is more than fine with me. Let Ratliff shoot the B gap instead of the A gap.

Ware and Spencer are the top players in the league at what they do. Do not let them go or change what they are doing. Hatcher at $2mm is Jerry's best deal in 5 years.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Star Guard_31;4953685 said:
It seems hard to believe with all the head coaching vacancies still available that Lovie Smith, or even Horton for that matter, would remove themselves from consideration and settle for being a defensive coordinator this early.

It's not really that early. You know who you interviewed with and who isn't interested. The last thing you want to do is find yourself without a chair when the music stops.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4953679 said:
I think the Rooney rule really hurts people like Lovie Smith. Is he getting HC interviews because they're interested in him or to meet a requirement? Will he hold out hope for a HC position while all the DC positions are filled?
I so agree with you and it is why I hate the rule. Make it about GM jobs, etc. and I guarantee you worthy Black candidates will get interviews they deserve. But these cursory, token interviews are hard to see.

CashMan

Reaction score
Star Guard_31;4953685 said:

It might not be the right fit, this years HC jobs. If a defensive minded coach, takes the Philly job, how is he going to be successful without a QB?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Risen Star;4953686 said:
I think he's got a very real chance to get the Eagles' job.

Though he obviously wasn't their first choice.

I understand he may have an outside shot. It's more an issue with how the rule itself is implemented. I don't have a real problem with the rule itself but feel that coaches who have been HCs shouldn't count towards it.

Smith is going to have a job in '13. He just needs to hope there's a DC job open if some organizations are simply using him instead of seriously considering him.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Lovie smith ended up being the DC. But, I think some people (including the media) are reading too much into the "change of defensive philosophy" angle.

I don't necessarily think that it means a switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3. I don't have any inside sources and I don't necessarily dispute those that do. I just think that Rob Ryan's version of a 3-4 is the LEAST aggressive 3-4 defense that I have ever seen. Very little blitzing and way too many 3 man fronts on 3rd and long. Many other aggressive defenses bring pressure in that situation rather than bringing little pressure and letting their DBs/LBs cover for 4-6 seconds. I don't know about others, but this used to drive me crazy. I can't imagine that it sat well with Jones either because it made the money/draft picks that he invested on the secondary less effective. It doesn't matter how good your DBs are they WILL get burned if they have to cover for that long.

I have a feeling that Smith is going to get swooped up. He's just too good of a coach to not be picked up by someone (as a HC). Horton makes the most sense, to me. However his situation is much more complex. I don't think the Cowboys are flying by the seat of their pants, but the longer they go without naming a DC the more I become nervous about them "settling" rather than executing a well conceived plan.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4953706 said:
I understand he may have an outside shot. It's more an issue with how the rule itself is implemented. I don't have a real problem with the rule itself but feel that coaches who have been HCs shouldn't count towards it.

Smith is going to have a job in '13. He just needs to hope there's a DC job open if some organizations are simply using him instead of seriously considering him.
That is a damned good observation I had never considered.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let's put it this way, and this is just my opinion.

If anyone is interviewing Lovie Smith as a token interview, they are racist. That guy is as qualified as most any coach out there.

Zordon

Reaction score
lovie smith would probably only be here for one year before leaving for another HC position in '14. not sure i feel comfortable with that when it will probably take the players a full season to get acclimated to the switch.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
dupree89;4953363 said:
I dont have the answer for who to get as def. coord so I probably shouldnt say this...but I would rather bring in a guy that is likely to stay here more than one year.

Who really follows college football? I dont. But to those that do: isnt there a young, creative, dynamic, successful defensive wiz in the college ranks that isnt ready to be a head coach but could make the transition to NFL def coord??

Dan Quinn maybe. Worked with Garrett and Saban in Miami.

I think they lean towards a more experienced defensive coach. Maybe even a former NFL HC to help cover the defeciencies in experience from Garrett.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Risen Star;4953711 said:
Let's put it this way, and this is just my opinion.

If anyone is interviewing Lovie Smith as a token interview, they are racist. That guy is as qualified as most any coach out there.

I'm not sure that I would call the team racist, but the token "Interview a minority" is racist by nature.

There MAY have been a need for that rule at some time, but that time has passed (at least for HCs). Legit minority coaches are getting jobs on their merits (as they should). The whole dog and pony show is now just a an insult to both the league and the minorities themselves. Those guys know damn well when they are a legitimate candidate or just a token interview (which to me would be more humiliating than anything).

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
LatinMind;4953336 said:
via Theebs

Lovie is coming.

Just that he's posssibly available.

Babe's comments about the rapidity of the action and lack of personalness by doing it over the phone does indicate something is immediately about to happen.

Are there any DCs/assistants from any of the playoff teams who run a 4-3 going to be available..? After this nest round of games I mean..?

That could be the hold up. Their seasons aren't over and announcement is being withheld until then so as not to appear as tampering.

We have already been penalized recently by the NFL for actions and Jerrah would be very careful about courting another coach on another staff during play.

Hmm..

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile;4953709 said:
That is a damned good observation I had never considered.

It's been my opinion ever since Art Shell was the token interview for teams that already had their coaching choice.

Using Lovie Smith as an example, a team knows if they want him or not before the interview ever happens. His track record speaks for itself. Why waste his time? The same with a guy like Tomlin if he ever leaves Pittsburgh.

It isn't a waste for a guy like Ray Horton. He's the type the rule helps.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4953739 said:
It's been my opinion ever since Art Shell was the token interview for teams that already had their coaching choice.

Using Lovie Smith as an example, a team knows if they want him or not before the interview ever happens. His track record speaks for itself. Why waste his time? The same with a guy like Tomlin if he ever leaves Pittsburgh.

It isn't a waste for a guy like Ray Horton. He's the type the rule helps.
I really think you are 100% right, but I also think the rule needs to apply to high level front office jobs too.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile;4953742 said:
I really think you are 100% right, but I also think the rule needs to apply to high level front office jobs too.

I'd add OC and DC in addition to the front office jobs you've mentioned.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a real problem with the rule itself but feel that coaches who have been HCs shouldn't count towards it.

Unfortunately, this would doom some coaches after one failed head coaching job. Minority head coaches have proven they can be successful in the NFL, but there are still some teams that will choose the white guy over a minority coach if they consider the coaches to be similar in their ability and expectation levels.

If former minority head coaches do not count, many of them would never get second head coaching jobs if their first job never had a successful season even if it was never their fault.

The Rooney Rule is a good rule, but I cannot help but wonder how many minority coaches get frustrated after going on interview after interview for head coaching positions all the time wondering if it is a Rooney Rule required interview or a serious interview.

Minority coaches are caught in a bad spot too. They have to do the interviews if for no other reason than to present a "he's in demand" perception to the other NFL teams. On the other hand, I can see it be really irritating feeling that a team has no serious interest in you so they patronize you until they can hire their guy a few days later.

The NFL is a results oriented league and minority coaches achieving success at that level has had more of impact in minority coaching opportunities than the Rooney Rule. I think the Rooney Rule's biggest impact has been more psychological than anything. I believe it forced teams to think outside the stereotype of older white guys and that led to more teams hiring minority coaches. More importantly it gave them a chance to prove themselves and several have.

/reality

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
wick;4953677 said:
Chicago's rank in adjusted passing yards per attempt in each of Lovie Smith's seasons as head coach:

2004: 15
2005: 1
2006: 1
2007: 23
2008: 6
2009: 21
2010: 3
2011: 7
2012: 1

This would be a home run hire and address the core problem Dallas has had in recent years that prevents it from getting over the hump: pass defense.

Ok, you convinced me.