Babe Laufenberg

DFWJC

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4953342 said:
Lovie has been available for more than a week. Why the rush now if it's him?
Could be that you have to be sure he doesn't get interviews right away for HC jobs. Plus you have to find out his interest to eve be a DC again right away.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Reality;4953755 said:
Unfortunately, this would doom some coaches after one failed head coaching job. Minority head coaches have proven they can be successful in the NFL, but there are still some teams that will choose the white guy over a minority coach if they consider the coaches to be similar in their ability and expectation levels.

If former minority head coaches do not count, many of them would never get second head coaching jobs if their first job never had a successful season even if it was never their fault.

The Rooney Rule is a good rule, but I cannot help but wonder how many minority coaches get frustrated after going on interview after interview for head coaching positions all the time wondering if it is a Rooney Rule required interview or a serious interview.

Minority coaches are caught in a bad spot too. They have to do the interviews if for no other reason than to present a "he's in demand" perception to the other NFL teams. On the other hand, I can see it be really irritating feeling that a team has no serious interest in you so they patronize you until they can hire their guy a few days later.

The NFL is a results oriented league and minority coaches achieving success at that level has had more of impact in minority coaching opportunities than the Rooney Rule. I think the Rooney Rule's biggest impact has been more psychological than anything. I believe it forced teams to think outside the stereotype of older white guys and that led to more teams hiring minority coaches. More importantly it gave them a chance to prove themselves and several have.

/reality

I don't think the one and done would effect that many coaches. Look at Mike Singletary. HC before he was ready and is now working to rehabilitate his image league-wide. He'll be a HC again some day if he shows quality as a coordinator, the same as any other coach, whether or not the Rooney rule existed.

As I said, I'd actually be in favor of expanding the rule but I just don't see any advantage to token interviews of known commodities to comply when it takes that same interview from someone it would benefit.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Jerry loves Lovie. Lovie a hometown boy. Won't surprise me if Lovie is HC of the Dallas Cowboys in the not too distant future.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
CashMan;4953676 said:
I agree, but you have to throw in there, his terribleness of evaluating talent. When you continuously start Devin Hester at WR, something is wrong with you.

Right. The offense was in the wrong hands, bad O-line and bad talent to try and fix it. Seemed to be an afterthought. Would love him here though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VACowboy;4953802 said:
Jerry loves Lovie. Lovie a hometown boy. Won't surprise me if Lovie is HC of the Dallas Cowboys in the not too distant future.
Not fighting, how do you know this? Never heard about it anywhere.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4953739 said:
It's been my opinion ever since Art Shell was the token interview for teams that already had their coaching choice.

Using Lovie Smith as an example, a team knows if they want him or not before the interview ever happens. His track record speaks for itself. Why waste his time? The same with a guy like Tomlin if he ever leaves Pittsburgh.

It isn't a waste for a guy like Ray Horton. He's the type the rule helps.

I disagree, SS. Horton is exactly the type that the rule, IMHO, humiliates. If Horton gets a gig, it's going to be on his merits not a Rooney Rule obligation. If Horton gets a HC job it will be on his merits. Also, a question: Has ANY coach ever gotten the job because of the mandated interview? If not, it tells you all you need to know about the rule.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
CashMan;4953702 said:
It might not be the right fit, this years HC jobs. If a defensive minded coach, takes the Philly job, how is he going to be successful without a QB?

True, but there's only 32 head coaching jobs in the league. They may have uncertainty at the QB position but there's a lot of talent elsewhere on that roster. As unproven as Nick Foles may be for them, I have to believe he'd prefer to be the Eagles head coach rather than our DC.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if Lovie got the Philly job. He is a great coach, but finding and developing qb's was not his long suit and they need someone to develop Foles or more likely find another qb this year or next.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;4953806 said:
Not fighting, how do you know this? Never heard about it anywhere.

When Parcells left and Jerry was in the process of finding his replacement, it was widely reported by the media that Jerry was enamored with Lovie and wanted to pry him away from Chicago. You don't remember this?

RS12

Reaction score
He said firing a coach over the phone is something Jason didn't want to do but when a guy becomes available they want maybe they have to move on it.

No sale.

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
VACowboy;4953912 said:
When Parcells left and Jerry was in the process of finding his replacement, it was widely reported by the media that Jerry was enamored with Lovie and wanted to pry him away from Chicago. You don't remember this?

Not to mention Lovie is from east Texas and grew up a Cowboys fan. Big Sandy is just outside Tyler. I've even read in an interview with his mom that the Dallas job was a dream job of Lovie's. I'm sure HC job but you get the gist.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
IF Garrett remains the HC, I *HOPE* that Jerry steps back and lets Garrett hire his own staff.

When was the last time a Cowboys HC was able to hire his own staff instead of having to work with who Jerry wants?

Btw: Jimmy Johnson was here from 1989-1993. Guy has been gone for nearly 2 decades. Jerry has had the team for 24 years. If the best 5 years of your 24 years as owner were 20 years ago...you're doing something wrong.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VACowboy;4953912 said:
I did not. Thanks for posting the link.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4953901 said:
I'd be shocked if Lovie got the Philly job. He is a great coach, but finding and developing qb's was not his long suit and they need someone to develop Foles or more likely find another qb this year or next.

I'd be shocked if Lovie gets a HC job anywhere. No one wants retreads to sell to their fanbase, and especially defensive minded retreads who have put the worst offenses in the NFL on the field for the last 5 years. Buffalo was Lovie's best shot, because they hinted that they might look for someone to turn around their underperforming defense. Everyone else is looking offense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;4953999 said:
I'd be shocked if Lovie gets a HC job anywhere. No one wants retreads to sell to their fanbase, and especially defensive minded retreads who have put the worst offenses in the NFL on the field for the last 5 years. Buffalo was Lovie's best shot, because they hinted that they might look for someone to turn around their underperforming defense. Everyone else is looking offense.

Bill Belichick was a retread. Tony Dungy was a retread. Jon Gruden was a retread.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
One of the reasons Lovie's, or any Tampa 2 scheme, gets a lot of turnovers is they play a ton of zone and the defensive backs never have their back turned to the football or the quarterback. Is he now going to ask our two high commodity CBs who excell in press man to play zone? That concerns me more about moving to the Tampa 2 than Ware, Ratliff or the LBs adapting to the 4-3 (which I think they would easily).

cowboysooner

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4953999 said:

I agree. The only other place I think Lovie can sell is San Diego because they already have their quarterback, but even that is a tough sell to a place that struggles with ticket sales.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Risen Star;4954017 said:
Bill Belichick was a retread. Tony Dungy was a retread. Jon Gruden was a retread.

Doesn't change the fact that owners and fanbases don't want retreads, specifically defense oriented retreads who have put out horrible vanilla offenses out on the field every year and has only taken a team to the playoffs once in the last five seasons. Not exactly an easy sale to a fanbase.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;4954030 said:
Doesn't change the fact that owners and fanbases don't want retreads, specifically defense oriented retreads who have put out horrible vanilla offenses out on the field every year and has only taken a team to the playoffs once in the last five seasons.

If owners didn't want retreads you wouldn't see them hired all the time. Andy Reid was gobbled up in a day. Retread status didn't seem to scare anybody away.

Guys like Gruden, Holmgren, Cowher, Dungy would all be retreads and are at the top of everybody's list.

What you call retread, I call NFL experience and it's coveted in a head coaching search.

And I wouldn't take the temperature of the fan base when hiring a head coach. It goes with the old saying that if you start listening to the fans you end up sitting with them.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4953999 said:

What's funny is that history has shown that hiring an offensive-minded coach usually has the opposite effect. The offense is usually stagnant at best while the defense improves and vice versa.

There are a few exceptions but when you study success, it's usually what you find.