Back from the game.....my comments

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
First off...we are very very very lucky to pull that one out. We got beat for 58 minutes...Niners came to play with passion, and it showed!

My seats were corner endzone 5 rows up from the field...I'm so pizzed I did not take my camera...the Boys were warming up right in front of us. I yelled Glover a few times and got him to look and wave. Dudes arms are MASSIVE.

Flo, Spears, Canty are huge.....just freakin huge. Big Al...looked very small walking off after pregame next to flo.

The bad:
~ Ok for the game...I'm reading on here that Bledsoe is a hero on some threads. Let me tell you first hand when the team is driving right at you and you can see the WR in their routes....I can't tell you how many times Glenn and Crayton were WIDE open and Bledsoe is to freakin scared to throw the ball down field. He missed them over and over again, just to look them off and dump it short. I was going bazurk! His two picks were stupid throws...first one for TD...right in front of me...did not see the guy. The one to Glenn on the sideline....he was covered big time...forced it. Stupid decisions for a QB of his experience.

~ Deep pass for TD....Davis bit hard and Lloyd had Henry by 5 yards...Davis is at fault IMO...no help there at all for Henry. Did not see Davis in the game much after that...that I noticed anyways.

~ They played three wide almost all game and spread us out...I thought the Niners had a petty good game plan offensively overall.

~ Fake punt...I hated that call...down by five...on our own 30 something and we give it back to them and they then go score....we gave them points!

~ Cortez sucks! Niners fans glad we have him.

~ Did not feel the intensity from the Boys that I did from Niners...we must pick this up somehow.

The Good:
~ We hung with them for almost the whole game until we stiffened up some defensively, then the offense moved the ball well. The play to Glenn was pretty although he was sitting out there for what seemed 5 seconds before Drew would throw it...had pulled away big time from DB.

~ Ware got his first sack..pumped for that.

~ Spears plays hard!

~ JJ ran hard...not many holes that I could see.

~ Bledsoe threw well when he pushes the ball upfield...he just needs to do it!

~ Glad we won, but did not play well, although credit for staying tough and pulling it off.

Lots more, but that is the main stuff...lots of yelling at Goose walking back and forth...guy in first row right next to Goose calling him big fat arse and Goose just ignored him...was funny.

Saw thre fights...each time it was one Niner and one Cowboy fan getting hauled off...these guys were drunk and stupid. It's just a game!

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Ill disagree w/ you on the lucky to win the game comment. The offense was moving the ball at will on the SF defense. I never was worried about us scoring to beat them. I was worried our D finally sucking it up and stopping them so we could score and beat them.

Hoov

Reaction score
thanks for the assessment, still im more confident throwing on 3 and 10 with bledsoe then i can remember with any QB since aikman

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Agreed Dallas. They only stopped us when we stopped ourselves, like the bootleg in the first quarter, the INT or the fumble. My fear was not stopping them.

As for Portland's comment re Bledsoe, there might have been open guys but pretty hard to criticize Drew for yesterday's performance.

Derinyar

Reaction score
The interesting and strange problem is that Parcells made a several stupid coaching decisions yesterday.

The two I'd highlight are the 2pt conversion attempt and the fake punt. Theres a place and time for each of those, but where they were done wasn't the place for either.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
The bad:
~ Ok for the game...I'm reading on here that Bledsoe is a hero on some threads. Let me tell you first hand when the team is driving right at you and you can see the WR in their routes....I can't tell you how many times Glenn and Crayton were WIDE open and Bledsoe is to freakin scared to throw the ball down field. He missed them over and over again, just to look them off and dump it short. I was going bazurk! His two picks were stupid throws...first one for TD...right in front of me...did not see the guy. The one to Glenn on the sideline....he was covered big time...forced it. Stupid decisions for a QB of his experience.

Well, I was not there and obviously you saw some things, but he drove us to 34 points. I will take that everytime, most of it was passing as well, not running the ball.

The first pick was obviously a bad mistake, he admitted he got fooled on that play. It happens!

The second pick was forced, but was just a great play by the 49ers.

Drew looked good to me, and I hope he keeps it up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Ill disagree w/ you on the lucky to win the game comment. The offense was moving the ball at will on the SF defense. I never was worried about us scoring to beat them. I was worried our D finally sucking it up and stopping them so we could score and beat them.

Same here, never felt like the offense could not score was more worried that the defense would mess up again. I felt Drew had a good game for the most part and did not get down after the picks but came right back after them.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Dallas said:
I agree, I was annoyed at all the setbacks but there was never a point in the game where I thought we would lose. Then again, I felt that was about the 'Skins game last week, which made that loss ever more devastating.

NorTex

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can say we got beat for 58 minutes.

We outscored the 49ers 22-7 in the 2nd half.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:
I don't know how anyone can say we got beat for 58 minutes.

We outscored the 49ers 22-7 in the 2nd half.
I'm guessing he meant "trailed" for 58 minutes !

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Derinyar said:
The interesting and strange problem is that Parcells made a several stupid coaching decisions yesterday.

The two I'd highlight are the 2pt conversion attempt and the fake punt. Theres a place and time for each of those, but where they were done wasn't the place for either.

Absolutely. I couldn't believe those calls.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Well, I was not there and obviously you saw some things, but he drove us to 34 points. I will take that everytime, most of it was passing as well, not running the ball.

The first pick was obviously a bad mistake, he admitted he got fooled on that play. It happens!

The second pick was forced, but was just a great play by the 49ers.

Drew looked good to me, and I hope he keeps it up.

Yes he did...I think I may have sounded harder on Drew then I should have been, but when you can see things developing in person it sure is different then on TV...my knock was he played very safe in the first half...the second half it was a different story. I would like to see Drew trust his own instincts and hit Glenn when he's there...yes it's hard to make judgements on the field, but my point was he/Glenn/Crayton was open over and over again...not just one or two plays, but all day.

I'm happy we got the win...we made some bad coaching calls, and gave them the ball deep in our territory way to much...each costing us points. Playing out of a hole.

Drew made some very nice throws in the second half...very nice...I want to see him do that early on...he's capable!

Dogstar

Reaction score
It's a lot harder to see the lanes on the field than it is in the stands. Plus, I think Parcells doesn't necessarily want Drew to air it out. Drew is being conservative and it has been working. I'm sure he will break it out one game and just kick butt all day. He's got some great weapons. Don't forget too that the strategy so far has been to spread it out to all the weapons, kind of like NE does.

I was mostly concerned about the D holding them, but SF seemed to fold under the pressure at the end.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
I'm guessing he meant "trailed" for 58 minutes !

This is what I meant...although playing from behind in enemy territory feels like getting beat for 58 minutes...

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Dogstar said:
It's a lot harder to see the lanes on the field than it is in the stands. Plus, I think Parcells doesn't necessarily want Drew to air it out. Drew is being conservative and it has been working. I'm sure he will break it out one game and just kick butt all day. He's got some great weapons. Don't forget too that the strategy so far has been to spread it out to all the weapons, kind of like NE does.

I was mostly concerned about the D holding them, but SF seemed to fold under the pressure at the end.

Let me tell you guys....the 4th and 1 SF had was scary...we won by 3...we held them to a field goal. Had the scored a TD...we may be singing a different toon today. I always had the feeling at the game we'd pull it out, but this series was the game!

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
Portland, are you going to make the trek to Seattle for the October 23rd game?

I would certainly love to go if some folks are going. Does anyone have tickets yet?

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
Portland, are you going to make the trek to Seattle for the October 23rd game?

Yep....I'm really excited about this game...taking my 5 year old son to this one. Tickets on the Boys 30 yard line...row E sec 107!!! I'll have my Aikman jersey on...my son...still need to get his...

You going?