Back Up QB Lacks Talent

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Well if the Giants are in talks what would a trade look like ? A 3 in next yrs draft ? Certainly in my mind no higher . Realistically a 4 would be more equitable but SF probably would not bite for anything less then a 3 . Brian DaBoll and NY are not going to go down a 5-12 road the entire yr with Daniel Jones , Jimmy G makes sense as the sudden replacement week 4 .

He hits the market in a few days. They would be wise to take what they can get.

I'm not saying we ought to sign him at his current contract.

plasticman

Reaction score
There is this premise among some fans that when you draft a player that demonstrated a specific skill set in college, that is all you will get throughout their NFL career,

The fact is every player in the NFL is a student and the coaches are the teachers. It is a constant learning process throughout the player's career. Of course, there is always different speeds at which the player learns based on physical attributes as well as intelligence.

Having said that there are also expectations that the player will demonstrate an expected level of improvement that justifies such an investment.

Tony Romo is the perfect example. He stuck around for over three full seasons without throwing a single NFL pass by justifying his roster spot with impressive results throughout the preseasons. Romo's potential continued to be developed under Parcells and Peyton until he was ready to compete as a starter.

Both Rush and Dinucci are unfinished products. The only difference between the two of them is the way they responded to the challenge of justifying their roster spot on the team. One did and one didn't.

Still, your backup shouldn't be a developmental player. They should be either a proven veteran that is willing to continue their career as a non-starter or a young player on the fast track to potentially being a starter. The question is, does this sound like Cooper Rush? In order to answer that question, I need to see more.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll withhold judgment until I see preseason games.
I think we're okay, but I also think Dak will not start 17 games

LittleD

Reaction score
If you think Cooper Rush can get you to the playoffs and win, you're on something.

Geez buddy, smell the roses. There aren't even 32 starting QB's who can get a team to the playoffs. There are practically no NFL teams that have two long term functioning QB's who can win. Just ain't happening in today's NFL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt, who are we supposed to rely on?

Cooper Rush?

DiNucci?

Grier?

I just don't see it. We need more depth at the back up QB position.

DiNucci has a little Romo in him, but I don't think he's ready. Other than that, I'd hate to see Dak get hurt.
that's pretty much the same across the league, except for a few teams. the challenge is the good QBs lack, so teams struggling with starters, much less having talented back ups

Motorola

Reaction score
Your fantasy!

JBS

Reaction score
You're going off one game, which I'm also aware of. I'm just not as impressed by it as you are.
Don’t move the goal posts now , your original post and your arguments now aren’t the same. Get yourself together.

Hardline

Reaction score
If you think Cooper Rush can get you to the playoffs and win, you're on something.
If you think Dak Prescott can get you to the playoffs and win you are on something.
If Dak goes down we need to go into tank mode and be able to draft a top QB in the first round in the 2023 draft.

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
cooper rush has shown he can play in this league winning his only start last year against the Vikings. Why would we waste money trying to find an upgrade at that position, when the backup is already adequate?
But He won that game targeting Amari . . . sadly Amari is gone

Jarntt

Reaction score
We can’t waste money on a top backup when we have a $40M QB, but all of the comments about how Rush is good enough because he won one game are a little short sighted. He’s still Cooper Rush. With the current roster makeup if Dak suffers a major injury, our season is over.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We can’t waste money on a top backup when we have a $40M QB, but all of the comments about how Rush is good enough because he won one game are a little short sighted. He’s still Cooper Rush. With the current roster makeup if Dak suffers a major injury, our season is over.

Yeah, I wasn't aware that winning one game makes you a legitimate player. We shouldn't be turning over stones for another QB . . . because Cooper Rush won a game.

Someone else said it best, that your back up should usually be a vet player with experience, not project players. I realize Cooper Rush has been around for a while, but he doesn't have the experience to get you anywhere.

GINeric

Reaction score
no backup qb is winning for you in the playoffs. You’re hoping your backup can keep you afloat for a couple of games until your starter gets back. If you think any backup qb out there is taking you to the playoffs and winning then you’re the one on good drugs. Cooper is about as good a backup as any in this league

Jeff Garcia, Kaepernick, T.J. Yates, Frank Reich and Nick Foles were backup quarterbacks who won in the playoffs. Nick Foles won a Superbowl and has a statue outside of the Eagles stadium.

I guess im on drugs.... hey before you leave, you got a light??? (Licking rolling papers)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak gets hurt, who are we supposed to rely on?

Cooper Rush?

DiNucci?

Grier?

I just don't see it. We need more depth at the back up QB position.

DiNucci has a little Romo in him, but I don't think he's ready. Other than that, I'd hate to see Dak get hurt.
DiNucci has the most physical talent.

There is some video from camp that shows the backup QBs.

DiNucci showed excellent accuracy in the very limited amount of video available.
- He has a strong arm and excellent athleticism.
- Making decisions with pass rushers coming at him is his challenge.

Neither Cooper Rush or Grier appear to have NFL type physical talent.
- They're Jason Garrett or Kellen Moore at best.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I wasn't aware that winning one game makes you a legitimate player. We shouldn't be turning over stones for another QB . . . because Cooper Rush won a game.

Someone else said it best, that your back up should usually be a vet player with experience, not project players. I realize Cooper Rush has been around for a while, but he doesn't have the experience to get you anywhere.
Rush is not a project player. He's just a physically limited player.

He's been on NFL teams for many years now.
- i.e. Not really a project at this point.

DiNucci is a project player. A guy with the required physical ability but still learning.
- Ideally, it's best if the project player can develop into the #2 QB.
- Then the team does not need to carry 3 QBs.

Grier is somewhere in the middle between Rush and DiNucci.
- More physical ability than Rush.
- More years on NFL teams than DiNucci.

Flamma

Reaction score

Most teams don't have a backup that can do that. If your QB goes out for the season it's usually over. Most teams just try to find a QB that can go .500 until the starter is ready to play again.