Back Up QB Lacks Talent

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Those people are high on Dinucci because he plays very similar to Romo. Problem is...there is only 1 Romo.

Romo also got to sit around and drool and dream about being the number 1 until one day he wished it into reality by impressing the right people at the right time, which is all any of these guys can do.

If you think Jerry really ran the team when Parcells was here, then you weren't paying attention. No way did Jerry have the brains to pull that one off. That was all Parcells, and his teenage scout prodigy, maybe a little Sean Payton . . . all day.

Jerry could only say, "Romo was a miracle."

Because he had no clue.

Otherwise, he wouldn't need to say that.

That said, I'm of the opinion that you stack this roster to win now, especially if you jump out 5-2 or something like that. Go all-in.. during the season even, in free agency. If we're following any of the Rams' format, that'd be part of it.

My mind isn't totally made up on any of these QBs. I want them to impress me. I'll admit it if they do. I just haven't been wowed by anyone, although Dak impresses from time-to-time, and I have to agree Rush is prolly our best guy with the pigskin behind Dak. So, let's not get ahead of ourselves with DiNucci until we see him at least flash something in preseason. Give DiNucci his 3 years and then let's call it. Or put his *** on the practice squad and bring in better talent for right now.

I'm especially cool with that too. QBs are like cars. Wreck it, buy a new one.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Cam Newton is terrible. Man, at this point Dinucci is better.

You don't think a guy like that would be a better back up than anyone we've got?

I do....

I get that there'd be too much controversy for the Cowboys to ever have something nice like that at back up QB, especially while the Joneses are running it. But if the media weren't spineless and played fair, and all was good in the Cowboy Neighborhood, a situation like that would be ideal.

The blunder would be old Jerry signing Newton as his day 1 starter. Not his back up starting say, like game 5-6. Totally different. I'd much rather do something like that with a washed up has been with experience, albeit experience with declining talent, than waste my time on any of these scrubs to find out if they'll ever have any talent in the first place.

If a guy like Brady can still win in the league, it's quite possible a guy like Cam Newton could still be a pretty good back up for Dak Prescott. Shoot, maybe something like that would be possible. Because it's pretty clear Dak is still the man over Newton.

At least we're talking NFL-caliber QBs, and not college journeyman types trying to hack the NFL game speed.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt, who are we supposed to rely on?

Cooper Rush?

DiNucci?

Grier?

I just don't see it. We need more depth at the back up QB position.

DiNucci has a little Romo in him, but I don't think he's ready. Other than that, I'd hate to see Dak get hurt.

Considering that we went into the season with Rush as the backup and we won the only game he started, I don't think we're going to do much different than last year at the position. Rush is what he is, so the hope is that either Grier can step up and provide more than that or that DiNucci suddenly develops.

The most likely possibility of those two is Grier IMO. Reports are that he seems to be splitting second-team snaps with Rush, so that's a good sign for him. Don't know what it means for us.

I do think this is the do-or-die year for DiNucci. Either he shows strong progress or we move on to the next backup QB project.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Considering that we went into the season with Rush as the backup and we won the only game he started, I don't think we're going to do much different than last year at the position. Rush is what he is, so the hope is that either Grier can step up and provide more than that or that DiNucci suddenly develops.

The most likely possibility of those two is Grier IMO. Reports are that he seems to be splitting second-team snaps with Rush, so that's a good sign for him. Don't know what it means for us.

I do think this is the do-or-die year for DiNucci. Either he shows strong progress or we move on to the next backup QB project.

I see what you mean. But i can also see them getting out to a good start, like 3-2, and then Dak getting hurt and then Rush blowing some easy games just as easy as I could see Rush getting another performance from the offensive line like he got from Minnesota.

Offensive line was outstanding that game. They never got credit for the game, but they should have.

Someone earlier said Cooper balled out that game, because Rush targeted him. If you look, it was CeeDee who really helped him beat the defense.

Lamb is the type of player who can make almost any QB look good. Our guy is a sicko. Credit to Rush. He did his job in that game. Not trying to take anything away from the guy, really.

Anyway, they have until game 10, I think it is, to improve a position in free agency, so I like the waiting strategy, personally. We'll see what kind of position they're in as the season goes along.

We all know how reactionary Jerry really is. That cap money will be all gone, and then some, by this time next year.

As for DiNucci, I want to see at least a flash this year. If there's nothing there, you'll see by now. I can't tell a whole lot from these camp videos, so far, at least. So i'm waiting for preseason and anything else I see this season, if he happens to make it.

I won't lose sleep if he doesn't. I also understand there's a small chance he can still carve his own niche' in the NFL, back up or not.. I'm just not really excited about the idea of learning on the job at #2, which I guess isn't the case for Cooper Rush. But I do at least think you should upgrade, just to protect your $160 million investment. With some NFL level-caliber talent. We can do this, unlike other teams, because we're the Cowboys. And we should use our brand to our advantage, in that regard.

Quarterbacks like us, and want to play for us, by golly. The team really should not bend to the media, at any position, especially quarterback. If Dak feels threatened, psychologically, any logical coach and owner would use that as a means of motivation. That's the Jimmy to Troy trick, essentially.. and Prescott would never see something like that coming in a million years.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
For those saying that Rush won the game against Minnesota, ask yourself if he can do it again. I say if you give him 10 games, he consistently wins you 3 to 4 of those 10 games, every 10 games.

He got some help that game. It was an amazing job by the line.

But my bigger point is that this is a new season. That's my point: we're moving forward now. It'd be just this franchise's luck to come into a season like the one they're coming off without a good back up for Dak. This could be one of those teams that really just needs a bus driver. And something about Dak's game says he's more prone to injury than most suspect.

Watch the o-line this game, and the rest of the guys helping him. Not often our line has games like that, and we're typically known for having one of the better lines.

If we're being objective, great game by Moore.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Grier to keep showing improvement in TC this year. The C'boys need better play from their backup QBs. :flagwave:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Grier made noise the last few days. He had a solid day Friday in training camp. He made some tight window throws, including the “play of the day,” on a throw to the back of the end zone where TJ Vasher came down with an impressive one-handed touchdown catch that Grier placed where only his receiver can catch it. The kid has a significant shot at #2.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like the fact that CeeDee has turned up the speed on the jugs machine to accommodate the faster throws by Dak lately. It shows he's willing to do what it takes to adjust to the QB, as much as Dak makes adjustments for him. That's what any QB would expect his receivers to do. I also think Jalen Tolbert is another example of one with a good work ethic.

The synchronization between QB and WR is crucial for a passing attack to click as well as possible to make it effective. CeeDee routinely shows in camp each year that his work ethic is exceptional. He should work out nicely as our #1 WR, as long as that's the case. Here's hoping the work they've done in games reflects their efforts in practice. So far, so good. Seemingly, it should pay off handsomely, in the games yet to come.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it comes down to Rush and Grier. I don't see any player who is in FA that I would touch.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Grier made noise the last few days. He had a solid day Friday in training camp. He made some tight window throws, including the “play of the day,” on a throw to the back of the end zone where TJ Vasher came down with an impressive one-handed touchdown catch that Grier placed where only his receiver can catch it. The kid has a significant shot at #2.

I saw him have a really good game against my alma mater. Like, he came to our house and clowned the whole stadium. I'm not all totemistic, so it doesn't bother me any. I just laughed when he pulled it off in spite of all the horns fans talking smack to him.

Of all our guys, Grier may have the highest ceiling, imo.

Here you go. I'm not comparing him to Elway, but he's got a little bit of Elway's playing style. On like a college level.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think it's a healthy idea to be so complacent on a backup QB with such limited physical ability, when you can have a chance to expand beyond that.

We were thinking and acting the same way with Garrett Gilbert.

At least give the backup position legit competition and a chance to expand.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yup, all the scouts are wrong and you are right.

Your little laughing head thingie makes you look awfully foolish. Might want to rethink that one.

that’s really the weak argument you want to use? That the scouts had to be right? You do realize both of those qbs were supposed to be starters and instead were jags and can only be backups? You’re making no sense and are the one who really looks foolish

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
you are making dak into something he has not . 1 playoff win in 6 years .
And by the way , the eagles won a SUPER BOWL with a back up QB . many other teams won super bowls with back up QBs. so it CAN happen

sure let’s use an outlier as the standard

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
His point is that Rush is a back up. Ergo, we shouldn't have high standards for our back up QB.

My reply is, but we're the Dallas Cowboys.

His response, but Cooper Rush beat Minnesota. Facts.

My retort, and what else?

My facts are better than yours and you suck, he explained. haha

you can address the reply I gave you where I listed 5 other playoff teams including the 2 Super Bowl contestants and how bad their backup qb situations are. But somehow only the cowboys out of all 32 teams are supposed to pay a high level backup qb

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dak is UFA after '24. [no tag, no trade clause in his contract.]

They need to start looking now.