Back Up QB Lacks Talent

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the 9ers are in talks with the Giants right now about trading him.

I would be all in for grabbing him to back up Dak.

By the way, here's the deal on his situation right now.

LINK: 49ers holding onto Jimmy Garoppolo has everything to do with Seahawks | RSN (nbcsports.com)

The 49ers would be wise to keep Garoppolo unless someone offers them something in a trade. He currently fits under the cap, and he would more than likely take over if their season goes south under Lance. That is unless they plan on using that 26M they'd be saving in cap space.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeff Garcia, Kaepernick, T.J. Yates, Frank Reich and Nick Foles were backup quarterbacks who won in the playoffs. Nick Foles won a Superbowl and has a statue outside of the Eagles stadium.

I guess im on drugs.... hey before you leave, you got a light??? (Licking rolling papers)
3rd round pick, 7 years in the NFL before starting a playoff game.

Jeff Garcia was already a starter at the point he 1st started a playoff game.

Kaepernick was already a starter when at the point he 1st started a playoff game.

Nick Foles had started 16 regular season games at the point he 1st started a playoff game.

T.J. Yates had a 50% win percentage in the playoffs.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Rush isn't that great, even for a backup.

We've had guys in the past who can give us at least a chance over a few games.. And I'm aware that most backups aren't expected to play and win for the entire season, etc. But we could definitely do better at the backup QB position.

Look at the Eagles, for example. I'd say Carson Strong is a much better backup than anyone we've got. And he came in UDFA.
So Cooper Rush's one game isn't enough to gauge but an undrafted rookie with zero games that the nobody in the nfl wanted to draft is a better qb? :facepalm:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Rush won against the vikings but that was a team win. He didn’t light it up. Actually he hit Elliot with a dump off at the end and he made a move to split defenders. Ali most scored and got injured. Ending our run game for the year…

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak gets hurt, who are we supposed to rely on?

Cooper Rush?

DiNucci?

Grier?

I just don't see it. We need more depth at the back up QB position.

DiNucci has a little Romo in him, but I don't think he's ready. Other than that, I'd hate to see Dak get hurt.
I was at the game when Grier beat Texas in OT. 42 to 41.....I like his talent, not sure he's capable of stepping in and winning at this level...I'd like to see him get a lot of playing time during the first 2 preseason games.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush isn't that great, even for a backup.

We've had guys in the past who can give us at least a chance over a few games.. And I'm aware that most backups aren't expected to play and win for the entire season, etc. But we could definitely do better at the backup QB position.

Look at the Eagles, for example. I'd say Carson Strong is a much better backup than anyone we've got. And he came in UDFA.
"Isn't that great".

We haven't done jack crap as starters....not that great at all. But you're holding the backup QB feet to the fire? Teams can barely field a great 1 qb....let alone a ,2

Why do you have coop? It's obvious man.

ESisback

Reaction score
no backup qb is winning for you in the playoffs. You’re hoping your backup can keep you afloat for a couple of games until your starter gets back. If you think any backup qb out there is taking you to the playoffs and winning then you’re the one on good drugs. Cooper is about as good a backup as any in this league
Foles was an aberration.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Will Grier is a better passer than Cooper Rush. Plus, Grier is definitely more athletical and agile than Rush. Dinucci is simply a career 3rd string backup. I don't care that he plays a little like Romo. Dinucci is simply not good enough to be a #2.
I remember hearing the same thing about Romo during his first 3 seasons. Sometimes it takes a young QB some time to develop. Besides if DiNucci was pure garbage, he would have been cut by now.

kskboys

Reaction score
cooper rush has shown he can play in this league winning his only start last year against the Vikings. Why would we waste money trying to find an upgrade at that position, when the backup is already adequate?
No he hasn't.

Cooper does not have the arm to play in this league.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jimmy G has a salary of $25,000,000. Dallas is going to have a decent team but as for the playoffs I doubt it.
You don't spend that much money unless your close, Dallas is not close this year.
Yup. And going for it this year would severely hinder our chances in the next few years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Welp I’m not seeing anyway you can extrapolate that game into the conclusion that we’re screwed if Dak goes down. But hey it’s your opinion and I can’t change it.
You cannot extrapolate one game into anything, good or bad. He's doing what you're doing, basing a take off of way too small of a sample.

Rush's physical skillset makes it quite clear that he is not a starter at the NFL level. Due to his great feel and instincts for the game, he can get by for a very short time.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You cannot extrapolate one game into anything, good or bad. He's doing what you're doing, basing a take off of way too small of a sample.

Rush's physical skillset makes it quite clear that he is not a starter at the NFL level. Due to his great feel and instincts for the game, he can get by for a very short time.

Never did I say Rush is a starter in the NFL because he’s not. He definitely is a backup and one that can win you a couple games while your starter is out. Also it seems illogical to base the take that “this guy can’t play and we need to get rid of him” off a game where the player threw for 300 yards and won the game lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh okay must have been a strong-armed qb, dressed up as Cooper that beat the Vikings
That is a weird comment. Are you seriously unable to comprehend physical skillsets and how they dictate failure/success?

kskboys

Reaction score
Never did I say Rush is a starter in the NFL because he’s not. He definitely is a backup and one that can win you a couple games while your starter is out.
Possibly, but he will definitely lose most games he starts.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is a weird comment. Are you seriously unable to comprehend physical skillsets and how they dictate failure/success?

You are seriously overhyping physical skillset. Jay cutler had a cannon, Brandon weeden had a cannon, Jamarcus russsel had a cannon. Each one of them were below average because having a cannon meant Jack diddly. There are plenty of qbs that get by off of being cerebral who don’t have huge arms. You can pretend Cooper has this noodle that can’t reach anybody but the tape doesn’t lie and shows that’s not true. Does he have a cannon, no. Can he complete enough throws and win a couple games? Yes

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I remember hearing the same thing about Romo during his first 3 seasons. Sometimes it takes a young QB some time to develop. Besides if DiNucci was pure garbage, he would have been cut by now.
Dinucci is not Romo, so get over it already.