Back Up QB Lacks Talent

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you have to count on your back up qb to get you to the playoffs then you probably werent going anyway. There aren’t even 32 legit starting QBs in the league and any QBs that have started think they still can so wouldn’t come to Dallas.
Unless you know of any Nick Foles (who’s probably still available btw)…I’m okay with Rush for now.

I think there are guys now who can get hot in games, like make Trint Dilfer look silly. The talent isn't terrible, game to game. The hardest part of being an NFL QB is being good consistently. That's why so few can do it.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
So Cooper Rush's one game isn't enough to gauge but an undrafted rookie with zero games that the nobody in the nfl wanted to draft is a better qb? :facepalm:
I too, like Carson Strong better than any of our backups. But I realize I can't control who I like and don't like. It's a natural reflex in my amygdala. And that's why I don't ridicule people for liking players that I don't. Happens naturally.

Vision is responsible for teaching me what an amygdala does... When he told Wanda, no one dislikes her.
Still don't know how to pronounce that shiite though.

Motorola

Reaction score
I agree. Would definitely take Mayfield for my backup. I realize his cost is likely too high right now. But he'd be more ideal, especially for the Cowboys where we're impatient about winning. I see Dak as the starter, because I'm not delusional and don't think that will change. But if he gets hurt, we're kinda toast.

It's like, we don't stand much of a chance . . . perhaps by design.

If they're sold on Cooper Rush, OK. I guess that's the standard. I just feel like that's an obvious upgrade, because we're not so invested at the #2 spot where we can't have legit competition.

I guess we'll see. Maybe DiNucci, Grier, et al. that guy from Kansas, all have something. But I would be looking to improve this team at back up. It would be just Jerry's luck to get caught without a decent backup.

If some of you guys say Rush, OK, I just don't see it. If I'm the Cowboys, I may consider moving on with Grier and/or DiNucci as my developmental guys and bringing in a more experienced QB for #2 back up.
Mayfield would be a distraction in Dallas because fans/media would create a QB controversy.

Players being constantly hounded by the media with those types of questions can become a huge distraction for the team.
Plus - after having started 60 games in his first four seasons in the league - Mayfield is still wanting to lead a team - and not be a backup.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
A talented QB would not be a backup in the league unless he is old and is chasing a Ring ....... and if that is the case he would not come to a Jerry Jones team.

Bro, we can't find more talent than Rush?

The Dallas Cowboys?

Surely someone better than Rush out there who wants to play for us.

Am I sleeping on Cooper? I think even he was surprised he actually won that game. lol

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt, who are we supposed to rely on?

Cooper Rush?

DiNucci?

Grier?

I just don't see it. We need more depth at the back up QB position.

DiNucci has a little Romo in him, but I don't think he's ready. Other than that, I'd hate to see Dak get hurt.
Cooper is undefeated

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt, who are we supposed to rely on?

Cooper Rush?

DiNucci?

Grier?

I just don't see it. We need more depth at the back up QB position.

DiNucci has a little Romo in him, but I don't think he's ready. Other than that, I'd hate to see Dak get hurt.
I had the same thinking until the Vikings game last year.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I had the same thinking until the Vikings game last year.

I was behind him that game too. Because, for then, he was the best shot we had. It's another year though. Still not too late.

I would look at it as insurance. At least know that position is at least as important as depth at any other position.

One of the best things you can do for a team's confidence, have a good back up QB.

Motorola

Reaction score
I surmise this photo is from last summer.
However, it sort of epitomizes Rush's connection with the Cowboys.
He signed as an UDFA in 2017 - one year after Prescott arrived in Dallas.
The head coach then - Jason Garrett; Scott Linehan was the OC. Rush competed with Kellen Moore for the backup QB position, and won the spot.
Except for six months in 2020 (post-draft offseason through the first rwo months of the regular season),Rush has been with the Cowboys organization for 5 years - through a HC change, plus his teammate becoming first his QB coach, then his OC.
It appears that the FO have been satisfied with his overall work with the team and thus view him as the best option for QB2 (after the departure of Dalton).
Not saying the Cowboys can't find (and won't) get someone better...but approaching the 2022 season, the team has been comfortable with Rush to still be around.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I surmise this photo is from last summer.
However, it sort of epitomizes Rush's connection with the Cowboys.
He signed as an UDFA in 2017 - one year after Prescott arrived in Dallas.
The head coach then - Jason Garrett; Scott Linehan was the OC. Rush competed with Kellen Moore for the backup QB position, and won the spot.
Except for six months in 2020 (post-draft offseason through the first rwo months of the regular season),Rush has been with Cowboys organization for 5 years - through a HC change, plus his teammate becoming first his QB coach, then his OC.
It appears that the FO have been satisfied with his overall work with the team and thus view him as the best option for QB2 (after the departure of Dalton).
Not saying the Cowboys can't find (and won't) someone better...but approaching the 2022 season, the team has been comfortable with Rush to still be around.

I think you are pretty much correct. You could even argue he's better than The Red Rocket Dalton, and I would agree. Just not better by a whole lot.

Dak is way better, and he can't beat a team outside the NFCE over .500, so he's got a ways to go. But at least he's due any time now. lol

links18

Reaction score
no backup qb is winning for you in the playoffs. You’re hoping your backup can keep you afloat for a couple of games until your starter gets back. If you think any backup qb out there is taking you to the playoffs and winning then you’re the one on good drugs. Cooper is about as good a backup as any in this league

I mean back-up Qbs have won Super Bowls.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'll withhold judgment until I see preseason games.
I think we're okay, but I also think Dak will not start 17 games
Would be cool if we discover some improvement from the gallows.
Would it upset anyone if Rush, Nooch or Grier were to show some presence in this offense?
I would love to have some improvement there, depth is vital and shouldn't be confused with starting cred.
Dak shouldn't have anything to worry about, but the development of a decent BU that could get us through a few games should always be a focus.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I was behind him that game too. Because, for then, he was the best shot we had. It's another year though. Still not too late.

I would look at it as insurance. At least know that position is at least as important as depth at any other position.

One of the best things you can do for a team's confidence, have a good back up QB.
Not opposed to bringing in a quality vet.
Are there any available?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He won a game.

I'm supposed to be overly excited about that?

That's about all you expect out of a back up QB - win a game or two. If Dak gets knocked out for most of the season there's no back up savior out there.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was going to say this. Same for almost anyone else of stature. Look at Pollard vs. Zeke. People think they have to hate Zeke to get Pollard. That's by design from the media though, and some of our media is rotten. It's truly personal with them and the Cowboys establishment, and it hasn't helped the Cowboys much. But it can be a balance at times when Jerry gets too far out. I just think they should play like grownups. You know, this guy is the back up. It doesn't have to be a challenge to Dak. I get the media thing, but the media can do whatever they want. The team isn't bound by anyone in the media.

Back in the old days, they simply blocked all the commentary out.

Not today....
Back in the day the general public had no clue that JFK was 'blanking' Marilyn Monroe and interns. (I assume people are smart enough to know this is a historical pop culture reference and not more than that).