Backup for Pollard

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The player is expected to "honor" his contract, even if he feels (rightly or wrongly) he has outperformed the original deal.

The team does not have to "honor" the contract if they feel the player has under-performed the original deal.

The contract is such that teams can cut players without consequence, while players can't quit without consequence. It's business. "Honor" has nothing to do with this.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They handed the keys to Dak and Zeke as rookies...
UMM dak they and zero choice he was the 3rd guy on depth choice while 2 were injured ..the coaches ha dno choice they figured what the H , lest just see how they do and had zero expecations.. they have choice Morris and Jackson can handle the RB1 load and use pollard the way he was supposed to when drafted , as an RB2 that can be a multitool guy change of pace.. if he proves otherwise, so be it..

ZEKE was a 4th over all pick who was star at a big college, been toting the rock at high level since HS dude.. see this is where you fans think just anyone can come in and be Zeke , its not happening..

Zekes elite, hes special and he didnt just get that way when he was drafted, he was NFL ready day 1..

Pollard hasn't done squat yet, he was drafted on potential and so far is PS running vanilla against 2nd and 3rds..really???????? Can he block like zeke, take pounding? be able to just know the offense inside and out? that is why they wont simply throw him in as the starter , Morris is starter, knows the offense, and will start and Pollard will be brought in slowly until he PROVEs he can do it all.. blocking is important and being able to be where you are supposed to on every play..smh..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
UMM dak they and zero choice he was the 3rd guy on depth choice while 2 were injured ..the coaches ha dno choice they figured what the H , lest just see how they do and had zero expecations.. they have choice Morris and Jackson can handle the RB1 load and use pollard the way he was supposed to when drafted , as an RB2 that can be a multitool guy change of pace.. if he proves otherwise, so be it..

ZEKE was a 4th over all pick who was star at a big college, been toting the rock at high level since HS dude.. see this is where you fans think just anyone can come in and be Zeke , its not happening..

Zekes elite, hes special and he didnt just get that way when he was drafted, he was NFL ready day 1..

Pollard hasn't done squat yet, he was drafted on potential and so far is PS running vanilla against 2nd and 3rds..really???????? Can he block like zeke, take pounding? be able to just know the offense inside and out? that is why they wont simply throw him in as the starter , Morris is starter, knows the offense, and will start and Pollard will be brought in slowly until he PROVEs he can do it all.. blocking is important and being able to be where you are supposed to on every play..smh..

Pollard and Dak were both 4th round picks.

Romo got injured. Zeke is holding out.

Morris = Mark Sanchez = journeyman veteran

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pollard and Dak were both 4th round picks.

Romo got injured. Zeke is holding out.

Morris = Mark Sanchez = journeyman veteran

man do you comprehend logic, they had zero choice but to start Dak as Romo and Moore got hurt he was next up..Morris has been here hes a RB hes knows the offense as has Jackson and a Vet is much better suited to start over a rookie 4th round pick who didnt even start in college , you dig homie? blocking and assignments are very important and they will not start Pollard but will use him plenty throughout the game..
those trying to run zeke out are nuts anyway and think they see something in Pollard just because of the hype of PS,:lmao:

..my gut say he will be signed by game 1, between last ps game and the Tuesday reporting to get on opening day roster..this is moot..RBBC is not enough to replace zeke..we can get by but we are for sure better with Zeke starting and Pollard backing him up..

bye bye trolls:yourock:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
man do you comprehend logic, they had zero choice but to start Dak as Romo and Moore got hurt he was next up..Morris has been here hes a RB hes knows the offense as has Jackson and a Vet is much better suited to start over a rookie 4th round pick who didnt even start in college , you dig homie? blocking and assignments are very important and they will not start Pollard but will use him plenty throughout the game..
those trying to run zeke out are nuts anyway and think they see something in Pollard just because of the hype of PS,

..my gut say he will be signed by game 1, between last ps game and the Tuesday reporting to get on opening day roster..this is moot..RBBC is not enough to replace zeke..we can get by but we are for sure better with Zeke starting and Pollard backing him up..

bye bye trolls
Logic is what I do for a living, literally.

2016: They could have played veteran Mark Sanchez. They played rookie 4th round pick Dak instead.

2019: They could play play veteran Alfred Morris. They will play rookie 4th round pick Pollard instead.

I'm not one to buy into hype. I've been studying game footage of Pollard since before the Cowboys drafted him.
- I basically have the 2018 Memphis game(s) with Pollard vs UCF with Trysten Hill memorized.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Logic is what I do for a living, literally.

2016: They could have played veteran Mark Sanchez. They played rookie 4th round pick Dak instead.

2019: They could play play veteran Alfred Morris. They will play rookie 4th round pick Pollard instead.

I'm not one to buy into hype. I've been studying game footage of Pollard since before the Cowboys drafted him.
- I basically have the 2018 Memphis game(s) with Pollard vs UCF with Trysten Hill memorized.

NO stop the madness we arent talking who will play or not . who will START and get the bulk of the snaps..its Morris...of course pollard will play ITS RBBC now they will all play.. OLawale will get some as well..Sanchez did not know our offense and at the time new to the roster, of course dak was next up..its not even close to the same sitation..

dont worry your hate for EE will be fired because he will be back..dont lose to much sleep analyzing that..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO stop the madness we arent talking who will play or not . who will START and get the bulk of the snaps..its Morris...of course pollard will play ITS RBBC now they will all play.. OLawale will get some as well..Sanchez did not know our offense and at the time new to the roster, of course dak was next up..its not even close to the same sitation..

dont worry your hate for EE will be fired because he will be back..dont lose to much sleep analyzing that..

I don't hate Zeke and Zeke has nothing to do with whether they would start Pollard or Morris if Zeke does not show up.

Without Zeke, Pollard is going to play more snaps than Morris.

GoJacks

Reaction score
Crybaby? Because he wants more money?

I guess.

I'm just shocked that there are so many fans of the Cowboys who just take whatever wages their job offers them. No questions asked, no ambition or drive to want to be paid what you think you're worth.

I want Zeke to sign a team-friendly contract too (and I'd like him to grow up some), but I completely understand someone wanting to earn the most money possible, especially someone with such a short span to earn to tis kind of money.

Is Jerry a crybaby every time he holds out for a better business deal? Is the NFL crying when they demand top dollar from the networks?
If he wasn't the type of guy that would forfeit 40% of his annual salary because of his poor decisions and off the field actions, I might feel sorry for him. Or if he didn't throw a middle finger an his boss that went to battle for him, I might feel sorry for him.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The contract is such that teams can cut players without consequence, while players can't quit without consequence. It's business. "Honor" has nothing to do with this.

screw honor whatsoever
like many said, it is a business
then handle it like a business and use max leverage this year while they have it.
if this team is a real contender, it will be fine without zeke for the 1st 10 games
if not, then we get a better draft pick

Gaede

Reaction score
If Pollard's our starting RB this year, I may just wait till the inevitable high draft pick and new coaching staff in 2020 to care about the team

The fervor over Pollard has reached 'Joseph Randle can replace Murray' or 'Allen Hurns is a number one receiver' levels

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
No, I get that completely.

I just don't understand the mentality of fans who say the players must "honor" their deals but owners/teams do not have the same obligation.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If Pollard's our starting RB this year, I may just wait till the inevitable high draft pick and new coaching staff in 2020 to care about the team

The fervor over Pollard has reached 'Joseph Randle can replace Murray' or 'Allen Hurns is a number one receiver' levels
no, if the new offense works then zeke should be less critical.
if the new offense does not work, then look forward to a better draft pick

Gaede

Reaction score
no, if the new offense works then zeke should be less critical.
if the new offense does not work, then look forward to a better draft pick

I am not optimistic about the 'new' offense, even with Zeke.

Everything I've read from Garrett is that the plays are the same, but supposedly disguised better.

That sounds like window dressing to me.

just_catch_it

Reaction score
Is their enough Cap space left to even sign Zeke after Dak and Cooper get paid?? I remember back in the day players like Troy, Smith and Irvin redoing their contracts so we could sign the talent needed to win SBs, now it looks as if Zeke took this years SB chances with him to Mexico!! O well looks as if Carrot will be the fall guy after this season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No, I get that completely.

I just don't understand the mentality of fans who say the players must "honor" their deals but owners/teams do not have the same obligation.

The *deal* generally contains guaranteed years and non-guaranteed years, the latter being years the team has the option to keep the player or not.

Teams have to honor the guaranteed years. And no one doubts this. The optional years are just that - optional. Teams declining to continue with that option are not failing to honor a deal.

Technically, a player holding out probably is in breach of contract, for which the CBA defines remedies. The owners are not in breach by cutting a player to non-guaranteed years - that is their right under the contract.

I get it a little. People are projecting their own values for keeping a contract to the situation. If you're not a big wheeler dealer, you probably view a contract as a deal between people making a good faith effort to fulfill the terms and expectations. A handshake and honest intentions. If I cut you off from an ongoing deal to squeeze you the moment I have leverage, you will view me as a jerk, whether or not technically there is nothing in the contract that prevents me from doing this.

Zeke is squeezing when he has leverage. Kind of jerky. But college players had no representation during CBA negotiations, and so were screwed by their rookie deals. That's also rather jerky.

So that's the way it works in the NFL. It's not the handshakes and goodwill realm of contracts. It's the squeeze the other side when you have the advantage realm of contracts.

I think Jerry, and others, gloss over the NFL structurally screwing rookies, and want to make it all handshakes and goodwill *after* rookies get screwed. I'm sure they do. But there's no reason to expect players coming into the league with a kick in the teeth to simply take it and not press *their* advantage when they get one. What goes around, comes around.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I am not optimistic about the 'new' offense, even with Zeke.

Everything I've read from Garrett is that the plays are the same, but supposedly disguised better.

That sounds like window dressing to me.

well if the offense is no good, then lets hope zeke sits out and we get a better pick.
alternatively, if the offense does well, then zeke's value goes down.