Bad memory of Dallas in Charlotte

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
In 1996 I had a business trip in New Orleans and the playoff game vs the pretty new Carolina Panthers was on during my flight. So I had the old vcr programmed so I would get home to watch the defending champs rip this upstart expansion team. Trouble was the plane stopped in Charlotte. I didnt have to change planes but some other passengers got off and some others came on. The plane flew right over the stadium, while landing so it got pretty close. The game had just ended and all the lights were on, it was pretty cool. I was eager to get home, but then what do I see? I see several sullen people with Cowboy gear get on the plane. NO!!! Expletive, expletive!! This was even worse than watching them lose on tv.

One of my worst Cowboy memories

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
In 1996 I had a business trip in New Orleans and the playoff game vs the pretty new Carolina Panthers was on during my flight. So I had the old vcr programmed so I would get home to watch the defending champs rip this upstart expansion team. Trouble was the plane stopped in Charlotte. I didnt have to change planes but some other passengers got off and some others came on. The plane flew right over the stadium, while landing so it got pretty close. The game had just ended and all the lights were on, it was pretty cool. I was eager to get home, but then what do I see? I see several sullen people with Cowboy gear get on the plane. NO!!! Expletive, expletive!! This was even worse than watching them lose on tv.

And this was after we smashed the vikes and had I think top 3 D. I was crushed.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I remember the sinking feeling too. Was tough. And agree with people who mentioned the Cards. I’m sure most of you like me had yourselves convinced we could turn the ship around and still do it. Feels like it fell apart so fast. Jerra, Jerra, Jerra… if you just could have just worked it out with Jimmy. :confused:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
From the Irvin and Lett suspensions, to Emmitt playing injured all year, to the media savagery regarding Skip’s book…the 96/97 season was one of the worst seasons I’ve ever experienced.
Wasn’t that the same year that Switzer forgot to take his firearm out of his luggage at the airport, too? :laugh:

Plankton

Reaction score
The worst part was that they destroyed the Vikings in the first round the week before, which gave some hope that after a tough season they were finally putting it all together in time for a playoff run. Nope.
They also had the false hope of Jay Novacek returning to practice for the week against the Panthers. Then, the Irvin/Erik Williams false rape allegations, and then the injuries in the game. Sad to see.

Without Lett, even if they had won and managed to stay healthy going to Green Bay, I don't think they would have made the SB. The next weekend in Green Bay, the temps were like -3 degrees.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I knew the odds of the Cowboys winning another championship in the 90s was pretty slim after that loss to Carolina in the 96 playoffs. That’s when it became evident the team was declining. Carolina won by two scores and didn’t even make it to the Super Bowl.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
For me that game was much worse
Yep. We were banged up for the 1996-97 Panthers game. We didn't have enough left to win that game. It didn't necessarily signal to me the era was completely done with. But the Cardinals playoff loss did. Cardinals didn't just win, they made us look silly and weak. That's when I knew the era had ran out of steam. I think we sneaked in the playoffs on the final day of the next season on a very crazy scenario and then got drilled by the Vikings the wild card round.

Also, the moment when Irvin was lying lifeless on the crappy Vet Stadium turf, that the door was completely shut and that signaled the end of the triplets.