Bad memory of Dallas in Charlotte

tunahelper

Reaction score
In 1996 I had a business trip in New Orleans and the playoff game vs the pretty new Carolina Panthers was on during my flight. So I had the old vcr programmed so I would get home to watch the defending champs rip this upstart expansion team. Trouble was the plane stopped in Charlotte. I didnt have to change planes but some other passengers got off and some others came on. The plane flew right over the stadium, while landing so it got pretty close. The game had just ended and all the lights were on, it was pretty cool. I was eager to get home, but then what do I see? I see several sullen people with Cowboy gear get on the plane. NO!!! Expletive, expletive!! This was even worse than watching them lose on tv.

One of my worst Cowboy memories
My wife and I got engaged at the 2005 Christmas eve Dallas at Panthers game. We won in the final minutes. It was a great day.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Remember in 2021 when they were 3-0 and rolled into Dallas thinking they were good and then got clobbered and sucked for the rest of the year?

Good times.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Lol the darnold hype was hilarious
That was the game when Zeke and Pollard had a gazillion yards together right? If not, it was right next to it. AND I remember Carolina had started out HOT! For a moment, thought we had an unbreakable rushing attack. Nope, just a bad opponent. :banghead:

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
In 1996 I had a business trip in New Orleans and the playoff game vs the pretty new Carolina Panthers was on during my flight. So I had the old vcr programmed so I would get home to watch the defending champs rip this upstart expansion team. Trouble was the plane stopped in Charlotte. I didnt have to change planes but some other passengers got off and some others came on. The plane flew right over the stadium, while landing so it got pretty close. The game had just ended and all the lights were on, it was pretty cool. I was eager to get home, but then what do I see? I see several sullen people with Cowboy gear get on the plane. NO!!! Expletive, expletive!! This was even worse than watching them lose on tv.

This is NOT that Panthers team.

Still think the Cowboys will play down to them.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
2004 was worse
Don’t see how 2004 was worse than losing at home to a Jake Plummer led Cardinals team that we had beaten twice that season. The Cowboys swept the NFC East in 98. No one saw them losing to the Cardinals that year in the playoffs. I didn’t expect us to do anything in 2004 with old man Vinny at QB. I knew that was going to be a rough season after Carter was released in training camp and Vinny was named the starter. He was riding the pine in New York prior to coming to the Cowboys. He spent one season with the Cowboys.

links18

Reaction score
i thought quarterbacks are supposed to be able to win with other types of players. Elevate them LOL. elite qb hofer should be able to win on his own against a scrub team..hmm double standard fact is troy never won games with his big 3 and his stars and big daddy Jimmay.. :)) fact our other qbs are held to that standard, no excuses go win!! :muttley:;)
Dude, it was Billy Davis he was throwing to. Billy Davis....

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Don’t see how 2004 was worse than losing at home to a Jake Plummer led Cardinals team that we had beaten twice that season. The Cowboys swept the NFC East in 98. No one saw them losing to the Cardinals that year in the playoffs. I didn’t expect us to do anything in 2004 with old man Vinny at QB. I knew that was going to be a rough season after Carter was released in training camp and Vinny was named the starter. He was riding the pine in New York prior to coming to the Cowboys. He spent one season with the Cowboys.
For me at least 2004 was the start of the trajectory we have been on. I still had hope in the 90s. After 2004 it's just been pain and misery.

Doomsday77

Reaction score

On the other hand, I was in Charlotte October 2006 for Tony's first start replacing Bledsoe in a victory!

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep. We were banged up for the 1996-97 Panthers game. We didn't have enough left to win that game. It didn't necessarily signal to me the era was completely done with. But the Cardinals playoff loss did. Cardinals didn't just win, they made us look silly and weak. That's when I knew the era had ran out of steam. I think we sneaked in the playoffs on the final day of the next season on a very crazy scenario and then got drilled by the Vikings the wild card round.

Also, the moment when Irvin was lying lifeless on the crappy Vet Stadium turf, that the door was completely shut and that signaled the end of the triplets.
Yep, you knew it was the end with that loss. It reminded me of when Dallas lost to the 9-7 Rams team in 1983. That marked the end of those Cowboys.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
January 5, 1992

Losing to the Detroit Lions, still their ONLY playoff win since 1957, is the most embarrassing playoff loss IMHO.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yep, you knew it was the end with that loss. It reminded me of when Dallas lost to the 9-7 Rams team in 1983. That marked the end of those Cowboys.
Actually, those Cowboys tried to regroup (after going 7-9 in 1984) during the 1985 season. Eked out an NFC East title by going 10-6, but then got smashed by the Rams 0-20 in the divisional round playoff game.
Then the wheels finally came off the following 1986 season.

J_Allen

Reaction score
1996 was a tough season and I knew it would be going in. We just didn't have any receiving weapons outside of Irvin and had to kick field goals in the red zone. After that loss to Carolina I knew the dynasty was over. It was very hard to take.

triplets_93

Reaction score

Still stings to this day. It was one of "those" memories that do not fade over time.

Flamma

Reaction score
Actually, those Cowboys tried to regroup (after going 7-9 in 1984) during the 1985 season. Eked out an NFC East title by going 10-6, but then got smashed by the Rams 0-20 in the divisional round playoff game.
Then the wheels finally came off the following 1986 season.
Oh I remember it. The Cowboys won the division in a game where Too Tall Jones batted the ball, and Jeffcoat took it in for a score in a game against the Giants. I think that game sealed it for them. But that team was already on its last leg.

I remember reading an article in an actual newspaper. An entire article on how the Giants were going to win and why. He predicted they'd win by at least 3 touchdowns. I was so happy when the Cowboys won. And won in spectacular fashion.