Bad Playcalling or QB play?

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not sure that play calling is really the issue, or at least not a major issue.....150+ snaps in we can certainly find issues somewhere if you look hard enough. Dak hasn't played well overall, he's looked great for periods of all three games this year, but the overall body of work has been very average. The issue I continue to go back to is simply a lack of overall talent/execution on that side of the football.

Both T positions have been liabilities this year which really limits how much of your playbook you have available. You simply can't run those longer developing routes often, and when you do you are typically forced to keep in 6-7 guys to protect. You lack a 2nd receiver for teams to account for, and your run game is among the worst in the league.

This is an uphill battle where both Dak and McCarthy are trying to make the best of bad situations. I feel bad for McCarthy because he is the one who is going to need to pull off a miracle to avoid being the scapegoat as Jerry tries to sell hope to the fans through signing a new HC instead of going out and actually adding veteran talent to the roster.
I believe MM was kept on for the specific purpose of being the scapegoat.

Jerry must have someone to blame because he isn't a strong enough person to take blame himself.

kskboys

Reaction score
I respect the loyalty to Lance, but it's time to let that dream die bro. Once the Dak deal was finalized the Lance trade became a waste of a 4th round pick by Jerry. Best case scenario now is he nets us a late comp pick.
They give comp picks for players who don't play? That's new.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They give comp picks for players who don't play? That's new.
These backup QBs you just never know, but it seems like one of them gets a team a comp pick every year. Sometimes its simply timing that allows him to get some snaps. Who expected Malik Willis to get two starts already this season?

kskboys

Reaction score
These backup QBs you just never know, but it seems like one of them gets a team a comp pick every year. Sometimes its simply timing that allows him to get some snaps. Who expected Malik Willis to get two starts already this season?
I'm pretty positive you don't get comp picks for backups. You only get comp picks for starters.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It is impossible to judge without being in Dak's shoes to see what he is seeing. Guys who look open from a top view might not look that open from ground level where the QB is standing. But from this video of a few plays, it does not look like Cowboys receivers are getting a lot of separation early. Dak has to decide who will break open after he releases the ball.
I assume it would be giving up too much info on a QB and what his tendencies are as far as what he is looking at before and after the snap...

But, like any sport, players should be able to adjust to new wrinkles/rules in the game...

Anyway, what I am getting at is...it would be nice to have cameras, at eye level, tucked into helmets so fans could actually see what a QB is seeing in real time. Not during live broadcast, but after the game it be available like All-22.

It wouldnt be as good as your actual eyes...but a camera in the helmet, at eye level, to the side...would seriously hush up a bunch of the unreasonable hate towards QB's.

The game just moves so fast.

Going further on the topic of QB's diagnosing a defense pre-snap and then having to execute in real time...I am surprised a gaming company hasnt created a SIMULATION you can exercise using 3D goggles. Create a football SIM for a QB but the game moves faster than current NFL. This would speed up the post-snap processing of QB's I would think.

In a Multi-Billion Dollar sports industry...I assume a product like this, if not one already, would be a gold mine for a programmer. Every NFL, Secondary pro-league, college and high school would want to use it for their QB. Dont they have sport drink commercials that hint at this being a thing?

Jarntt

Reaction score
It's both. I didn't really watch the video after the first couple of plays because I'm assuming the plays were picked by someone solidly on one side of the "Dak is the greatest ever" or "Dak sucks" debate but I will say there were a lot of plays where Dak seems to pick the wrong guy. He has locked in early this year and in particular on slants and crossing patterns and other patterns right over the middle. He is throwing behind guys and missing guys and throwing too late. But the play calling seems stale also. Same old vanilla runs and patterns that just look very different from what some of these other teams are running today. We run our backs into a wall every play and don't seem to do anything about it. We see Balt DBs playing up on us and don't seem to adjust. In short, both, but the problems don't stop there. OL has been OK since it's being rebuilt, but not great, RBs are a joke and don't get me started on the defense

NotForLong

Reaction score
I don't know why it's either/or.

If you want to find clips of Dak and/or players missing plays, you can find them.

If you want to find clips of the offense looking like it was drawn up by a 5th Grader, you can find them.

Sometimes the players screw up decent playcalls:
  • Open receivers missed
  • Poor run or pass blocking
  • Terrible runner vision
  • Easily catchable balls dropped
  • Balls fumbled in the RZ
  • Receivers slipping and falling when the pass is thrown to them
  • Poor passing decisions when trying to force the ball to specific players
Sometimes the play designs do not allow for a high chance of success:
  • The old everyone run to the sticks and turn around
  • Multiple WRs in the same vicinity making it easy to cover both
  • Empty backfields against a clear blitz packages
  • Most of our best offensive series so far has been in the 2 minute warning which is typically with less OC/Coach input.
And that's just the offensive side. The defensive side is identical.

IMO, the coaches and players need to both look in the mirror because outside of Aubrey, no one has been blameless for this mess.

But of course, depending on your personal agenda, typically dealing with a certain player, you will probably attempt to put the blame on one side or the other.

So if you believe changing out one player or swapping out one coach fixes it, I got some ocean front property in Dallas TX I would like to sell you.

Just sayin'
Very very long drawn out . . . excuse

NotForLong

Reaction score
I'm not sure that play calling is really the issue, or at least not a major issue.....150+ snaps in we can certainly find issues somewhere if you look hard enough. Dak hasn't played well overall, he's looked great for periods of all three games this year, but the overall body of work has been very average. The issue I continue to go back to is simply a lack of overall talent/execution on that side of the football.

Both T positions have been liabilities this year which really limits how much of your playbook you have available. You simply can't run those longer developing routes often, and when you do you are typically forced to keep in 6-7 guys to protect. You lack a 2nd receiver for teams to account for, and your run game is among the worst in the league.

This is an uphill battle where both Dak and McCarthy are trying to make the best of bad situations. I feel bad for McCarthy because he is the one who is going to need to pull off a miracle to avoid being the scapegoat as Jerry tries to sell hope to the fans through signing a new HC instead of going out and actually adding veteran talent to the roster.
Dak has looked "GREAT" for periods of all three games this year

Delusional Excuse

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm pretty positive you don't get comp picks for backups. You only get comp picks for starters.
There is a snap count threshold that makes a player eligible, I think its like 20% of a teams snaps or something like that. Mike White, Trevor Semien, Chase Daniel, CJ Bethard have all gotten their previous teams comp picks just because they got into a few games. Several others were eligible had their teams not acquired as many free agents. You just never know as guys are one injury away from seeing the field.

NotForLong

Reaction score
It is impossible to judge without being in Dak's shoes to see what he is seeing. Guys who look open from a top view might not look that open from ground level where the QB is standing. But from this video of a few plays, it does not look like Cowboys receivers are getting a lot of separation early. Dak has to decide who will break open after he releases the ball.
Dak is blind

NotForLong

Reaction score
This is not that easy. As a playcaller you have to adapt to the talent level of your qb. That gets very complicated when it is so low as with our qb. He can essentially throw only fly routes to the te over the middle on constant basis. Everything else is always pure luck with him.

But as an playcaller you want to call plays from which you know that in 90% of the time your qb is able to make them. So every playcaller will look one dimensional and not creative with this qb.

As an example look at how many sweeps we a running by wrs. Is that because our wrs are so great runners? No its because you need speed to turn the corner. Speed our rbs lack.

So you are handcuffed as a playcaller when your players lack certain skills. And with our qb the "list of lack" is so long you are quicker to note which ones he has: great leader, great talker, great businessman.
Exactly

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dak has had success before ........ he does not look comfortable behind this rebuilt line or the pass plays.

He is not a great passer ....... but the scheme and oline are not helping him at all.
If I had a nickel every time I heard this

NotForLong

Reaction score
I guess you think I am defending Dak ....... amber and his boy-band would be shocked
At this point it does not matter any more. There is nothing anyone can do to "help" him.

Through his career I have heard many many many times about the Offensive Line. That is all I am saying. It is what it is

You mention success but I have not seen any. In this fast break "NBA" modern NFL stats are meaningless to me. I have watched every game and I am sick and tired of not beating a upper echelon team during the regular season let alone playoffs

There is no success. As far as the offensive Line. At every opportunity they have been thrown under the bus as the escape goat. Now based upon 2 rookies starting and it being week 4 the offensive line gripe is legit

All I am saying I have heard every excuse made and every member of this organization used as the escape goat . . . that at this point I am devoid of apathy or pity

It is my team and I am here for the **** show because based upon the mind numbing signing on opening day all I have left is an unemotional cold hearted feeling towards them. And the only possible enjoyment I can take in the next four years is watching the team implode . . . Not because I wish it so but because it is what Jerry created

I do not believe you are making excuses. I just despise the fact that our young talented rookies will be sacrificed at the Alter of Dak. Because Dak must be protected at all costs things will be said publicly that will be harsher then they should be.

But in trying to figure out why the All time great Dak Prescott is struggling the development of these future talents may be ******** by over zealous Dakstans and National Media trying to click bait

But hey it is what it is and I am just here for the Show