Bad Playcalling or QB play?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The sample size of OC's is large enough to start looking at the common denominator known as the QB.
Yeah but they all stink and run outdated offenses. We are talking about Kellen Moore and there’s Sean McVeys in the league. A whole tree of Shanahan deciples.

Garrett out of a job
Linehan stuck in college
Kellen Moore on his 3rd team in 3 years

Who the hell is Jerry hiring?

75boyz

Reaction score
yeah this does sum it up.
Problem is mike doesn't see it is partly because of him.
You have to acknowledge a problem before it can be corrected. Jones boys suffer from this same ailment.
Jerry acknowledged in an 11 page CZ thread yesterday that he was a part of the problem as the GM.

He just doesn't care enough to change cuz doing it his way is all that matters when playing with his toy, aka the Dallas Cowboys football team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
At this point it does not matter any more. There is nothing anyone can do to "help" him.

Through his career I have heard many many many times about the Offensive Line. That is all I am saying. It is what it is

You mention success but I have not seen any. In this fast break "NBA" modern NFL stats are meaningless to me. I have watched every game and I am sick and tired of not beating a upper echelon team during the regular season let alone playoffs

There is no success. As far as the offensive Line. At every opportunity they have been thrown under the bus as the escape goat. Now based upon 2 rookies starting and it being week 4 the offensive line gripe is legit

All I am saying I have heard every excuse made and every member of this organization used as the escape goat . . . that at this point I am devoid of apathy or pity

It is my team and I am here for the **** show because based upon the mind numbing signing on opening day all I have left is an unemotional cold hearted feeling towards them. And the only possible enjoyment I can take in the next four years is watching the team implode . . . Not because I wish it so but because it is what Jerry created

I do not believe you are making excuses. I just despise the fact that our young talented rookies will be sacrificed at the Alter of Dak. Because Dak must be protected at all costs things will be said publicly that will be harsher then they should be.

But in trying to figure out why the All time great Dak Prescott is struggling the development of these future talents may be ******** by over zealous Dakstans and National Media trying to click bait

But hey it is what it is and I am just here for the Show
I agree with you, feel same way, but dak is a ok qb , but I think the problem is on coaches more than the players, and the players
dont really have a HC aside from jerry lol.

I think jerrys mess is now imploding and he created the whole mess.

I think signing dak and lamb was the wrong thing at this point, but jerry doesnt know how to do anything else.
He will sign parsons too, and no telling what he does about the HC. Future FA? who knows. Draft no telling lol.

I dont see how cowboys can fix things in this short week. and it is a road game which makes it even shorter.

Mikexike

Reaction score
from what i can gather from that video, it seems to be a play design problem..... too many long developing routes for a team that can't run.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't know why it's either/or.

If you want to find clips of Dak and/or players missing plays, you can find them.

If you want to find clips of the offense looking like it was drawn up by a 5th Grader, you can find them.

Sometimes the players screw up decent playcalls:
  • Open receivers missed
  • Poor run or pass blocking
  • Terrible runner vision
  • Easily catchable balls dropped
  • Balls fumbled in the RZ
  • Receivers slipping and falling when the pass is thrown to them
  • Poor passing decisions when trying to force the ball to specific players
Sometimes the play designs do not allow for a high chance of success:
  • The old everyone run to the sticks and turn around
  • Multiple WRs in the same vicinity making it easy to cover both
  • Empty backfields against a clear blitz packages
  • Most of our best offensive series so far has been in the 2 minute warning which is typically with less OC/Coach input.
And that's just the offensive side. The defensive side is identical.

IMO, the coaches and players need to both look in the mirror because outside of Aubrey, no one has been blameless for this mess.

But of course, depending on your personal agenda, typically dealing with a certain player, you will probably attempt to put the blame on one side or the other.

So if you believe changing out one player or swapping out one coach fixes it, I got some ocean front property in Dallas TX I would like to sell you.

Just sayin'
100 :hammer:

blueblood70

Reaction score
You decide.

look like the man said below it's all the above stop trying to pick on the quarterback when we have one of the worst separation rates in football for three years running now our guys are not getting open on time before Prescott has to stop and start moving off his spot where his eyes start feeling the rush and he's gotta start moving he's retreating backwards sideways and then you start losing sight of some of these plays who are eventually open but not open when he hits his back foot then he has to look at the second and third options then he has to decide where to go football so it's everything combined it's the offensive line the separation rates and the fact that sometimes the play calling sucks so bad you have three guys running in the same exact depth in the same play it's been broken down all the time this is happening in real time really fast when people go back and breakdown film it's not what's really going on on the field or anybody could play quarterback in the NFL...

So I will decide stop blaming the quarterback because what I've seen this year is that once again there's no threat of a run game where one-dimensional and a lot of the routes are questionable in the separation rates are terrible not on every play but many plays that'll start getting into quarterbacks head that he can't throw the ball because what will happen when you have a 2022 incident where he throws extra interceptions because he's forcing the ball to covered receivers?/

so I don't know why we need to have all these blame that when the defense is giving up like 120 points and the last three home games once again we have no run game the offensive line ask Nate Newton they just broke it down in the video they seem disjointed Terrence Steele is getting worked over there and you know what a quarterback starts to feel that and sometimes what you see on film he doesn't have time to see he's looking for his primary first then he's gotta go through his reads some of the people you see open did you know his primary do you know what he was supposed to be looking at do you know what he felt when a guy's coming off the edge and now they're free and he's gotta start running this happens this is all it is stop blaming the quarterback when there's so many other problems on this team it's useless...

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Combo of both. But also add in OL play. The pocket collapses often on pass plays coupled with the routes called need time to develop. For whatever reason, Dallas playcalling refuses to call shorter passing routes that take less time to develop. Everything seems to be deeper routes such as outs and curls.

This OL just isn't that good in the run or pass game.

We have no idea how to cater to our personnel and design an offense based on that. I go back to when Wentz went down for the season and Foles had to step in. Pederson sat down with Foles and watched every snap of his 2013 season and implemented the best offensive approach for Foles going forward, instead of him just running the offense for Wentz. Every QB has their own strengths and weaknesses. Also need to equate the OL's strength and weaknesses.

Not to mention, we have no run game at all to take pressure off the passing game. There is way more to the offensive failures than just a few things. It's a combination of everything.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
As usual its probably a bit of both with alot of others missing assignments and sucjh also.....stop presnap penalties that adds to this, stop wasting first down,,,that adds to this..Dak needs to settle in and stop throwing the ball 5 feet to high because that adds to this also...its the sum of all its parts...

jgboys1

Reaction score
This is an easy one.
It was Linehan's,Garrett's, Moore's, and McCarthy's playcalling.

Come on...
Cowboys!
Exactly!

I do not know what took you so long to discover this?

It is never Dak's fault!

He is an All Pro, MVP, Franchise QB and don't you ever forget it!

75boyz

Reaction score
And what is their success post Dallas? Out of the league or still sucking....
Makes the near future more dire. The QB is established already as a poor playoff performer.
The current HC/playcaller also sucks at playoff football.
Not a winning formula.

So no matter who you replace the playcaller with, the fact remains the QB still sucks at playoff football.

Sad times.

Redline360

Reaction score
It's a combination or both. The passing and rubbing scheme has been pretty atrocious.

We have two 1k receivers and a TE that looks ready to become top 10 if not already there but yet they struggle for separation? If anything it points to bad schemes.

Then on the other hand when Dak gets time to throw the ball to open receivers he's often behind or completely misses them. We already have seen some ridiculously hard catches being made from balls being way behind recievers.

You can easily find break down videos supporting both of those situations.

All I know is our run game is baaaad and we seem to be the worst nfl team at screen passes.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is a snap count threshold that makes a player eligible, I think its like 20% of a teams snaps or something like that. Mike White, Trevor Semien, Chase Daniel, CJ Bethard have all gotten their previous teams comp picks just because they got into a few games. Several others were eligible had their teams not acquired as many free agents. You just never know as guys are one injury away from seeing the field.
Really? I just learned something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!