Bad player management starting with Witten

amame25

Reaction score
First I was happy to see Witten resign with the team. I like the guy and think he will help through the season.

But with less than 2 mins to go in the 4th quarter - no timeouts why is Witten anywhere near the field?

He should never be in on a 2 min offense. He just doesnt have the speed to get down field and make big plays. Jarwin should be on the field. No excuse. That is poor player management. You need to put the right personnel on the field to give you the best chance to win.

Have you even watched a game this year or are you just parroting the old and slow Witten narrative? Witten ran a faster 40 time coming into the league than Jarwin and even given that he's probably slowed down he would still be less than a second slower than Jarwin at this point most likely. I think that 1 second is more than worth his ability to find the opening in the zone and his sure hands. You people are acting like Jarwin is the second coming of Gronk.

I would even go further to say that Pollard should be on the field in that situation over Zeke. He is more shifty type of back - runs better routs in the passing game and better hands catching the ball.

Better routes and better hands? Can you back up that assertion or is this just another the backup is always better?

Other issue I have is why is Austin even on the field? This guy hasnt done anything for the team since he has been here. I rather have Pollard playing his spot on the field.

Why? What has he really done in the passing game to give you such a high opinion? Is it his 4 stellar professional catches?

Just seems like Cowboys do not use the strength of their personnel in different situations.

Been looking for a parrot emoticon but can't find one so I'll just say SQUACK!

Zman5

Reaction score
I like to see more Jarwin between the 20s. Especially when the defense is playing mostly cover 2 like the Saints were.
We can use Witten more once we get closer to the redzone.

This is how the Chargers did it when they drafted Hunter Henry and still had Antonio Gates.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
First I was happy to see Witten resign with the team. I like the guy and think he will help through the season.

But with less than 2 mins to go in the 4th quarter - no timeouts why is Witten anywhere near the field?

He should never be in on a 2 min offense. He just doesnt have the speed to get down field and make big plays. Jarwin should be on the field. No excuse. That is poor player management. You need to put the right personnel on the field to give you the best chance to win.

I would even go further to say that Pollard should be on the field in that situation over Zeke. He is more shifty type of back - runs better routs in the passing game and better hands catching the ball.

Other issue I have is why is Austin even on the field? This guy hasnt done anything for the team since he has been here. I rather have Pollard playing his spot on the field.

Just seems like Cowboys do not use the strength of their personnel in different situations.

I was thinking much the same about Pollard. Earlier in the game as well.

Although the complaint about Austin seems poorly targeted. Like Pollard, he's one of our best open field runners. Best punt returner. If you're going to dump off over the middle, Austin and Pollard are our best bets to break it.

I didn't like seeing WItten on the field. But Witten's a guy you can run to the sidelines. We have used him effectively in 2 minute that way before. It depends on what the other team is giving you, and how we tried to use him.

Their QB gave up a sack to screw them. Our QB returned the favor. And then Tyron gets injured and can't make it off the field, so it's an extra 10 second run off. That was brutal.

The offensive coaching was just weird. We refused to keep doing what was working. 1st down passing and throws to the TEs were near flawless. Keep doing that until they're not.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A 2 minute offense isn't just about big plays, and in fact, if that's all a team tries to do with a 2 minute offense they are hurting themselves by limiting what the defense has to protect against. And the reality is, big plays are what the defense is most geared to protect against in a 2 minute situation. 2 minute offenses are designed to march downfield, and you also have to remember the Cowboys didn't have to go the length of the field to win, they only had to get in FG range.

We had 72 seconds to go at least 60 yards, w/o timeouts. 0.83 yards per second. We could be tackled in bounds only about 3 times. We needed chunks or catches that stop the clock.

Cmac

Reaction score
Save time.....just blame 2019 Fall Guy.....Zeke.

nobody

Reaction score
The O-line was struggling. If Witten was in as a blocker, I can accept that he was in to help the line. He's a better blocker, but he's slow. If he was in to make plays in their 2-minute configuration instead? There's something wrong.

jrumann59

Reaction score
All anyone really remembers is Jarwin's game in week 17 last year against the giants. Upto that point he was nothing to right home about and really this year he has been really nothing to right home about. No seems to remember him dropping passes in the previous weeks this year all they remember are the HIGHLIGHTS. He has a role and is a better downfield guy but if he can't block he can't really be in there for plays where he "acts" like he is blocking, IIRC Schultz has been relegated to the blocking TE which means most 2 TE sets which the team runs from also requires "blocking"

ICP

Reaction score
I couldn't possible agree with you more. Jarwin is way better than Witten at this point in their careers too. He is much faster, has better hands and actually gain yards after the catch etc.
Bbbbut it's Jason Witten!

Verdict

Reaction score
I agree with your take on Austin , but Witten was in there because he can find the openings in the defense better than any of his teammates and he can catch the ball in tight coverage. Witten is a security blanket for every QB that he has played with.

No. Witten is in the game because of favoritism. Same with Lee.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I like to see more Jarwin between the 20s. Especially when the defense is playing mostly cover 2 like the Saints were.
We can use Witten more once we get closer to the redzone.

This is how the Chargers did it when they drafted Hunter Henry and still had Antonio Gates.
you lost all credibility using the chargers..they are the Cowboys East..what the heck have they done the last 6-7 years with superior talent? put up hollow number and get bounced in the playoffs..lol

Zman5

Reaction score
you lost all credibility using the chargers..they are the Cowboys East..what the heck have they done the last 6-7 years with superior talent? put up hollow number and get bounced in the playoffs..lol

Lol. What a dumb argument. Yeh the Chargers didn't win anything because of how they used their TEs. Yeh that's it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lol. What a dumb argument. Yeh the Chargers didn't win anything because of how they used their TEs. Yeh that's it.
PLAYER Management is topic , they obviously have dont nothing better then us in that department because they've won nothing..

silvrNblue

Reaction score
All any of us can really do is speculate on what we think. IMO, us punting away with a 4th and 2 is what killed any chance of a decent shot at a come back... I may be wrong, but the side line carrot is notorious for dumb a** decisions. Kind of a deja vu from last season eh....

Rayman70

Reaction score
PLAYER management was fine. Lets not make this something is wasn't. We gave the rock away too many times. We deserved to lose.

BigD_95

Reaction score
U lost me at Austin, agree with everything else...

All our fastest guys should have been on the field they should have gone 5 wide...

My issue with Austin is, speed doesn't matter. Austin doesn't seem to get open and he doesn't make plays. Why the Rams gave up on him and he wasn't successful in that offense either.

Yet Witten is slow but seems to get open. Just because you are fast does not mean you can play and I think Austin fits that statement.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Witten is just too slow,He is again hogging all the snaps and he is also one of the reasons our Offense was stagnant under Linehan.If 11 personnel is our base than i would rather Jarwin get a majority of the snaps.

BigD49

Reaction score
Changes I'd like to see

Jarwin/Witten- Jarwin seeing 70% of snaps, Witten with 35%
Zeke/Pollard- Zeke seeing 65% of snaps and Pollard on the field for 30%
Covington and Collins in on 100% of 3rd and 7+
Give Joe Thomas the majority of Lee's snaps

Can I get the remaining 5% of RB snaps? :)
The extra 5% of TE snaps can come out of Witt's end

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Can I get the remaining 5% of RB snaps? :)
The extra 5% of TE snaps can come out of Witt's end

Nope those 5% of snaps are for Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Tavon, and Jarwin all split out wide.

The 5% extra on TEs are for short yardage situations.

None for you!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Witten IS slow..but man alive guys, he gets open and catches everything. On his fumble that would have been a HUGE play in the ball game had he hung on to it. Love Jarwin too and I agree we need to get him more involved.