Baffled at the idea of no RB. Until I realized

DCwarrior

Reaction score
How nice, old boy.
He'll be a hell of a player because who needs camps, familiarity with the playbook, etc.
He will just step right in and play like a regular McCafferty.
I’m not saying I like the idea but it is what is. Zeke will be our McCafferty or whatever you said ole chap.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
There is still the very real possibility a 2025 pick is sent for a RB before the start of the season. A quality RB would've been nice in the draft, but I'm glad they didn't reach for one IF their board had other positions ranked higher. I doubt any RB available in the later rounds is much of an improvement over the stable of scrubs currently on the roster.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
No nothing like that. The Cowboys are simply not going to overpay for RBs in the future. The default from this time forward will be RB by committee and on the cheap. They are gambling that a stout OL and passing will be enough to establish balance on offense with average to above average RBs. They realize that you can't have it all. You can't pay top in the league dollar for a QB, pass rusher, WR, CB and the money they will be spending on the OL and not have to go short somewhere. The RB position makes the most sense. Now I will agree that they should have picked up a RB with one of the 3rd round picks. But as long as they can run enough to keep the offense in manageable 3rd down situations, then things will be fine. There's always next year and I do think there will be someone to trade for.
I agree 100%, I think a trade is coming, but Jerry is not going to overpay. The investment is/was in the OL.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
I’m glad we have all our picks next year (- 7th) along with this year’s draft picks. Worst case we may be drafting in the 15-20 range.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Has Zeke found a mysterious training method to regain his speed and explosion? Is this the secret being held tightly?

There were several washed up baseball pitchers who lost 10 miles per hour off their top velocity and underwent stem cell injections and miraculously got speed back to their arms, due to the anatomical improvements. What if Zeke had this done to multiple joints and now has his acceleration back?

Other than this scenario, which is legal, then I question the Cowboys' brass; sanity in not drafting or signing a free agent RB.

Take this historical truth, in the past 54 years, no undrafted running back ever started for the Cowboys in a game other than 1974's Doug Dennison from Kutztown State, excluding injury substitutes.

nathanlt

Reaction score
No nothing like that. The Cowboys are simply not going to overpay for RBs in the future. The default from this time forward will be RB by committee and on the cheap. They are gambling that a stout OL and passing will be enough to establish balance on offense with average to above average RBs. They realize that you can't have it all. You can't pay top in the league dollar for a QB, pass rusher, WR, CB and the money they will be spending on the OL and not have to go short somewhere. The RB position makes the most sense. Now I will agree that they should have picked up a RB with one of the 3rd round picks. But as long as they can run enough to keep the offense in manageable 3rd down situations, then things will be fine. There's always next year and I do think there will be someone to trade for.
I think you have a good viewpoint on what the Cowboys are doing, I just disagree with the "overpaying" comment. Not that you are wrong, but the Cowboys seem to be going further... rather than overpay, they are going to ignore the position. This entire offseason has shown that.

That's frustrating.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Has Zeke found a mysterious training method to regain his speed and explosion? Is this the secret being held tightly?

There were several washed up baseball pitchers who lost 10 miles per hour off their top velocity and underwent stem cell injections and miraculously got speed back to their arms, due to the anatomical improvements. What if Zeke had this done to multiple joints and now has his acceleration back?

Other than this scenario, which is legal, then I question the Cowboys' brass; sanity in not drafting or signing a free agent RB.

Take this historical truth, in the past 54 years, no undrafted running back ever started for the Cowboys in a game other than 1974's Doug Dennison from Kutztown State, excluding injury substitutes.
I used to watch the 6 million dollar man as a kid.... Back than, that was a frivolous expense... but it was a humanoid technology mix... That might be the only way this works out. Signing Zeke will be a depressing day to be a Cowboy fan.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not see this thread title until now and I clicked on it. Now I cannot unclick on it.

Someone help me.

erod

Reaction score
I honestly thought that the group, with Pollard was pretty strong last offseason. Vaughn provides shiftiness, (Yet to be realized, or demoed in the season) Leupke is a dual threat (has to watch the ill-timed fumbles) Dowdle shows some burst in light workloads. Don't want to see Zeke on the roster.

Rookie RB's are frequently at the peak of their short careers, whatever their pedigree, and end up burning out in most cases, at 5 to 6 years.
Somebody has to be able to pick up a blitz and get a yard for a first down.

Zeke can do that. The others can't.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Zeke is the TB1 and that’s that. I hope they look to trade for someone who can split carries but I think they are content going into the year with Zeke/dowdle/Deuce
Those guys plus the UDFA Nate Peak. Deuce might get beat out. I don’t think they want to run the ball this year. They want to have Dak throw it every play and put him and McCarthy’s butts on the line. Whoever comes in next will have a good OL.