Baffled at the idea of no RB. Until I realized

CWR

Reaction score
Sure it is, but they got the linebacker, and the corner, and the receiver. You take away any of the 3 and you have a hole.
I get that. What I'm saying is this team and qb really need a legitimate ball carrier to make the offense hum. Its more important than the other positions when we bring in absolutely no one. The cupboard is bare and Zeke isn't the answer. I'll hope they come to that realization.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Arrogance
This. Exactly.
Jerry & Stephen are so confidant in their assessment of the roster that they did not see the need to use even 1 late round pick.
J & S are so transparent it's incredible.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Parsons played RB ... Maybe that's what they are going for? Still baffled though. Improving the OLine to boost the running game is good, that box is thoroughly checked in this draft. But... what's going to happen at the RB position. It's certainly not free agency, or the draft, and it seems just as certain that it's not UDFA market either.
LOL, may be Parson will be used as mis direction, but not regular RB. I think they are banking on resigning Zeke for Minimal contract (could be a smoke screen too) but waiting for the cuts from other teams.

dupree89

Reaction score
I told you guys, wait 3 years and Jerry will bring back Pollard and then we're in good shape. Put the league on notice.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

They will pick up someone, some how, some way. Probably after camp cuts.
How nice, old boy.
He'll be a hell of a player because who needs camps, familiarity with the playbook, etc.
He will just step right in and play like a regular McCafferty.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Dowdle, Zeke, Luepke, Freeman, and Vaughn. There's your RB by committee (minus one to be cut).

Most drafted RBs make little difference anyway.
I honestly thought that the group, with Pollard was pretty strong last offseason. Vaughn provides shiftiness, (Yet to be realized, or demoed in the season) Leupke is a dual threat (has to watch the ill-timed fumbles) Dowdle shows some burst in light workloads. Don't want to see Zeke on the roster.

Rookie RB's are frequently at the peak of their short careers, whatever their pedigree, and end up burning out in most cases, at 5 to 6 years.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The only positive is that RB is the easiest position to get production from and find someone decent.

Also, if you have a good OLINE you basically have a decent RB by default. Again, not happy about ur RB situation, but that’s just the honest truth.
What if you have an offensive line you’re planning on starting two rookies, one at center, a position he’s never played before. How “decent” is your “RB”?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
RB was never going to be a concern, theory of OL > RB for this FO was obvious from the draft results.
The proof is in the pudding, let's do it the right way for once and build at least one area of the team that matters the most right now and that was OL.
Finding the right RB now will become more of an invitation to all available RBs.
RBs love stats too ya know.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
In the 2015 we had the worst running back room in recent history but still had a thousand yard rusher with no quarterback because of Tyron, Frederick, and Martin. I think this line is deeper. You can run the football with cast off runners with a sprinkle of CeeDee and Turpin.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Jone Boys: "You want 60mill/year Dak? Fine. We'll give you that but you are going to have to play QB and RB"
Dak, lets see your leadership and elite qb skills. We are going to put it on your back and your going to
carry the team this year. If you succeed, we will pay you $60 million per year. If you fail, you will be
happy with $45 million per year.

TheCritic

Reaction score
26 UDFA running backs have been signed by other teams... None by the Cowboys. I mean.. What is this??? Addition by subtraction... Addition by denial... Addition by ignorance????
No nothing like that. The Cowboys are simply not going to overpay for RBs in the future. The default from this time forward will be RB by committee and on the cheap. They are gambling that a stout OL and passing will be enough to establish balance on offense with average to above average RBs. They realize that you can't have it all. You can't pay top in the league dollar for a QB, pass rusher, WR, CB and the money they will be spending on the OL and not have to go short somewhere. The RB position makes the most sense. Now I will agree that they should have picked up a RB with one of the 3rd round picks. But as long as they can run enough to keep the offense in manageable 3rd down situations, then things will be fine. There's always next year and I do think there will be someone to trade for.