Baker Mayfield

KC10Sooner

Reaction score
Ive seen plenty of mocks that Mayfield isn’t picked in the top 15.

I would imagine a team would trade up and take him in the late teens before us, but should that not happen? What do you do if you are the Cowboys?

Are you totally convinced that Dak is the future?
By all accounts, mayfield impressed the team at the combine.

Just an interesting scenario.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
99.9999999% of the time if some college QB has manzielish type issues hes going to be a horrible NFL quarterback

4th_and_short

Reaction score

I would imagine a team would trade up and take him in the late teens before us, but should that not happen? What do you do if you are the Cowboys?

Mayfield won’t be a long term success either, imo. He’s Manziel 2.0 and he’ll need to go to a serious organization that is going to keep him in check (something the Cowboys aren’t well known for).

I don’t agree with the comparisons to Brees. Brees has elite accuracy which has become his trademark. Mayfield isn’t anywhere close to that imo. He benefited a lot from playing in a conference with weak defenses, having NFL talent all over his team’s roster, and an exceptional running game that teams had to honor which opened up windows for him to throw.

His arm is so/so imo. He’s undersized and he’s a jackass. Those reasons alone I’d pass him up.

Gameover

Reaction score

Pipe scenario. Baker will be gone hours before the Cowboys are on the clock

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
Mayfield won’t be a long term success either, imo. He’s Manziel 2.0 and he’ll need to go to a serious organization that is going to keep him in check (something the Cowboys aren’t well known for).

I don’t agree with the comparisons to Brees. Brees has elite accuracy which has become his trademark. Mayfield isn’t anywhere close to that imo. He benefited a lot from playing in a conference with weak defenses, having NFL talent all over his team’s roster, and an exceptional running game that teams had to honor which opened up windows for him to throw.

His arm is so/so imo. He’s undersized and he’s a jackass. Those reasons alone I’d pass him up.
You are entitled to your opinion about Baker Mayfield. And you may be correct in your assessment. But it will not surprise me in the least to see Baker have a tremendous amount of success in the NFL. He has plenty of arm strength and he has good accuracy. And yes, OU has an exceptional running game, but that's not the only thing that allowed him to have such success at Oklahoma.

As for him being a jackass, that is being blown way out of proportion. The incident at Kansas was unfortunate. Baker should have responded differently than he did. Yet he seems to get all the blame for what happened and nothing could be further from the truth. He was taunted from the coin flip. The Kansas captains refused to shake his hand, for no other reason than to make a statement that they were going to come after him. The unsportsmanship conduct started right there and Baker took the fight to him by cutting them up. He received multiple late hits that were not called. So much so that one of OU's offensive lineman was ejected for fighting, trying to protect Baker. Yet all the media wants to talk about is how he grabbed his crotch. No, he should not have done that, but that doesn't make him a jackass, especially after what had been taking place since the beginning of the game.

The incident in Fayetteville, AR was a bad thing. Baker admitted his mistake and from all indications, has corrected his behavior. Using that to compare him to Johnny Manziel is a lazy comparison. His behavior is nothing like Manziel's and neither is the way he plays football. Manziel used his legs to run and make plays in that manner, instead of using his arm. Baker uses his legs to buy time to make plays with his arm. Yes, he has ran on occasion, but only as a last resort, or as a rare designed run.

Baker Mayfield is as competitive as they come. I'm not advocating that Dallas draft him, but I think whomever does stands a good chance of getting a good QB, at the least, and maybe a great one. That remains to be seen, to be sure.

peaveyman

Reaction score

If you think his arm is so/so then you haven't watched him play much at all. He has plenty of arm strength and his football IQ is off the charts. Yeah, I'm biased probably. But you are just as biased in the other direction it seems like.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
If you think his arm is so/so then you haven't watched him play much at all. He has plenty of arm strength and his football IQ is off the charts. Yeah, I'm biased probably. But you are just as biased in the other direction it seems like.

I watch plenty of college football. More so than the pros, even. I’ve seen Mayfield play plenty of times this past season alone. Season opener (I forget who it was), against Texas, both TCU games, against Georgia. He can chuck the ball downfield, that’s true, but I don’t think his accuracy is that great and his windows won’t be as big at the next level. He got a lot of help from the running game keeping teams honest and having NFL level talent on the outside and Andrews for a security blanket.

He’ll be a solid backup at best for some team when the starter goes down and they need someone to fill in for a few games to stay competitive. Ala Colt McCoy if he doesn’t go Manziel and takes himself out of the League first.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion about Baker Mayfield. And you may be correct in your assessment. But it will not surprise me in the least to see Baker have a tremendous amount of success in the NFL. He has plenty of arm strength and he has good accuracy. And yes, OU has an exceptional running game, but that's not the only thing that allowed him to have such success at Oklahoma.

As for him being a jackass, that is being blown way out of proportion. The incident at Kansas was unfortunate. Baker should have responded differently than he did. Yet he seems to get all the blame for what happened and nothing could be further from the truth. He was taunted from the coin flip. The Kansas captains refused to shake his hand, for no other reason than to make a statement that they were going to come after him. The unsportsmanship conduct started right there and Baker took the fight to him by cutting them up. He received multiple late hits that were not called. So much so that one of OU's offensive lineman was ejected for fighting, trying to protect Baker. Yet all the media wants to talk about is how he grabbed his crotch. No, he should not have done that, but that doesn't make him a jackass, especially after what had been taking place since the beginning of the game.

The incident in Fayetteville, AR was a bad thing. Baker admitted his mistake and from all indications, has corrected his behavior. Using that to compare him to Johnny Manziel is a lazy comparison. His behavior is nothing like Manziel's and neither is the way he plays football. Manziel used his legs to run and make plays in that manner, instead of using his arm. Baker uses his legs to buy time to make plays with his arm. Yes, he has ran on occasion, but only as a last resort, or as a rare designed run.

Baker Mayfield is as competitive as they come. I'm not advocating that Dallas draft him, but I think whomever does stands a good chance of getting a good QB, at the least, and maybe a great one. That remains to be seen, to be sure.

If the team captains for lowly Kansas were able to get into his head, how is he going to react to hostile environments that he’ll see in the NFL? Philly, Boston, NY, Oakland, etc. Is he just going to grab his groin and flip off crowds everywhere he goes? You can try to justify for the kid but the behavior has already been observed and it’s a red flag imo. You can be competitive without stooping to the level of your agitators, otherwise you take away from your performance on the field with your antics.

CODE_BLUE56

Reaction score
Nah. I don't think he's Manziel 2.0(different styles of play, Baker is almost overly competitive on the field, Manziel had more issues off the field), but I don't think he translates that well to the NFL.

As I understand it(limited watching of OU playing), Mayfield doesn't have extensive experience as a dropback passer, and tends to make his living off of longer yardage plays. He's going to have to learn how to play more controlled.

I think he has the tools to be a solid NFL QB, but I think he could easily be a bust as well. Player development isn't an exact science. But I wouldn't take him.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
Nah. I don't think he's Manziel 2.0(different styles of play, Baker is almost overly competitive on the field, Manziel had more issues off the field), but I don't think he translates that well to the NFL.

As I understand it(limited watching of OU playing), Mayfield doesn't have extensive experience as a dropback passer, and tends to make his living off of longer yardage plays. He's going to have to learn how to play more controlled.

I think he has the tools to be a solid NFL QB, but I think he could easily be a bust as well. Player development isn't an exact science. But I wouldn't take him.

His legs would get him out of trouble and he can hit his receivers breaking off routes in scramble drills. The guy is a competitor, no doubt. I just think he’s a hot head and that his ceiling is already reached. Against tougher defenses his numbers don’t look so astronomical.

KC10Sooner

Reaction score
His legs would get him out of trouble and he can hit his receivers breaking off routes in scramble drills. The guy is a competitor, no doubt. I just think he’s a hot head and that his ceiling is already reached. Against tougher defenses his numbers don’t look so astronomical.

He had a pretty decent night against all world defense in Ohio St and Georgia.

Phillip Rivers and Tom Brady are clearly hot heads and have both done very well in the league.

I get the concern. Every QB coming out of college has doubts. Baker is a leader and competitor with above average QB skill.

kskboys

Reaction score
I believe he'll succeed. And I don't say that easily.

Mayfield doesn't belong in the same book as Manziel.