Baldinger: Help LG Connor Williams early and often

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
3) DALLAS COWBOYS: Help LG Connor Williams early and often.

Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott are the toast of the newly minted NFL season, and rightfully so. But if Moore and Prescott are looking at their dynamic offense truthfully right now, the pair realizes there is an area that needs addressing, because everyone knows a team is only as strong as its weakest link. Second-year left guard Connor Williams does a lot of really good things and has steadily improved over two seasons, but in the NFC, he could face the likes of Aaron Donald, DeForest Buckner, Fletcher Cox and Akiem Hicks in playoff matchups. And let's face it: The Cowboys' goal is the Super Bowl, and the better the competition gets, the more mistakes get magnified.

Last week, Williams was flagged for a hold and a false start. I saw poor pass sets lead to a sack by Daron Payne, and Williams was beaten on the play where Prescott threw his only INT of the season. Williams is young and talented, so I don't think a position change is imminent. But he must improve -- and Moore must keep the left guard in mind when it comes to his formations and play calls. I saw Moore give Williams some help vs. the Commanders in Week 2, when Jason Witten hovered around the guard before running his pass route, and when the Cowboys used play-action to slow down the pass rush, and when Ezekiel Elliott hesitated at the line before he checked out into his pattern.

These were all positive signs, but getting Williams help earlier is the key. Moore can't wait until the Cowboys give up the lead or commit a turnover.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...three-other-nfl-teams-can-be-better-in-week-3

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3) DALLAS COWBOYS: Help LG Connor Williams early and often.

Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott are the toast of the newly minted NFL season, and rightfully so. But if Moore and Prescott are looking at their dynamic offense truthfully right now, the pair realizes there is an area that needs addressing, because everyone knows a team is only as strong as its weakest link. Second-year left guard Connor Williams does a lot of really good things and has steadily improved over two seasons, but in the NFC, he could face the likes of Aaron Donald, DeForest Buckner, Fletcher Cox and Akiem Hicks in playoff matchups. And let's face it: The Cowboys' goal is the Super Bowl, and the better the competition gets, the more mistakes get magnified.

Last week, Williams was flagged for a hold and a false start. I saw poor pass sets lead to a sack by Daron Payne, and Williams was beaten on the play where Prescott threw his only INT of the season. Williams is young and talented, so I don't think a position change is imminent. But he must improve -- and Moore must keep the left guard in mind when it comes to his formations and play calls. I saw Moore give Williams some help vs. the Commanders in Week 2, when Jason Witten hovered around the guard before running his pass route, and when the Cowboys used play-action to slow down the pass rush, and when Ezekiel Elliott hesitated at the line before he checked out into his pattern.

These were all positive signs, but getting Williams help earlier is the key. Moore can't wait until the Cowboys give up the lead or commit a turnover.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...three-other-nfl-teams-can-be-better-in-week-3

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams is talented and has upside. But if he doesn’t show more improvement by mid-season, I would consider bringing in Xavier Sua’filo to see if he’s an upgrade. Connor Williams probably wouldn’t have a leash this long if he wasn’t a second round pick.

I’m not at all suggesting he’s a bust or that he should be cut. But I am saying that if he doesn’t improve he shouldn’t be starting.

starfan1

Reaction score
Williams is talented and has upside. But if he doesn’t show more improvement by mid-season, I would consider bringing in Xavier Sua’filo to see if he’s an upgrade. Connor Williams probably wouldn’t have a leash this long if he wasn’t a second round pick.

I’m not at all suggesting he’s a bust or that he should be cut. But I am saying that if he doesn’t improve he shouldn’t be starting.
well thing is im nots sure xavier is an upgrade

HungryLion

Reaction score

Sua’filo hasn’t shown himself to be any better.

Hdsportsfan

Reaction score
Williams still needs to get stronger. He has put on some bulk since last year but he's not there yet. I'm not sure XFS is that much of an upgrade either. Certainly has value and why he is on the team, but not necessarily an upgrade. If he was he'd be out there.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Williams is an improving player— but he is the softest point to attack on a strong line. He is going to be the focus of schemes, games, twists, and stunts until he shores himself up.

Tough medicine— but I think the kid has the makeup to handle the pressure and get stronger and better.

Giving him some help until he gets better will help his confidence— not to mention Prescott’s health lol

Swanny

Reaction score

Give me Looney!!!

Tussinman

Reaction score
I've actually dialed in on him the first two games and he's struggling. A good chunk of the plays in pass protection in which he doesn't have a Frederick help/chip he's either getting straight up bull-rushed or beat immediately off the line.

Depending on the weekly DT match-up I wouldn't be surprised to see more help from Frederick

Sorry guys but I have been spoiled by our instant starting dominant O-Linemen. I don’t like this whole give him time stuff. I want dominant and I want it now..
Normally I would be more patient but reality is they have spent both a 2nd and 3rd round on LG.

There's no excuse to spend 2 quality draft picks and still get subpar play

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
The best part of the write-up is KM having help built-in to the plays already for the LG...not a OT but a LG...can we get Coach Moore a raise?

When talking about Connor you have to realize this guy only 22 y.o. playing vs grown men strength having mofo Joe's. Also, #52 is a position change draftee, so yeah...give him a little more time, imo.

McGovern has missed a golden opportunity to just get better, and get experience. Heck, Brandon Knight might be further along by now.