Baldinger: Help LG Connor Williams early and often

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Normally I would be more patient but reality is they have spent both a 2nd and 3rd round on LG.

There's no excuse to spend 2 quality draft picks and still get subpar play

It's not really fair to talk about McGovern in this context since he is injured.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's not really fair to talk about McGovern in this context since he is injured.
It is in a way that we spent a premium pick.

We know they "looooove Connor".

But with Collins wrapped up, so he basically is a LG challenger for William's next year.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Glad those without the emotion are seeing the Teflon Con for what he is so far. Just hope he doesn't get Dak killed back there.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is in a way that we spent a premium pick.

We know they "looooove Connor".

But with Collins wrapped up, so he basically is a LG challenger for William's next year.

A premium pick is no more able to play with some injuries than a 6th round pick. If a player can't play, draft status is irrelevant other than it just being more disappointing. It really doesn't make sense to say injury isn't a valid excuse for not being on the field helping to upgrade the position.

Once he is healthy, if he doesn't develop into someone that can help, then this will be a valid criticism.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams is talented and has upside. But if he doesn’t show more improvement by mid-season, I would consider bringing in Xavier Sua’filo to see if he’s an upgrade. Connor Williams probably wouldn’t have a leash this long if he wasn’t a second round pick.

I’m not at all suggesting he’s a bust or that he should be cut. But I am saying that if he doesn’t improve he shouldn’t be starting.
Lol!!! Taco was a first rounder and he had no leash!!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3) DALLAS COWBOYS: Help LG Connor Williams early and often.

Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott are the toast of the newly minted NFL season, and rightfully so. But if Moore and Prescott are looking at their dynamic offense truthfully right now, the pair realizes there is an area that needs addressing, because everyone knows a team is only as strong as its weakest link. Second-year left guard Connor Williams does a lot of really good things and has steadily improved over two seasons, but in the NFC, he could face the likes of Aaron Donald, DeForest Buckner, Fletcher Cox and Akiem Hicks in playoff matchups. And let's face it: The Cowboys' goal is the Super Bowl, and the better the competition gets, the more mistakes get magnified.

Last week, Williams was flagged for a hold and a false start. I saw poor pass sets lead to a sack by Daron Payne, and Williams was beaten on the play where Prescott threw his only INT of the season. Williams is young and talented, so I don't think a position change is imminent. But he must improve -- and Moore must keep the left guard in mind when it comes to his formations and play calls. I saw Moore give Williams some help vs. the Commanders in Week 2, when Jason Witten hovered around the guard before running his pass route, and when the Cowboys used play-action to slow down the pass rush, and when Ezekiel Elliott hesitated at the line before he checked out into his pattern.

These were all positive signs, but getting Williams help earlier is the key. Moore can't wait until the Cowboys give up the lead or commit a turnover.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...three-other-nfl-teams-can-be-better-in-week-3
He's full of crap!! He just has to find something. Look around the league, this kid would start on most teams. Stop drinking the hate juice.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When talking about Connor you have to realize this guy only 22 y.o. playing vs grown men strength having mofo Joe's.
This.

None of our oline stars waltzing into the HOF made a pro bowl until they were at least 23. Smith had his own struggles when he was 21 and 22.

Williams improved over last season. He got bigger in the offseason. He'll probably improve over this season. People need to relax until the arrow no longer points up.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Who is the patriots guards? I’m tired of this bs of having all pro at every position. Put Connor on Pats last year do they still beat the Rams? I say yes. Enough excuses

fansince68

Reaction score
Williams is talented and has upside. But if he doesn’t show more improvement by mid-season, I would consider bringing in Xavier Sua’filo to see if he’s an upgrade. Connor Williams probably wouldn’t have a leash this long if he wasn’t a second round pick.

I’m not at all suggesting he’s a bust or that he should be cut. But I am saying that if he doesn’t improve he shouldn’t be starting.
I was at the Commanders game. C Williams and A Woods played poorly. The obvious reasons for Williams as mentioned. Woods was ineffective and he looked gassed in the 1st quarter. There was no push up the middle and he was frequently in a stalemate with the center. I think Collins could be a beast if Woods could get more push up the middle instead of shaking hands every play with the center.

JBond

Reaction score
Sua filo has shown more push in the run game, Williams is a better pass protector...
I believe Williams will be a tackle in a season or two. He has good feet and moves well. Hopefully he will gain additional power.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I was at the Commanders game. C Williams and A Woods played poorly. The obvious reasons for Williams as mentioned. Woods was ineffective and he looked gassed in the 1st quarter. There was no push up the middle and he was frequently in a stalemate with the center. I think Collins could be a beast if Woods could get more push up the middle instead of shaking hands every play with the center.

Been pinning for a 1-Tech for over a decade...

CB61

Reaction score

I think he's on a shorter leash than everybody believes Colombo is no dummy we will have him out of there if he doesn't perform consistently or gets worse

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
3) DALLAS COWBOYS: Help LG Connor Williams early and often.

Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott are the toast of the newly minted NFL season, and rightfully so. But if Moore and Prescott are looking at their dynamic offense truthfully right now, the pair realizes there is an area that needs addressing, because everyone knows a team is only as strong as its weakest link. Second-year left guard Connor Williams does a lot of really good things and has steadily improved over two seasons, but in the NFC, he could face the likes of Aaron Donald, DeForest Buckner, Fletcher Cox and Akiem Hicks in playoff matchups. And let's face it: The Cowboys' goal is the Super Bowl, and the better the competition gets, the more mistakes get magnified.

Last week, Williams was flagged for a hold and a false start. I saw poor pass sets lead to a sack by Daron Payne, and Williams was beaten on the play where Prescott threw his only INT of the season. Williams is young and talented, so I don't think a position change is imminent. But he must improve -- and Moore must keep the left guard in mind when it comes to his formations and play calls. I saw Moore give Williams some help vs. the Commanders in Week 2, when Jason Witten hovered around the guard before running his pass route, and when the Cowboys used play-action to slow down the pass rush, and when Ezekiel Elliott hesitated at the line before he checked out into his pattern.

These were all positive signs, but getting Williams help earlier is the key. Moore can't wait until the Cowboys give up the lead or commit a turnover.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...three-other-nfl-teams-can-be-better-in-week-3
The referees are calling more holding plays this season than ever before they discuss this in last night's game against the Jaguars and Titans. His long as they're consistent I have no problem with it. Green Bay gets away with it more than any of the team in the league and I'm tired of it

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

He's already improved and he will continue to improve.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Been pinning for a 1-Tech for over a decade...

Woods sprained his mcl early in the 2nd qtr. (11:15) He didn't play after that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
After reviewing a good chunk of the Commanders game again, I am convinced he has the potential to become the new forum whipping boy.

He did not have a good game.

He is literally asking "WHAT IS IT" in terms of the count at the end of the 3rd Q.

I will be watching.

giphy.gif

fansince68

Reaction score
Woods sprained his mcl early in the 2nd qtr. (11:15) He didn't play after that.
I'm aware of the injury. He played poorly prior to the injury. I was studying Collins but Woods stood out because of his gross ineffectiveness. Once I got back home, I reviewed the game and confirmed Woods ineffectiveness. I really think its conditioning. But shame on him for not being conditioned.