Twitter: Baldinger: Receivers are running straight to defenders

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I would add that Elliott needs to clean up his mess too.
127 rushing yards is great. But it doesn't cover up the red zone fumble, the TD brought back because he stepped out and instead of blocking normal, he dives for legs and gets jumped over leaving Prescott exposed. Clean that up and we win the game and Elliott is player of the week.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I would add that Elliott needs to clean up his mess too.
127 rushing yards is great. But it doesn't cover up the red zone fumble, the TD brought back because he stepped out and instead of blocking normal, he dives for legs and gets jumped over leaving Prescott exposed. Clean that up and we win the game and Elliott is player of the week.
Zeke made mistakes for sure, but there is a bright spot. We are finally getting him more involved in the passing game. Zeke dropped a couple of open passes that would have gotten good yardage and of course the step out of bounds. He made mistakes, but I'm not gonna hammer him, the plays were there to be made. I just hope we keep getting him more involved, there are plays there. He's not used to being involved as much as they are starting to show, keep practicing and keep drilling it. He can be that valuable dual threat RB, just practice, practice, practice.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
BTW, the term has been used at least since the 90's. It simply means if a WR is crowded by a DB, throw the ball to the opposite side of the receiver awsy from the defender. It is what quality NFL QB's do. It is hard to understand for some since we don't get to see it since 2014.

That is not how I understand that term. What your saying is correct. You do throw it to the other side where there are less defenders. But the term "throw a receiver open " seems to imply throw it anyways to get the receivers open EVEN though there are defenders around him.

What your implying here is the normal term of "throw to the open receiver" which is what every QB in the NFL does, including Dak. Thus my argument is you can't throw a receiver open. You have to throw to an open receiver.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Yet, the play seems to work?
Ok, and soooo, where's the variant? Where is that creativeness to set a defense up with that "look" and do something totally opposite? If you know, and hell vanilla queen and clapper maybe a lot of things, but they aint deaf, it's not like ALOT of media and others have stated this team is PREDICATBLE! Then friggn change it! But yet, have we? I'll say no, because using RPO 4 plays in a game, then going back to being that predictable team, AINT change, that's just stubborn *** arrogance that your actually going to fool them this time with your raggity play calling. I'm sorry, but Akoye I think it's called, showed a good 75 80% of our passing downs, and by the 2nd one, I already knew what was being ran and I am NO NFL scout or coach. Once again Garrett and his dribble minded OC got schooled on the field by what we all know is not a very good team at all. And yet, we hear there is no panic in big D...

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It is as Zeke said an issue of scoring enough and getting enough 1st downs so he gets carries at all.
The abundance of 1st down runs are fairly ineffective and get us behind the sticks.
That usually leads us to try again and we end up these 3rd downs we can;t pick up.
When things suck they just suck and this has been the 2018 offense thus far.

I'd be coming out with read option RPO that audibles to deep passes on 1st down.
In that sense I can have Dak carry it, hand it to Zeke or throw deep.

I'd be using RPO all game if it was me. That was what Dak is comfortable with and its our best attack. Secondly, on first down, we just hand off straight up the middle most of the time. The defense is never caught of guard and knows that its coming. Our predictability on offense is what is killing us and it drives me crazy why Garrett and Linehan hasn't done a thing to change it up.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Zeke made mistakes for sure, but there is a bright spot. We are finally getting him more involved in the passing game. Zeke dropped a couple of open passes that would have gotten good yardage and of course the step out of bounds. He made mistakes, but I'm not gonna hammer him, the plays were there to be made. I just hope we keep getting him more involved, there are plays there. He's not used to being involved as much as they are starting to show, keep practicing and keep drilling it. He can be that valuable dual threat RB, just practice, practice, practice.
I don't wanna pile on Elliott, he just had a bad game. But no one was good on offense.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
That is not how I understand that term. What your saying is correct. You do throw it to the other side where there are less defenders. But the term "throw a receiver open " seems to imply throw it anyways to get the receivers open EVEN though there are defenders around him.

What your implying here is the normal term of "throw to the open receiver" which is what every QB in the NFL does, including Dak. Thus my argument is you can't throw a receiver open. You have to throw to an open receiver.
No what you are saying is not what I am saying. The term is correct. If a receiver is running a slant route for instance and a normal throw out ahead of him would result in him getting blown up or the pass defended, he is NOT open. However, throwing it slightly behind him so he has to slow down or even stop and make the catch on his other back shoulder, in this case, is throwing him open.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yet, the play seems to work?
We've had a couple big gainers from it and we've had a couple of big losses from it and a lot in between. In the past, it was becoming predictable and the success was getting limited. They just have to make sure that it doesn't become predictable and they can run other plays from that formation.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
No what you are saying is not what I am saying. The term is correct. If a receiver is running a slant route for instance and a normal throw out ahead of him would result in him getting blown up or the pass defended, he is NOT open. However, throwing it slightly behind him so he has to slow down or even stop and make the catch on his other back shoulder, in this case, is throwing him open.

Ok got you. However, what I'm seeing is Dak is doing exactly that with some of his passes. Receivers are not open and throws it where they can catch it away from the defender. Sure he misses some of them. However, why are we having receivers run straight in the defense? Why our the receivers hardly open? Other teams seem to have no problem whatsoever getting their receivers open. Why can't us?

As for Witten, he is mostly open. Yes Romo does throw it to where only Witten can catch it. However, we have to credit that to Witten to for his ability to get open and he uses his body to shield the defender away from the ball. We don't have that luxury anymore. Thus the coaches need to come up with schemes to get receivers open.