Twitter: Baldinger: Receivers are running straight to defenders

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If your quarterback refuses to throw downfield passes...ties the hands of the coaches and kills the scheme.

Look I’m fine with changing coaches but the QB’s limitations will just get forwarded on to the next OC.
Slant pattern..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is extensive film breakdown on our routes and Dak’s opportunities. Check Akoye Media Cowboys on YouTube. They aren’t running routes like Baldy says. Guys are getting open.

I can assure you...Baldinger as a former lineman...with too many concussions...doesn’t know squat.

I flushed an entity that had more knowledge than Akoye...

The Akoye guy takes fan narratives and fits his "analysis" to fuel the narratives even further.

Fans believe Dak is the problem; therefore, Akoye makes videos that cause fans to feel that their opinions are correct. That is his formula for getting views.

Most of the time he is wrong.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I flushed an entity that had more knowledge than Akoye...

The Akoye guy takes fan narratives and fits his "analysis" to fuel the narratives even further.

Fans believe Dak is the problem; therefore, Akoye makes videos that cause fans to feel that their opinions are correct. That is his formula for getting views.

Most of the time he is wrong.

Was he the one that coined the term "throw a receiver open"? Of all my life of playing and watching football I've never heard of term before. Even some posters here fell for it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Curls and go routes. Lol what's new.

Meanwhile, Zeke stays in to block - at least have him circle out of the backfield - so there's nowhere to throw it. Bringing in another QB to run that peewee football scheme will produce similar results.

If we wanna draft/sign a QB to compete with Dak next season that's cool. But get them a coach who can put together a 21st century NFL offense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Talk about a lazy analysis. There is a clear reason why Zeke is running less. We can’t pass, we can’t convert third downs, we can extend drives. Zeke would have a lot more runs if we had a successful passing game.

As for my misdirection comment, perhaps I misspoke. What I really meant was smoke and mirrors. We have to be good at the basics, else all the trickery is worth very little.

As for the routes, yeah, whatever. The coaches aren’t complete idiots which is what your stance would have people believe. I have a hard hard time believeing that some random fan could break down film and somehow outwit a high school coach, much less anyone in the nfl. So that sort of analysis isn’t even worth consideration. It’s really not.

And you can say call more or these or those kind of patterns. Fine. But dak needs to be able to run the entire playbook at any given time. I don’t think he can do that and it’s a problem.
A lot of people on these boards are misled by fake twitter or facebook or youtube experts I will grant but many here have also broken down game and practice tape with actual proven coaches at college or other levels.
I have.

The reason we are going to have a bit of a struggle with anything right now is we can't block the edges due to fairly poor TE blocking and well below poor outside Swain. Part of the reason read option is working is we don't bother, we read the edge guy and thus the guy we can;t block is accounted for.

I will say to my naked eye play action has been atrocious but statistical analysis actually suggests we run it far too little.... Statistical analysis is usually right.

Common sense dictates Dak holds the ball longer because he doesn't trust his WRs. He is turnover averse and after Sunday I can't blame him. Just letting it rip didn't turn out so well.

It is up to Dak and a couple more of these WRs not named Beasley to get put int he work to get on the same page.
But it is also on these coaches to call the plays that have worked.

Collegiate offensive stuff permeates the NFL, it is just slow adopting it but it gets there and we see scores every week that come straight from collegiate playbooks. The Foles and Mayfield QB throwback for TD play actually came from Texas High School where Foles went and was Baker's biggest rival team. It was ran at WVU, OU and Tech amongst other schools before the NFL.
The Tavon Austin jet sweet TD he ran about 50 times at WVU.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Was he the one that coined the term "throw a receiver open"? Of all my life of playing and watching football I've never heard of term before. Even some posters here fell for it.
You mean the term Jason Witten used in the Monday night game 4 or 5 times?

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
BTW, the term has been used at least since the 90's. It simply means if a WR is crowded by a DB, throw the ball to the opposite side of the receiver awsy from the defender. It is what quality NFL QB's do. It is hard to understand for some since we don't get to see it since 2014.

Sydla

Reaction score
Our offense is like a cake........... many ingredients go into what comes out of the oven. In our case, the ingredients in this crap cake of an offense are:

- 2 cups of bad QB play
- 2 cups of mediocre coaching
- 1 cup sour WRs
- 2 cups crappy TEs
- 1 tablespoon inconsistent OL play

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Our offense is like a cake........... many ingredients go into what comes out of the oven. In our case, the ingredients in this crap cake of an offense are:

- 2 cups of bad QB play
- 1 cup sour WRs
- 2 cups crappy TEs
You forgot baked in a low heat oven lol.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I will say to my naked eye play action has been atrocious but statistical analysis actually suggests we run it far too little.

If memory serves, Zeke's best runs this season have come later in games, sure the other team can back off the line if the Cowboys are behind, but the defense has kept the games close, score-wise, so that shouldn't be an issue. After the team has pounded the defense for a half, they have to be at least a bit tired. Keep hitting the line with Zeke, and you'll see like happened against the Steelers a couple of years ago - the holes will be there and Zeke can rip off a 50 yard td run...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If memory serves, Zeke's best runs this season have come later in games, sure the other team can back off the line if the Cowboys are behind, but the defense has kept the games close, score-wise, so that shouldn't be an issue. After the team has pounded the defense for a half, they have to be at least a bit tired. Keep hitting the line with Zeke, and you'll see like happened against the Steelers a couple of years ago - the holes will be there and Zeke can rip off a 50 yard td run...
It is as Zeke said an issue of scoring enough and getting enough 1st downs so he gets carries at all.
The abundance of 1st down runs are fairly ineffective and get us behind the sticks.
That usually leads us to try again and we end up these 3rd downs we can;t pick up.
When things suck they just suck and this has been the 2018 offense thus far.

I'd be coming out with read option RPO that audibles to deep passes on 1st down.
In that sense I can have Dak carry it, hand it to Zeke or throw deep.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

- 2 cups of bad QB play
- 1 cup sour WRs
- 2 cups crappy TEs
:hammer:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It is as Zeke said an issue of scoring enough and getting enough 1st downs so he gets carries at all.
The abundance of 1st down runs are fairly ineffective and get us behind the sticks.
That usually leads us to try again and we end up these 3rd downs we can;t pick up.
When things suck they just suck and this has been the 2018 offense thus far.

I'd be coming out with read option RPO that audibles to deep passes on 1st down.
In that sense I can have Dak carry it, hand it to Zeke or throw deep.

And what do we see? Look at the Seattle game - middle first quarter, first and 10, Zeke goes for 7 yards. Next play? Run by Austin. He got 18 yards, but why not run Zeke for the first? Landry was certainly successful, his philosophy was if you have 2nd and short, just get the first down, keep the defense on the field, and have a first down so you don't HAVE to throw, all your options are open.

How many screens have we seen? How many flea flickers? Emmitt on many occasions would line up on play action, make a pretend block and go straight through the line for about 5 yards, turn around and catch a pass, got at least 5 yards, and usually more. Haven't seen that play since Emmitt left.

This vanilla offense is the pits...

kskboys

Reaction score
One thing we always lacked since JG took over as OC is a chain moving mentality. It got a little better after Kitna showed us how to do it. He was not great, but it was refreshing having fewer 2nd/3rd and 10.

And then 14 came. We ran the hades out of Murray, and it worked. I think JG is still a but befuddled as to why it worked. Why? Because this O still goes passpasspass at the strangest times. It's like we hate to run the ball, and don't believe in the run, so at key times we go away from it.

So, IMO, the routes are not designed to move the chains. And I think that is the problem. W/o those chain moving routes, the QB has to hold onto the ball too long.

HungryLion

Reaction score
LOL.

People are just hell bent on digging in and protecting their guy whether that be Dak or Garrett. The reality is what we see offensively is a mix of all of it.

The thing is. I am not mad at Dak. If Dak sucks, he sucks, and we need to find a replacement. That’s fine. But I hold no negative feelings towards him, beyond that.

Garret I can’t stand anymore. I want him fired so badly. The only reason he is the head coach in the first place is due to nepotism and he has been mediocre for 8 years. He has been throwing everyone else under the bus, positions coaches and coordinators. To save his own hide.

I can’t wait for him to finally get canned.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The thing is. I am not mad at Dak. If Dak sucks, he sucks, and we need to find a replacement. That’s fine. But I hold no negative feelings towards him, beyond that.

Garret I can’t stand anymore. I want him fired so badly. The only reason he is the head coach in the first place is due to nepotism and he has been mediocre for 8 years. He has been throwing everyone else under the bus, positions coaches and coordinators. To save his own hide.

You probably shouldn't expect that any time soon...

kskboys

Reaction score

Dak isn't playing well. However, no final judgment can be made re Dak until he gets under a real O coach. This clustermess makes it hard to judge anyone on O.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It can't all be the coaches fault - Linehan was the OC at Detroit from 2009-13. His last 3 years, Stafford threw for 5,038, 4,967 and 4,650 yards, with 41 tds in 2011. He had Johnson in that year, who had 16 tds, but that still leaves 25 tds for other receivers. So he all of a sudden forgot how to coach the passing game?

Dak should be better than he is, with Linehan having at least some track record of success throwing the ball. And that goes back to Garrett..