Twitter: Baldinger: Receivers are running straight to defenders

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I understand that but when you are trying to compare, you have to account for possibly one of the more precise route runners ever and, one of the best olines and one of the best RB's on his team, then at least it should be closer than 4% to claim he was more accurate than Romo. Aikman also average 1 YPA less than Romo and .7 YPC less
I think you're discounting the effects the rule changes have been. 9 of the top 10 rated QBs of all time, all play in the current era and it's not because they are better QBs. The goalposts have been moved.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wrong. Aikman was more accurate when it mattered. He's considered one of the most accurate passers in POST SEASON HISTORY! Something Tony couldn't do because he wasn't accurate in Game 16s many years. Forget the oline and running game, Troy played in an era where there was press coverage and mauling of receivers every play. The game Romo played where it was soft zone and patty cake with WRs isn't even the same.

http://www.profootballhof.com/players/troy-aikman/highlights/

Super Bowl Records

[1st] Highest Completion Percentage, Career - 70.0
[2nd] Lowest Percentage, Passes Intercepted, Career - 1.25
[Tied for 2nd] Most Consecutive Completions, Game - 10 (SB XXX, vs. Pittsburgh)
[Tied for 3rd] Most Touchdown Passes, Game - 4 (SB XXVII, vs. Buffalo)

Post-Season Records

[2nd] Longest Pass Completion - 94 (to Alvin Harper, vs. Green Bay, 1994)
[3rd] Highest Completion Percentage, Career - 63.8
[Tied for 3rd] Most Games, 300 or More Yards Passing, Career - 4
[Tied for 3rd] Most Consecutive Games, 300 or More Yards Passing - 2 (1994)
[Tied for 3rd] Most Touchdown Passes, Game - 4 (SB XXVII, vs. Buffalo)

I'd also take Aikman and throw him into Romo's era where you passed 40 times a games with limp defense.

And I'm a Romo fan too. The arguments are just lame
Aikman also played with the best collection of talent ever in 1992 and 1993.
This scheme we run now is the same we ran then.

If we had Antonio Brown and Gronk then this scheme would be great for Dak at QB too.....

Romo had far less success against good teams because we had less talent then them.

Aikman played 1 team a season with similar talent in San Fran in 92 and 93. 94 and 95 there might have been 3 or 4 teams as good.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's an option, he had plenty of time to make the throw.
No, he didn't. Not as described by the dufus video review.

The fake handoff is at waist level, ball has to be raised and fired at a WR in a tight window for a 3 yard gain with 2 guys converging on a 175 pound WR?
That would be a stupid, stupid throw. High risk, low reward.
Dak made the right call to keep the ball, and the right call in having Beasley clear the LB area for the throw.
His brain was zero issue there. That as exactly how the play was designed to be executed.
The throw not being 100% accurate WAS AN ISSUE.
Had he hit Beasley in stride it's is a solid gain and Beasley runs out of bounds after the 1st down.

But people are largely too football stupid to break down videos like this and maintain any credibility whatsoever.
They forget basic facts like players moving together in the same direction cover more ground than it appears and often more ground then the ball does.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
No, he didn't. Not as described by the dufus video review.

The fake handoff is at waist level, ball has to be raised and fired at a WR in a tight window for a 3 yard gain with 2 guys converging on a 175 pound WR?
That would be a stupid, stupid throw. High risk, low reward.
Dak made the right call to keep the ball, and the right call in having Beasley clear the LB area for the throw.
His brain was zero issue there. That as exactly how the play was designed to be executed.
The throw not being 100% accurate WAS AN ISSUE.
Had he hit Beasley in stride it's is a solid gain and Beasley runs out of bounds after the 1st down.

But people are largely too football stupid to break down videos like this and maintain any credibility whatsoever.
They forget basic facts like players moving together in the same direction cover more ground than it appears and often more ground then the ball does.

This is seconds after the fake. Dak's feet are set. Tell me he can't make that throw. 11 has all the room for YAC.

Capture.png

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is seconds after the fake. Tell me he can't make that throw. 11 has all the room for YAC.

Capture.png
please stop posting nonsense.
dak hit Gallup in stride and jarwin in the shoulder pad and they were both picked on over the middle throws like this.
suggesting we hit beasley on a quick drag between a safety and linebacker is frankly shockingly dumb.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think you're discounting the effects the rule changes have been. 9 of the top 10 rated QBs of all time, all play in the current era and it's not because they are better QBs. The goalposts have been moved.
4% is a fair discount when looking at the leaders % in the different eras

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If I get to choose Jimmy Johnson over Garrett, I choose Johnson. I choose Aikmans Oline and Emmitt Smith too. I'll take any of his defenses as well.
I'd choose Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant, Terry Glenn and Jason Witten over Irving and Novacek any day, and 4 times on Sunday. BTW, several teams have won the Super Bowl with 27th or worse defenses. Romo is/was a regular season hero.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
dak hit Gallup in stride and jarwin in the shoulder pad and they were both picked on over the middle throws like this.
suggesting we hit beasley on a quick drag between a safety and linebacker is frankly shockingly dumb.

Lol, the LB isn't near 11 cause he bit on the fake. You have that throw all day.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hurns had a great 2015 with over 1,000 yards receiving and 10 tds. So apparently Bortles could get him the ball and Hurns did something with it. I wish we could have Drew Brees for just 1 game so that we would all see what a real QB looks like running this offense.
Brees had an entire offense designed by Sean Payton specifically for him.
Brees had been up and down in San Diego. His last season there he had 24 TD passes but 15 INTS and 8 fumbles!
But Payton took the things he does well, the spread, the quick passes and added vertical elements
Payton has already said he will again mold the next offense around the new QB, presumably Bridgewater.

Hurns didn't reach 500 yards in either 2016 or 2017.
He was and is not a good starting WR.
He is definitely not ANYONE's lead WR.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lol, the LB isn't near 11 cause he bit on the fake. You have that throw all day.
Again this is called football stupid.
The LB played that perfectly. He flowed with the ball and recovered. Cole ran into to him then past him.
Kendricks the LB has seen us run that play a hundred times since he is from our division.
He did his job exactly right.

And again, no you don't throw that to a small WR in that spot.
You wait until he clears the LB's then throw it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
4% is a fair discount when looking at the leaders % in the different eras
Yeah, Steve Young is widely recognized as one of the most accurate QBs ever and he also had not one but two All Time Top 5 WRs, led the league in completion% 5 or 6 times, his season high was 70%. Brees in the current era has a high of 80%

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
This is seconds after the fake. Dak's feet are set. Tell me he can't make that throw. 11 has all the room for YAC.

Capture.png
looking at that still, Wagner is spying Dak and if he throws to Beasley, Bobby is gonna light him up. It looks like Dak is waiting for the outside WR to break.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Again this is called football stupid.
The LB played that perfectly. He flowed with the ball and recovered. Cole ran into to him then past him.
Kendricks the LB has seen us run that play a hundred times since he is from our division.
He did his job exactly right.

And again, no you don't throw that to a small WR in that spot.
You wait until he clears the LB's then throw it.

I think you're wrong, but I can see you're committed to it, so more power to you.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
fwiw the play design is not to move the LB to the left.
the design is to freeze the backers so they don't get depth.
it a staple play in this offense.
we run it often.
the play is still timing based and meant to be completed after the drag clears the middle of the field.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You're wrong, but I can see you're committed to it, so more power to you.

look at both videos and where beasley is running in each....
this isn't hard.
one is a quick slant and the other is a drag.
in that panthers clip the Safety isn't sitting 7 yards off the ball ready to gobble up a slant. beasley has him beat off the LOS and is past him. .

you might also notice even though the LB in the panthers clip gets actually blocked by Martin he STILL got back to tackle Beasley.
look how much ground is covered and you will see the thought they should have hit beasley quick is a fantasy. he would have been decapitated.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Notice there are 10 guys within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage with a single safety high.

They have no fear of our passing game..............NONE

This offense should feel totally disrespected the way defenses are playing them
At some point you gotta scrap timing crap and just say run it then throw deep. forget middle ground stuff til they back off.
The common damnation of this offense has been needing all 11 guys to be good on every snap.
Any one thing being off blows it up.
Then the ability to overcome any negative play is minimal because design is all based on timing not distance.
1 WR with any experience w the QB and no TE's with pass receiving experience is simply not a way to try to out-execute people.

Guys need to be schemed open.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
look at both videos and where beasley is running in each....
this isn't hard.
one is a quick slant and the other is a drag.
in that panthers clip the Safety isn't sitting 7 yards off the ball ready to gobble up a slant. beasley has him beat off the LOS and is past him. .

you might also notice even though the LB in the panthers clip gets actually blocked by Martin he STILL got back to tackle Beasley.
look how much ground is covered and you will see the thought they should have hit beasley quick is a fantasy. he would have been decapitated.
btw Beasley caught the slant versus the panthers at 6-7 yards off the ball... i.e. EXACTLY where the SEA safety was standing.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
At some point you gotta scrap timing crap and just say run it then throw deep. forget middle ground stuff til they back off.
The common damnation of this offense has been needing all 11 guys to be good on every snap.
Any one thing being off blows it up.
Then the ability to overcome any negative play is minimal because design is all based on timing not distance.
1 WR with any experience w the QB and no TE's with pass receiving experience is simply not a way to try to out-execute people.

Guys need to be schemed open.

Good point...............problem is that this Crayola offense is not going to scheme anybody open.

Seriously, my 8 yr old daughter could draw up better plays than what we are running, its just embarrassing how simple we are.