Baldy's breakdown if dline against rams

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Painful to watch. The DTs played with no gap discipline. I don't know what the LBs are doing, getting washed out on every play. Very poor performance by the front 7. They left their technique and preparation on the bus.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys LBs had their worst game all season. Even worse than the Colts game. What is disturbing is how easily the Rams took the DTs out of their gaps with one on one blocking allowing a free offensive lineman to get out and block the LBs. The Rams TEs and WRs all blocked effectively. This is where the Cowboys miss Witten and Dez. Both were good blockers in the run game.

Anyone with more knowledge of want to opine if this is a technique issue or strength? It just seems like the Cowboys get pushed around more than they should whether its offensive or defensive line.

But I posted before, go watch the tape of the Rams - Cowboys game from last year. It was the same thing, especially in the 2nd half. I thought then it was because Sean Lee was got hurt and missed the 2nd half but after watching this video its clear that wasn't the problem. Hopefully, this is a learning experience for the Cowboys LBs. They seems indecisive about where the ball was going and were ate filling gaps or filled the wrong gaps. The safeties didn't support the run game either. Bad performance all around.

I didn't look at the video of the game again, but during the game, when Lee was playing, I thought he was a little better recognizing the plays in the run game. He struggled in pass coverage though. LVE will get better with experience.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Lot's of finger pointing, blame on scheme or technique, etc.

I'm going to simplify it for everyone;

THeir OL is elite, the Cowboys DL was just good. Elite beat good. They were better, full stop. No different than how the Cowboys OL was better than every DL they faced in 2014-16. The Cowboys got a taste of their own medicine.

The Rams successfully executed what the Cowboys tried to do in those years - dominance on both lines. Our OL wasn't as good as their DL (although there should be MAJOR props for how the OL held up during the playoff game) and our DL wasn't nearly as good as their OL.

You can try to out-scheme them all day, but there is a reason the Rams offense is as dominant as it is. Combination of talent and scheme - IN THAT ORDER. I personally think the Ram's offense is better than Kansas City, but that will remain to be seen.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
In the same way the Cowboys were better at playing this style of game than the Seahawks, the Rams are better at playing this style of game than the COwboys. Three teams that want to do the exact same things, and each better than the last. That's why the Rams are the 2 seed, the Cowboys are the 4 seed and the Seahawks are the 5 seed.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Rams - All 5 starters were the same through every game this season.................................

How many times did the Cowboys have to change an offensive line starter(s)/insert someone because of injury ? A lot of offensive line play is predicated upon a certain rhythm that's gained by consistently playing together........................

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Rams - All 5 starters were the same through every game this season.................................

How many times did the Cowboys have to change an offensive line starter(s)/insert someone because of injury ? A lot of offensive line play is predicated upon a certain rhythm that's gained by consistently playing together........................

The rams won this game the same way the Cowboys dominated the league in 2014, through a top 3 OL.

I'll be honest, my take away from this game is that I'm even MORE impressed that Zeke won the rushing title over Gurley (although he sat out 2 games). The difference between the Ram's OL and the 2018 Cowboys OL was, IMO, about 300-500 yards on the ground.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Exactly, so much of the OL game is executing the transitions, traps, etc. Dallas had that in 2016 and dominated, this year we had players out with injuries, everyone struggling with Alexanders new technique until he got canned, etc. On top of it Martin and Tyron were playing at 50 - 70% for the second half of the season. Its no secret why we allowed TWICE the sacks this year as the last two years.

Getting Frederick back makes this unit 50% better but having enough reps together to develop some cohesion will make them 50% better on top of that.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
The rams won this game the same way the Cowboys dominated the league in 2014, through a top 3 OL.

I'll be honest, my take away from this game is that I'm even MORE impressed that Zeke won the rushing title over Gurley (although he sat out 2 games). The difference between the Ram's OL and the 2018 Cowboys OL was, IMO, about 300-500 yards on the ground.

If everyone watches the provided video clips , notice how almost every snap the Rams are moving together like it's a choreographed dance number.........

Fluidity equals timing which is essential when using an outside zone blocking system like the Rams do....................

JustChip

Reaction score
One of the biggest contributing factor was that their OL started the same 5 every game. Certainly talent is needed, but cohesiveness and the synergy of knowing what the man next to you is going to do is just as important (after all, 2 of their starting 5 were a 5th and 6th rounder).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In the same way the Cowboys were better at playing this style of game than the Seahawks, the Rams are better at playing this style of game than the COwboys. Three teams that want to do the exact same things, and each better than the last. That's why the Rams are the 2 seed, the Cowboys are the 4 seed and the Seahawks are the 5 seed.

This same Rams team got dominated by the Eagles and Bears defense.

You could get after them if you were prepared.

Dallas just had no idea where the ball was going or who had it and in turn while they were searching for the ball they were getting drove backwards.

The Pre-snap motion, misdirection, and running up to the line and snapping the ball played a big factor in how their run game was so successful.

If McVay is coaching the Cowboys and Garrett is coaching the Rams then I feel pretty good about McVays cowboys winning.

dckid

Reaction score
Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:

Seems like those early false starts made them heaistant off the ball

It’s shameful what happened. I can’t remeber us getting this man handeled since the Eagles pickle juice game, back in 2000. Damn I got a money football memory. If I remember correctly Staley got 200 plus yards on
Jerry really needs to be honest with himself and find a real HC, or he will regret it 2 or 3 years from now. Sorry our offense and defensive approach cannot beat teams like Patriots, Eagles, Rams, Saints, Chiefs.
Love it it hate it the league has changed, Luke the NBA with pace and 3 pointers. Accept the changes and change your philosophy or be butt headed and suffer the consequences. We definitely have a talent upswing no doubt but until we get the coaching we will muck around in 8-10 wins, wildcard and lose to elite talent and coaching. Be honest with yourselves.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This same Rams team got dominated by the Eagles and Bears defense.

You could get after them if you were prepared.

Dallas just had no idea where the ball was going or who had it and in turn while they were searching for the ball they were getting drove backwards.

The Pre-snap motion, misdirection, and running up to the line and snapping the ball played a big factor in how their run game was so successful.

If McVay is coaching the Cowboys and Garrett is coaching the Rams then I feel pretty good about McVays cowboys winning.

Both the Bears and Eagles have much better defensive lines than the Cowboys.

Re the Eagles - they scored 1 less TD against the Eagles than the Cowboys. I didn't watch the game, but I'd say that's about right when it comes to the Eagle's front being better matched to stop them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Both the Bears and Eagles have much better defensive lines than the Cowboys.

And I disagree.

They aren't much better. They are marginally better at best. Regardless.. We have much better linebackers.

There is absolutely no excuse for a top 5 run defense like we have to allow 7 or 8 yards a carry or whatever it was.