Baldy's breakdown if dline against rams

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rams are great schematcally, no doubt. But I think the Cowboys defense ate the cheese after stopping the #1 rushing offense and being told how great they are, the owner acting like they'd just won the Superbowl, talk about extending the head coach, etc. They won one close playoff game against a team that was .500 on the road and thought they had it all figured out. It's a chronic problem with this team.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I've never seen our team run around not knowing what the hell they were doing like that video showed. It's complete failure to understand the plays the Rams were calling. Gurley saw the defense try to stop him near the end of the line of scrimmage and he simply cut to another side and changed course. That's the thing, you have to anticipate where Gurley was running and we couldn't. But even if we couldn't anticipate him, there shouldn't be more than 1 hole open. The fact that they were several holes open meant Gurley had several opportunities to exploit. Every time our linebackers went to defend the end of the line, Gurley went through the middle. Two or three players per play took themselves out of the play - the linebackers had a total mental breakdown, while the other players were taken out by the Rams far superior O-Line. The Rams O-Line was just sharp, they had an answer for every trick our D-Line attempted.

it didn't matter how good the running back was honestly, because CJ Anderson was having the same success. That tells me one thing, it's the Rams schemes that won the game. You could have anyone in there really. You honestly think CJ Anderson beat you? Come on now. Cowboys began to play better in the 2nd half learning after getting beat, (trial by error, I guess) but enough damage was done, and we simply went from awful to just bad. A step up but meanwhile on the other side, our own running game was sucking it up as well and not helping.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think an underrated aspect of the DL getting their butt’s handed to them is that the game was played on a soggy grass field. Really neutralized the quickness of our penetrating DL and ability to anchor. We play most of our games on turf. When we played on grass (PHI, WAS), it was firm. Not saying it was THE reason, but it was a factor.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Wonder if this staff had them a step behind as usual knowing the field conditions and not adjusting to the proper depth on their cleats

Sydla

Reaction score
Bring in a real DT this offseason. Stop thinking its a fungible position that you can fill with late round picks and guys bagging groceries.

End of story.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
The Cowboys LBs had their worst game all season. Even worse than the Colts game. What is disturbing is how easily the Rams took the DTs out of their gaps with one on one blocking allowing a free offensive lineman to get out and block the LBs. The Rams TEs and WRs all blocked effectively. This is where the Cowboys miss Witten and Dez. Both were good blockers in the run game.

Anyone with more knowledge of want to opine if this is a technique issue or strength? It just seems like the Cowboys get pushed around more than they should whether its offensive or defensive line.

But I posted before, go watch the tape of the Rams - Cowboys game from last year. It was the same thing, especially in the 2nd half. I thought then it was because Sean Lee was got hurt and missed the 2nd half but after watching this video its clear that wasn't the problem. Hopefully, this is a learning experience for the Cowboys LBs. They seems indecisive about where the ball was going and were ate filling gaps or filled the wrong gaps. The safeties didn't support the run game either. Bad performance all around.

I didn't look at the video of the game again, but during the game, when Lee was playing, I thought he was a little better recognizing the plays in the run game. He struggled in pass coverage though. LVE will get better with experience.
Technique issue from lack of being stubborn by defensive side. Watch this video from 15 minutes on and see why we didn't at least play like this on D since I know the Rams made no changes themselves.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I watch this video and think that X Woods should not have a spot on this team. 6th rounder gets a chance to start in the NFL and shows that kind of effort tackling!?! That is the type of play that has been accepted in Dallas far too long. Both starting Ss need to be gone.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah, this was not a case of the Rams "just doing what they do."

This is a team that averaged 140 yards rushing per game, and they basically doubled that against us. With a QB who ranked 23rd in passer rating over the last 8 weeks, and had a 74.4 in this game.

I don't buy the "there's nothing to see here." There's plenty to see here.

Bingo. If our defense holds them to 140 yards rushing on Saturday. We probably win the game.

fansince68

Reaction score
Rams - All 5 starters were the same through every game this season.................................

How many times did the Cowboys have to change an offensive line starter(s)/insert someone because of injury ? A lot of offensive line play is predicated upon a certain rhythm that's gained by consistently playing together........................
Good point. But the Rams o line looked like Goliath going against a little boy. They looked so much stronger.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I watch this video and think that X Woods should not have a spot on this team. 6th rounder gets a chance to start in the NFL and shows that kind of effort tackling!?! That is the type of play that has been accepted in Dallas far too long. Both starting Ss need to be gone.
Your way off. Problem lies on the defensive line. It all starts and stops up front. Almost 300 yards rushing isn’t on the safeties 15 yards down field.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:

Seems like those early false starts made them heaistant off the ball

This game was lost in the trecnhes. We had no answer against the blocking of the OL. And this was not only their OL. It was the strong blocking in the middle combined with very creativ blocking by their TE and WR and RB.

Our LB werent used to be blocked out of the game the way the rams did. But this was not an LB issue. It was the front 4 that was dominanted.

Sean Lee i dont understand why we did play him. He was pushed around. And way to slow. Was that preassure by our idiot blue lable alcoholic. I dont hope so. But the worst time to bring Lee into a game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:

Seems like those early false starts made them heaistant off the ball

This is where head coaching prowess comes into play.

A good coach will plan for this, prepare and make adjustments.

Even coaches like Marinelli has lapses being caught up in the duties of his job.. A head coach is supposed to be an overseer and gear guys up for pretty much anything.

The Rams had that, apparently.

The Cowboys didn't.

They didn't make adjustments, and it cost them going in.

They were one-dimensional on defense.

Surprisingly, this loss came down to the defense. I personally think the defense was under-prepared for the playoff game.

Some of that might have had something to do with Richard being busy with interviews.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This game was lost in the trecnhes. We had no answer against the blocking of the OL. And this was not only their OL. It was the strong blocking in the middle combined with very creativ blocking by their TE and WR and RB.

Our LB werent used to be blocked out of the game the way the rams did. But this was not an LB issue. It was the front 4 that was dominanted.

Sean Lee i dont understand why we did play him. He was pushed around. And way to slow. Was that preassure by our idiot blue lable alcoholic. I dont hope so. But the worst time to bring Lee into a game.

Bringing Lee in cost us..

Put a fork in him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Your way off. Problem lies on the defensive line. It all starts and stops up front. Almost 300 yards rushing isn’t on the safeties 15 yards down field.

The Dallas Ss like to take bad angles to avoid direct contact. You must see this? I agree the DL was terrible. 1 game. The Ss stink every week.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
D was wearing down during the stretch run. You could see it easily on film. The tackling was getting worse and worse. Guarantee McVay saw it and decided to just run over Dallas rather than sling it around on them which would have let them off the hook.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are two ways to run an Offense. Same with Defense, BTW. One, you can execute blocks and get to the second level, in order to create holes. Two, you can physically dominate at the point of attack. You can execute blocks flawlessly but if you have an interior Defensive Line that can not be moved out, then it doesn't matter what you do to block them. You aren't going to be successful. Now, there are not a lot of those guys in this league but there are guys who can just muck up you scheme. We don't have those guys on this Defensive unit, we don't value them. Have said it for years and honestly, I've just come to the conclusion that this is something that our team will just never buy into.

I'm just going to say this, we have some of the very best LBs in the League. That has become the strength of this Defensive Unit. They fly around and make plays all over the field. It makes no sense to allow opposing Offenses to get to the second level and negate their abilities to do what they do best.

The Rams and Wade Phillips have just shown the League the Blueprint to beat us. We are going to see a lot of this next year. Now, not every team will be able to execute as well as the Rams did and make no mistake, it certainly makes it much easier to attack this defense if you know what they are going to try and do (which according to the Rams, they did over 95% of the time), but we are going to see every team use this against us next year. Something has got to give here.

fansince68

Reaction score
There are two ways to run an Offense. Same with Defense, BTW. One, you can execute blocks and get to the second level, in order to create holes. Two, you can physically dominate at the point of attack. You can execute blocks flawlessly but if you have an interior Defensive Line that can not be moved out, then it doesn't matter what you do to block them. You aren't going to be successful. Now, there are not a lot of those guys in this league but there are guys who can just muck up you scheme. We don't have those guys on this Defensive unit, we don't value them. Have said it for years and honestly, I've just come to the conclusion that this is something that our team will just never buy into.

I'm just going to say this, we have some of the very best LBs in the League. That has become the strength of this Defensive Unit. They fly around and make plays all over the field. It makes no sense to allow opposing Offenses to get to the second level and negate their abilities to do what they do best.

The Rams and Wade Phillips have just shown the League the Blueprint to beat us. We are going to see a lot of this next year. Now, not every team will be able to execute as well as the Rams did and make no mistake, it certainly makes it much easier to attack this defense if you know what they are going to try and do (which according to the Rams, they did over 95% of the time), but we are going to see every team use this against us next year. Something has got to give here.
Is Snacks Harrison a free agent? Would it be wise to pick him up in a predominantly passing league?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That game boiled down to simply coaching, they have it we don't and old jerrah is blind by something red has over him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Is Snacks Harrison a free agent? Would it be wise to pick him up in a predominantly passing league?

I don't know if he is or not but I do know this, until a decision has been made on DC, nothing will change there. Marinelli was brought in because he had a reputation as a DC who could get more done with less, so to speak. This suggests that the team had already come to the conclusion that they didn't want to pay certain positions and that Marinelli was the solution to the problem. Now, IMO, he has done that but the real question is, is that what it takes to win a Championship?

Lets have a look and see what teams have won with, over the past 10 years, make a note that 34 schemes will have three players listed as the NT and DE are actually more like DTs:

2017 Eagles - Fletcher Cox (1st Rd), Tim Jurnigan (2nd Rd)
2016 Pats - Malcolm Brown (1st Rd), Alan Branch (2nd Rd)
2015 Denver - Sylvester Williams (1st Rd), Derek Wolfe (2nd Rd), Malik Jackson (5th Rd)
2014 Pats - Chris Jones (6th Rd), Vince Wilfork (1st Rd)
2013 Seattle - Michael Bennett (UFA), Clinton McDonald (7th Rd)
2012 Ravens - Haloti Ngata (1st Rd), Ma'ake Kemoeatu
2011 Giants - Lindval Joseph (2nd Rd), Chris Canty (4th Rd)
2010 Saints - Sedrick Ellis (1st Rd), Remi Ayodele (UFA)
2009 Steelers - Casey Hampton (1st Rd), Brett Keisel (7th Rd), Lawrence Timmons (1st Rd)
2008 Giants - Fred Robbins (2nd Rd), Barry Cofield (4th Rd)

Now, 3 things I take away from this. One, the investment at DT has continued to increase with higher draft picks. Two, only one team has one a Super Bowl over the last 10 years without having invested at least a 2nd round pick at the position and that was Seattle in 2013 but lets be honest, Michael Bennett went undrafted and should have been a 1st round talent. Three, we screwed up big time by letting Canty go.