Twitter: Baldy's breakdowns: "Who plays defense like this?"

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's a small sample size, but this looks more like scheme than personnel. "Who cares how many sacks you have" when teams can do this to you?

Good question. Dallas better find some answers, and soon.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Lots of complaints about the LBs, but the real issue is the defensive line. They don't absorb blocks, and the scheme seems more about getting after the QB.

If what you're doing allows running lanes, you're not getting after the QB. Not when it's 3rd and 2, time and again. They're just going to run the football. Again.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We've got an offensive coordinator who uses Dak like he's Patrick Mahomes and a DC who runs whatever this is, but we're going to win the Super Bowl?

The coordinators are not what some want to believe, including Jerry. We're not winning trophies with either of them.

I sleep better at night because I do not have false hope. We all want championships, but these guys won't get them.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
This team is a joke from head to toe. Not surprised this joke of a team can’t even scheme from an offensive standpoint or defensive standpoint. Everything from the QB to the Safety position has an extreme fundamental problem that can’t be fixed.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
That's why I call them jump around defensive tackles. Because when they come off the ball they try to jump around the offensive guards leaving big holes. John Ridgeway was physically incapable of laying like that. If we want to stop the run we have to abandon the one gap system. Go to a two gap system and bring in players like John Ridgeway and Suh...natural two gap players.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
That's why I call them jump around defensive tackles. Because when they come off the ball they try to jump around the offensive guards leaving big holes. John Ridgeway was physically incapable of laying like that. If we want to stop the run we have to abandon the one gap system. Go to a two gap system and bring in players like John Ridgeway and Suh...natural two gap players.

I think the Ridgeway love is a bit over the top, but I agree this system is vulnerable and it has been exposed.

Lots of DQ love here but I'm not feeling it. His defense feels like a one-trick pony, and it's not fooling anyone.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It isn't just the DTs. They are getting gashed on the edges and we have our DEs running stunts, looping to the inside it is total insanity.

Earlier in the season they were generating tackles for a loss with their penetration that was killing drives by forcing teams into 2nd and 3rd and long but that hasn't been the case for a few weeks now and he hasn't adjusted.

They need to take care of business on 1st and 2nd down so they can unleash the rush on 3rd down.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Bring in Wade Phillips as consultant.

He can generate sacks/pressure without giving up 200 yards on ground.

And for Pete's sake, sign Ndamukong Suh already.
Phillips plays a 3-4, we definitely don't have the LBs for a 3-4

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's only a few plays, but when you see them it's not hard to grasp why what Dallas did wasn't working.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU, MR. BRIAN BALDINGER FOR THIS MINI TAPE!!!

THIS is what I have been noticing and saying the past 2 years while Dan Quinn has been our D-Coordinator in Dallas. I've been seeing these crazy called stunts during big runs ran against our Defense under the Dan Quinn defensive regime, but I don't have the software to save on to my computer and then share on here for all to see. This is totally nuts!!!

Like Mr. Ballinger said: What is this? What kind of a defense is this? Who does this...stunts your defensive tackles and LBs out of the way and leaves not a hole but a gorge for an opposing RB to easily run right up our Defense for either huge gains or TDs???

Y'all need to stop worshipping Dan Quinn. Now we see why he was fired by the measly Atlanta Falcons. His horrible called stunts is killing our Defense, helping our opponents and costing our Cowboys games! It's as if someone paid Dan Quinn money under the table to call the absolute worse stunts possible in order to help our opponents!!!

SMDH :mad::facepalm::mad::facepalm::mad::facepalm::mad:

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dan Quinn needs to be fired if this keeps happening. He's our D-Coordinator and the one who signed off on cutting John Ridgeway. John Ridgeway was Jerry's pick, but it's becoming very obvious why John Ridgeway was cut. Probably because John Ridgeway either refused to run such crazy stunts that expose our Defense or because he was a gap-plugging type of DT who didn't fit into the mold of being able to execute such crazy called stunts of Dan Quinn's.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The pieces for a 3-4 scheme are there, Parsons OLB, Clark ILB. Hankins NT etc
True. The difference is Dan Quinn likes to have 5 DBs in the secondary, with 1 playing a hybrid/rover type. If Cowboys go 3-4, they will be limited to mostly a standard 4 DBs and outside LBs who have to both rush from the edge, contain the edge and try to cover the pass when necessary.

I still feel the 4-3 D is the best way to go, but clearly, Dan Quinn prefers a 4-2-5 than a normal 4-3-4. When he stunts our D-line as horribly against the run the way he does, it totally opens up huge gorges in between the Tackles and causes our 2 LBs to get blocked out of the way.

cristglo

Reaction score
It's a small sample size, but this looks more like scheme than personnel. "Who cares how many sacks you have" when teams can do this to you?

Good question. Dallas better find some answers, and soon.

That's the problem everyone is looking at getting after the QB instead of staying in their lanes One of the things that Micha speaks out about. That gap though is on Quinn