Twitter: Baldy's breakdowns: "Who plays defense like this?"

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
You're 100% correct brother!

I actually have always liked Romo...a lot! It's just since he's half Hispanic, I ride him harder than most. Just the way I was raised. We judge our own much more critically. I'll try to be more gentle on Tony, especially since I do like him.

Sorry for causing so much discomfort. My apologies.
Haha..no worries! I don't take anything personal on a message board, too many other things in life to worry about, as I'm sure you know with your ear problems!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The LBers need gaps to come up and fill, just like a running back. I've been complaining for years that Dallas doesn't take the Defensive Tackles position serious enough. So what do we have? The same as we've always have. We draft all of these pass rushers and don't address DTs until later rounds or FA. The NFL teams that are going to be good in the playoffs are teams that can run the ball. So unless our run defense changes considerably, we're not going past the first round.

Aven8

Reaction score
Been saying this since Sunday that they have GOT to get three true LB’s on the field at the same time. They also need to put them back a little bit. The Lb’s are literally playing off the DL butts.

I’m telling you it will work folks. It’s worked since football was invented.

Brax

Reaction score
You're 100% correct brother!

I actually have always liked Romo...a lot! It's just since he's half Hispanic, I ride him harder than most. Just the way I was raised. We judge our own much more critically. I'll try to be more gentle on Tony, especially since I do like him.

Sorry for causing so much discomfort. My apologies.
Sad people think like this. Always wondered where the Romo hate came from, but you “really like him”, have to laugh.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Can anyone also explain why our safties are never there to help on long throws? I see other teams who have three defenders knocking the ball away if you try and throw it 20+ yards downfield. Our guys are nowhere to be found. It’s been happening forever h rough multiple coaching changes and I’ve never understood it. Has to be a scheme issue.
Or it could be they are biting up on the run as well. The more big gains you see on the ground the LBs start getting closer and then the DBs start getting closer as well. That's why it seemed like every playaction pass came with a long gain or TD

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That's why I call them jump around defensive tackles. Because when they come off the ball they try to jump around the offensive guards leaving big holes.

Agreed. Too often they are trying to go upfield & the Oline understands where they want to go so they let them & then seal them. Or the linemen on the off play side let them go by so they can easily get to the second level to pick off the LBers.

When they line up and just engage the blocker and form a front, I don't see nearly as much offensive success.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Today anyone can be Hispanic or anything they want sad as that is, but truly sorry now that you clarified I get it now, again sorry.
What? Are you making fun of Hispanics and our heritage of how we judge our own more critically?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In SEA, Quinn had an in his prime Bobby Wagner and in ATL, Deion Jones, two sideline to sideline run enforcers and in SEA, he had a better run DL.

This was all fun and games as long as Micah was the terror and wreaking havoc in the backfield, the warts of a suspect run D were hidden.

Parsons has been compared to Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas, two of the very best to ever do it, but if those teams had depended on them to be superstars and not given them excellent complimentary players, would they have achieved greatness?

It is very simple to me. Any team that is star focused. as the Cowboys are. stops short of giving those stars a strong supporting cast and is dependent on them for the "show". They stop short of completing the project and move onto another one. Right now, that is Beckham when it should be a DT.

The "Flex" D was designed around one goal, the MLB must lead the team in tackles and that must be around the LOS. DL, when not after the QB, were to keep the OL off the LB's.

That game was the perfect template for how to nullify one of the best D playmakers in the game and you can bet it is going to be replicated. PHL started it and CHI and GB have improved on it. Now MIN and NYG get their shot. And once any D is overcommitted to stop one phase, the other one becomes a problem as well.

The Dallas Cowboys D doesn't scare anyone.......except their DC.

pitt33

Reaction score
We've got an offensive coordinator who uses Dak like he's Patrick Mahomes and a DC who runs whatever this is, but we're going to win the Super Bowl?

The coordinators are not what some want to believe, including Jerry. We're not winning trophies with either of them.

I sleep better at night because I do not have false hope. We all want championships, but these guys won't get them.
I’ve accepted this fact a long time ago. Moore is still green and Quinn isn’t the defensive savant we were hoping for.

A big problem with this defensive front is they don’t have enough big bodies. They draft the same body type guys. More lean, pass rusher types. They always get pushed around and the linebackers aren’t good enough to stop the run until the back is at the 2nd level and beyond.