Barber/Jones/McFadden

Txaus

Reaction score
Question for all...

Lets say the Cowboys draft McFadden and lets JJ go to another team. So Dallas would now have a McFadden - Barber backfield. How would you split the carries? I don't know if I would want to take carries away from Barber & I also don't know if I would want to give my potential #1 pick only 50% or less of the carries.

I enjoy watching Jones and Barber. Although I would love having McFadden, I am kindoff torn. I think at this point I hope Dallas resigns Jones. Split the carries (Barber 60-65% Jones 35-40%).

Maybe use Cleveland's pick to trade down to around #10 (acquire an extra 2nd ) and draft a Malcolm Kelly (1st choice ) or Sweed and then use Dallas pick to get a shutdown corner.

Our roster which is already loaded this year would be extremely loaded next year.

**** I am enjoying this season and taking it one game at a time but just looking ahead ;) ******

Kangaroo

Reaction score
WE are not getting MCfadden since Cleveland is not even close to being the worse team in the league heck the Rams and the mighty Stephen Jackson are 0-3. The Chiefs look putrid as well and are lucky to be 1-2 and Minny has a young QB and do are 1-2. There are 11 or 12 teams sitting at 0-3 or 1-2. :eek:

We are going to have to settle for J Davis from Clemson in the 1st round. J. Davis is a stud as well when running the ball.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Both McFadden and Barber are both big team guys.

What worries me is the contract Barber is going to get when he becomes a free agent.

Especially with Rosenhaus as his agent because that man will get what hes worth.

We got Newman looking at us in free agency, TO after next year is a decision we will have to make, Barber, Romo will get big money, Flozell, and Clevelands pick will most likely be a top pick.

We got some issues coming our way.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Kangaroo;1667679 said:
WE are not getting MCfadden since Cleveland is not even close to being the worse team in the league heck the Rams and the mighty Stephen Jackson are 0-3. The Chiefs look putrid as well and are lucky to be 1-2 and Minny has a young QB and do are 1-2. There are 11 or 12 teams sitting at 0-3 or 1-2. :eek:

We are going to have to settle for J Davis from Clemson in the 1st round. J. Davis is a stud as well when running the ball.

Browns are bad. Dont be fooled. Plus a lot of teams you name wont be looking at RB except for the Raiders.

We need to pull for Oakland every week. They just so happened to beat none other than the Browns yesterday.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
The thing that I love about Barber is that he's the kind of teammate that would take the drafting of McFadden completely in stride. Wouldn't bother him at all IMO.... especially if we keep winning.

McFadden splits carries now as well, so he probably wouldn't mind it.

You basically have to have two backs who can do the job now in this league. I think that combo instantly gives us the best in the league.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
CATCH17;1667680 said:
Both McFadden and Barber are both big team guys.

What worries me is the contract Barber is going to get when he becomes a free agent.

Especially with Rosenhaus as his agent because that man will get what hes worth.

We got Newman looking at us in free agency, TO after next year is a decision we will have to make, Barber, Romo will get big money, Flozell, and Clevelands pick will most likely be a top pick.

We got some issues coming our way.

I would try and trade Flozell before that and take Jake Long from Michigan to be our starting Left Tackle. We might could get a second rounder for Flo.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Txaus;1667626 said:
Question for all...

Lets say the Cowboys draft McFadden and lets JJ go to another team. So Dallas would now have a McFadden - Barber backfield. How would you split the carries?

50/50. If there's one RB who's having a great game, give him more carries.

Both RBs are used to splitting carries so I don't think ego will be an issue.

Kangaroo;1667679 said:
WE are not getting MCfadden since Cleveland is not even close to being the worse team in the league heck the Rams and the mighty Stephen Jackson are 0-3..

The browns don't have to have the #1 pick for us to get McFadden. Think before you post.

The Falcons will probably be worst. You think they'll pick McFadden?

The Rams suck right now and might finish near the bottom, you think they'll take McFadden?

The first RB taken in this year's draft went #7, yet you think we need the top pick to get McFadden?

:rolleyes:

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Doesn't Michael Turner get a lot of carries for the Chargers, despite LT? Seems like it could be made to work.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Kangaroo;1667679 said:

You do realize that you just ponted out three teams that wouldn't even take McFadden if they had the #1 pick, right?

Who said we need the #1 spot to get him anyway?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Let's just say it's a problem I would love to have.

Oh, and both McFadden and Barber currently share workloads and are quite happy.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1667697 said:
I would try and trade Flozell before that and take Jake Long from Michigan to be our starting Left Tackle. We might could get a second rounder for Flo.

Adams is a FA, we trading him during this season?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
blindzebra;1667722 said:
Adams is a FA, we trading him during this season?

I thought he had a year left after this year.

I guess I'm wrong.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
As much as I like McFadden, I do see him has more of a want than a need. When you have 2 backs that can play, you extend the careers of those 2 guys, and our running back spot would be solid for years.

I like the best available player, and that will probably be McFadden no matter where he falls. No way I want a DT for a 3-4 that early, but a OT or CB would definitely make sense. Thing is though, McFadden is a true factor back with both power and break away speed, and make no mistake, Barber's speed isn't in the same universe as McFadden. The carries would be more like 65% for McFadden.

If he is there, take him, he is a difference maker, especially in an offense like the Cowboys. He is the total package, and could be used like Bush a little also. Difference is, at least we have some talent on defense, unlike the Saints.

dboyz

Reaction score
We have bigger needs than RB at this time, IMO.

CB, possibly OL, NT, WR. I would consider taking McFadden if we could meet our other needs, but right now I would lean towards a shutdown corner if there is one available.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
I don't think the Raiders would take him. They have Jordan who is playing pretty good so far. Rhodes is suspended, but he'll be back in a couple weeks. They have Justin Fargus as a change of pace back and their 4th round pick, Michael Bush.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dboyz;1667749 said:
We have bigger needs than RB at this time, IMO.

CB, possibly OL, NT, WR. I would consider taking McFadden if we could meet our other needs, but right now I would lean towards a shutdown corner if there is one available.

Thats where I stopped reading.

There is a golden rule in the 1st round about drafting for need. Especially when you pick really high.

fortdick

Reaction score
CATCH17;1667761 said:
Thats where I stopped reading.

There is a golden rule in the 1st round about drafting for need. Especially when you pick really high.

What is that Golden Rule? Take the best player available? What if it is a QB? How about a center? Maybe a TE? OR another OLB?
OF course you fill a need with your first round pick, especially if it is a top 10!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
fortdick;1667773 said:
What is that Golden Rule? Take the best player available? What if it is a QB? How about a center? Maybe a TE? OR another OLB?
OF course you fill a need with your first round pick, especially if it is a top 10!

Sorry dude but your wrong. You take the best player.

There are exceptions to the rule but McFadden isn't one of them and if hes there when Dallas picks we will have our card turned in within 10 seconds and have the best player in the entire draft.