Barber/Jones/McFadden

fortdick

Reaction score
CATCH17;1667787 said:
Sorry dude but your wrong. You take the best player.

There are exceptions to the rule but McFadden isn't one of them and if hes there when Dallas picks we will have our card turned in within 10 seconds and have the best player in the entire draft.

Really? I am wrong?

Why does every team then draft for need? How far did Peterson drop last year? How far did Quinn drop last year? Everyone drfts for need.

You are saying that we shoud take a QB or a TE if they are on the board at our pick because they are the best available?

Best player available is a cliche. We passed on a lot of great players in this last draft and took Spencer 'cause Ellis was/is done.

blindzebra

Reaction score
CATCH17;1667787 said:

There are exceptions to the rule but McFadden isn't one of them and if hes there when Dallas picks we will have our card turned in within 10 seconds and have the best player in the entire draft.

Thanks so much for continuing the biggest myth in the NFL.:rolleyes:

Best player available is not the golden rule.

The rule is best player that fits a need with value.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
fortdick;1667801 said:
Really? I am wrong?

Why does every team then draft for need? How far did Peterson drop last year? How far did Quinn drop last year? Everyone drfts for need.

You are saying that we shoud take a QB or a TE if they are on the board at our pick because they are the best available?

Best player available is a cliche. We passed on a lot of great players in this last draft and took Spencer 'cause Ellis was/is done.

Well, I think it is better said as the best available player, who fills at least a little bit of a need either now or in the future. Sure, its not cut and dried, but that early, you do have to look at best available just a little more than need, although really you do look at both.

Obviously, the Lions really didn't "need" Calvin Johnson. Sometimes best available overrides need somewhat for the right player, so it isn't just a cut and dried rule.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
blindzebra;1667811 said:
Thanks so much for continuing the biggest myth in the NFL.:rolleyes:

Best player available is not the golden rule.

The rule is best player that fits a need with value.

Exactly.

BPA is a general rule, and it works great around picks 20- 200, but when you have a top 10, top 5 pick, throw it out the window, you take what you need, provided the guy isn't head and shoulders below bpa. But you have to have some common sense.

Am I the only one who thinks there is a possibility that we just resign JJ and Barber, and pass on McFadden? We're fixing to tie up 60+ million in a qb, and are going to have to lose our left tackle? I wouldn't be surprised to see us take best tackle available, especially if Long is there with Clevelands pick.

Certainly not a sexy pick, but Flo's on his last leg here.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1667702 said:
Doesn't Michael Turner get a lot of carries for the Chargers, despite LT? Seems like it could be made to work.

Actually Turner usually gets carries when the game is already won. He only had two carries last week, cause they lost. Last year he had a good season cause the Chargers rolled.

Victort52

Reaction score
Michael Turner.. Good lead-in to a question I've been thinking about recently. With RB being pretty hit and miss in the draft, why not go after a Michael Turner, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the year? I've heard talk that he would be a top 5 back if he was starting.

That would still leave us with two #1's to address other areas.

daboys79

Reaction score
Kangaroo;1667679 said:
WE are not getting MCfadden since Cleveland is not even close to being the worse team in the league heck the Rams and the mighty Stephen Jackson are 0-3. The Chiefs look putrid as well and are lucky to be 1-2 and Minny has a young QB and do are 1-2. There are 11 or 12 teams sitting at 0-3 or 1-2. :eek:

We are going to have to settle for J Davis from Clemson in the 1st round. J. Davis is a stud as well when running the ball.

He is not 1st round material. I'd rather have Ray Rice or Slaton

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CATCH17;1667787 said:

So do you think we'll have the #1 pick?? Because your theory here suggests that if we don't there's no chance we get him. Not even if we have #2 and ATL has #1.

sago1

Reaction score
Michael Turner will be a FA after 07 season and Chargers gave up the right to franchise/transition him in order to re-sign him to 1 year contract. So he is an option instead of drafting McFadden.

If we able draft McFadden with Cleveland's pick, we'll have he and MBIII sharing the load for one year. MBIII becomes a FA after 08 season and with TO's agent as MBIII's agent doubt we can afford the cap money to keep him around cause much of it will have to be spent on keeping some other players around. If we sign Turner as a FA, same problem applies; we'd have too much cap money spent on one position.

If we get a top 10 pick (even top 5) from Cleveland, we could use it to trade down and get that team's first rounder as well as their 2nd rounder in 08. We could use that pick on best CB available & our own in lower first round on a RB. The newly acquired 2nd rounder could be used to draft a WR or another need position (DT/DE) depending on what we've got with Tank Johnson. Hopefully we've filled our needs with quality 4 picks in first 2 rounds.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
McFadden and Barber = Greatest RB duo in history of NFL
with our huge OL we would destroy defenses and thats without even mentioning the passing offense...

BlueStar II

Reaction score
While I would like to see McFadden still on the board when we pick, I doubt that it will happen, unless we move up to get him. If...by some chance it did work out that we managed to get McFadden, having Barber and McFadden on the team would be something special to watch.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Ok to peoples response yes Atlanta may draft McFadden doubtfull because they would most likely Draft Brohm or Booty after that the QB crop is weak and their RB is old and broken in Dunn.

The Raiders have Jordan who is older remember he was with the jets for a while. I mean with that logic why should we draft McFadden when we have Barber and Jones which is better than Rhodes and Jordan :rolleyes: The raiders have there QB in the wings so why not draft a stud RB to go with him I mean Jordan + McFadden would be a great combo.

Rams may let Jackson walk I mean he is in the same boat as JJ and it is not like he is tearing it up. They have their QB and wr why not. So yes the Rams may draft him. Depending on where the pathetic lions fall in here they could use a QB and a RB since Jones is always injured and has done little.

The Giants have a chance to be in the bottom tier the way they have played even after thier win and you are telling me they would skip on McFadden. I mean we have a long way to go but there are a lot of bad bad teams this year that could use a RB like him

The Vikings and Chiefs would pass true but

Q_the_man

Reaction score
CATCH17;1667761 said:
Thats where I stopped reading.

There is a golden rule in the 1st round about drafting for need. Especially when you pick really high.

So what if we have a top 3 pick and Mcfadden is ranked #7, but when we pick the 3 best players are QB, QB, LB and for the fun of it another QB, do we take best player available or.........

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Kangaroo;1668396 said:
Ok to peoples response yes Atlanta may draft McFadden doubtfull because they would most likely Draft Brohm or Booty after that the QB crop is weak and their RB is old and broken in Dunn.

The Raiders have Jordan who is older remember he was with the jets for a while. I mean with that logic why should we draft McFadden when we have Barber and Jones which is better than Rhodes and Jordan :rolleyes: The raiders have there QB in the wings so why not draft a stud RB to go with him I mean Jordan + McFadden would be a great combo.

Rams may let Jackson walk I mean he is in the same boat as JJ and it is not like he is tearing it up. They have their QB and wr why not. So yes the Rams may draft him. Depending on where the pathetic lions fall in here they could use a QB and a RB since Jones is always injured and has done little.

The Giants have a chance to be in the bottom tier the way they have played even after thier win and you are telling me they would skip on McFadden. I mean we have a long way to go but there are a lot of bad bad teams this year that could use a RB like him

Yeah, I would agree with this, although I will say most of those teams do have alot more needs than we do, so they could go with an absolute need, whereas we would be in more of a position to go for a want.

I do believe alot more teams will have interest in McFadden than has been said earlier in this thread.

Taz

Reaction score
Kangaroo;1668396 said:

So you are saying they are giving up all hope of mike vick as their QB?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Taz;1668431 said:
So you are saying they are giving up all hope of mike vick as their QB?

yes the only reason they have not cut him is the salary cap impact and them trying to recoup bonuses money

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Is there an unstoppable WR coming out this year? If so, I think we need to seriously consider getting a huge play maker for Romo for years to come. We can't keep relying on undrafted,6th/7th rounders in this specific position.

TO will be gone in the next 3 years possibly, you don't want to wait until we desperately need a WR to start looking.

But we must also address the CB situation. We need play makers at this point, and yes McFadden is a play maker, I would really have to consider it.

*NEVER TURN DOWN PLAY MAKERS*

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
OK, this is what i see happening, and i keep posted on the nfl draft, etc,

i am thinking atlanta, oakland, cleveland, are top dogs for first pick right now.

true, if atlanta has first pick, i say they may take a QB, but it might not even be the kid that the atlantas coach coached, there are 3-4 QBs next year in draft in first round possibly.

oakland still might take a running back, but i am thinking more and more they would take a star defensive linemen or a star impact wr. that would leave atlanta whom needs a QB bad, and clevelands pick which is ours

now the rams, bengals, new orleans are losing now, but i see them improving, only other team that may fall is buffalo,

rams have a rb, so that leaves them out, bengals have a rb so that leaves them out, new orleans has rb so that leaves them out, so to me, it leaves clevelands pick for us to get mcfadden.

as far as us having players to sign, we have 12 million right now in salary cap money, i am sure that the cowboys have about 3-4 million of that to roll over, i see them possibly signing terrance newman or tony romo this year, that would leave them with barber, and the other player.

the salary cap goes up again about 10 million dollars, more enough to sign those players.

as far as flozell, i see him leaving, possibly see T O leaving next year, but if terry glenn retires after this year, if cowboys go to super bowl and win it, i see terry glenn retiring, that would leave T O, we would still have enough money to sign them and we have all of our other players locked up

i am and feel like Nate Newton said talking to Nate Newton this evening on www.ktbb.com that nate said the cowboys are loaded, that parcells left this team in good shape for the next 4 years or so. Nate said also when we get tank johnson in november, he will make ratliff a better player and remi too, which will give us a push on pass rushes, and make us extrememly tough to run on up the middle,

so back to flozell, i wouldnt trade him, mcquistan doesnt have enough experience and Doug Free and James Marten are young pups, what you can do is let Flozell go, you should get a 3rd draft choice in compensation for him, since flozell is protype LT, and same thing for julius jones, he was a 2nd round draft choice, you should get a 3rd round draft compensation pick for him, you then, could trade your 3rd pick and move up mid 3rd round to get a better player, this team is loaded pretty well, we just need a few young impact players

# 1 Clevelands pick should be a top 5 pick, should be able to get McFadden
# 1 pick Dallas, should be able to get a top CB or WR, possibly have to trade up mid 20's to get a good player
# 2 pick Cowboys, maybe used to trade up
# 3 pick, Cowboys, this one or 2nd pick used to move up in draft
# 3 compensation pick for Flozell
# 3 compensation pick for J jones
* compensations picks you cant trade, but the compensation picks will be like high # 4 picks, if we do get 2 # 3 picks for flozell and julius jones

we dont need jake long, we have McQuistan, Doug Free, and James Marten, we can draft a young offensive linemen in 3rd or 4th round again.

Our needs as I see it for next year and this year
Impact young backup NT, we have Ratliff, Tank Johnson, maybe filled
1. imapct young WR, by endof year either Stanback is it or get 1 in draft
2. impact young CB, Henry is 31, newman is 29, NEEED HERE!!!!!!!!
3. impact young RB, a stud,
young backup DE for Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Hatcher
4. impact punt returner, need one, maybe WR if draft one can do it, you dont need your star cornerback Newman returning punts, thats how he injured his heel returning punts in practice

so, i see 4 obvious needs for next year, if we resign ken hamlin, then a neeed a fs is filled,

we have a # 1, 1, 2, 3, 4 pick and possibly 2 compensation picks, that should give us picks to filll out our draft needs next year.

if we go to the super bowl, this year and win it, i dont see jerry jones spending money on top free agents to pick up, i see him keeping players he has, and improving via the draft, remember now, jerry jones said he could see packaging picks to move up, in the draft, when you pick in the lower sections of the draft, your chances of getting top players is real slim, the way you compensate that is to move up in the draft, and get players like we did with trades, and draft picks when we got russell maryland, emmitt smith, etc,

thats what i see happening, joe

Kangaroo

Reaction score
How do the Rams have a RB SJ has done what to not warrant drafting a talent like McFadden. If he is the top rated player I would not be suprised if they took him. Plus there is no WR in this draft even close to the level of McFadden. There is no Calvin Johnson in this draft to go top 5 that I see. I mean the draft will change between now and then. I only see 2 QB's worthy of a top 10 selection at this point in the process

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Kangaroo;1668618 said:
How do the Rams have a RB SJ has done what to not warrant drafting a talent like McFadden. If he is the top rated player I would not be suprised if they took him. Plus there is no WR in this draft even close to the level of McFadden. There is no Calvin Johnson in this draft to go top 5 that I see. I mean the draft will change between now and then. I only see 2 QB's worthy of a top 10 selection at this point in the process
The Rams have a LOT of holes. RB is the least of their needs. Their OL is terrible, and their D is a joke.