Barkley at #18?

visionary

Reaction score
i am not a fan of barkley and dont want to take him and do not htink he is BPA at 18

however, esp given the position of QB, if our scouts really believe he is BPA at 18 we should take him

i would hate it but if he becomes a 10 year elite QB for us, we will all come to love the pick

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SWG9;5011804 said:
The simple fact of the matter is that no one knows for a fact whether or not Barkley is going to be good or not. I happen to think he will be, others don't. Fine.

What I'm saying is this: The Cowboys have to kick the tires and do a full work up of Barkley. If they don't have a first round grade on him, fine, pass.

But if they do have a top 10 grade on him and he falls to #18, IMO, you have pull the trigger. It's a lot harder to do that if you've just locked Romo up to a long term extension.

There's no reason at all to rush into an extension before the draft.

BPA means BPA, no matter what the position.

No one will have a top 10 grade on Barkley. He isn't that good of a prospect.
He will be overdrafted because teams are desperate but the fact KC already made a trade for Alex Smith shows what they think about the franchise QBs in this draft class.

The ONLY way Barkley makes any sense for Dallas is if we trade the pick to someone else who is QB hungry.

You can't draft Barkley for leverage because we have too many holes and can't afford to play those silly games with Romo. Extend him, cut him or let him play it out. But drafting Barkley gives us no additional power and one less key asset for whoever is at QB the next decade.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Terrible idea. We simply cannot afford to use our first round pick on a player who will not see the field in 2013.

Sean50Lee

Reaction score
He's better than what you guys are giving him credit for,with that being said I wouldn't draft him [youtube]7U1dIfiKrQk&NR=1[/youtube]

Fredd

Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to taking him in the 4th round, but someone will likely take him before that...more power to them...

...in this draft, there are no QB's worth taking in the first round IMO other than maybe Geno Smith...there are teams that will reach for QB's and I hope that there are 4 or 5 taken before us at #18 (would give us better players from which to choose)...but, I just can't see it

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
jcollins28;5012103 said:
:banghead: Hell no! Not even in the last round.

I'm not a fan of his, but that a ridiculous statement. Of course you'd draft him in the 7th if he was there. What do you have to lose at that point?

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheCount;5012141 said:
I'm not a fan of his, but that a ridiculous statement. Of course you'd draft him in the 7th if he was there. What do you have to lose at that point?
The two draft threads that have been the biggest head-scratchers so far this offseason have been 1) this one by far--suggesting we take this guy at 18 this year and 2) to a much lesser degree, the one suggesting the same thing regarding Tavon Austin.

But I would not suggest in either case that we not take them at all, under any circumstance. Just not at 18....especially not Barkley.

KDM256

Reaction score
You can add me on the not of fan of Barkley List... If we talking quarterbacks I much rather have both Tylers (Bray & Wilson) over Matt Barkley

Sifillest

Reaction score
I'd rather us get Tahj Boyd next year or Ej Manuel in the 3rd-4th rounds. Someone who still has growth potential. Barkley is pretty polished, but his ceiling is pretty low...and if we waste a pick on him, he will get killed behind our line worse than Tony.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I would consider Tyler Bray in the later rds,i think he has plenty of potential.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sifillest;5012428 said:
I'd rather us get Tahj Boyd next year or Ej Manuel in the 3rd-4th rounds. Someone who still has growth potential. Barkley is pretty polished, but his ceiling is pretty low...and if we waste a pick on him, he will get killed behind our line worse than Tony.

Please Please Please no EJ Manuel.

Guy is fools gold IMO. Looks pretty and you think you got something special but when you go to cash it in you get nothing.

I think you got the right idea about someone drafted a little lower with good potential but he is not that guy IMO.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
reddyuta;5012437 said:
I would consider Tyler Bray in the later rds,i think he has plenty of potential.

THIS guy has good potential.

However THIS guy is also someone that you have to worry about trusting. IF he gets his head on straight and matures you could get a steal.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Sean50Lee;5011998 said:
He's better than what you guys are giving him credit for,with that being said I wouldn't draft him [youtube]7U1dIfiKrQk&NR=1[/youtube]

He was a better athlete outside the pocket, but there's a lot of Rich Gannon in Matt Barkley. Gannon wasn't a fit for every offense but once he landed in the right situation in Oakland in that WC scheme he blossomed and carved up defenses in the short to intermediate range. Barkley has very similar strengths, he's not the guy to run a Norv Turner/Don Coryell vertical game but he can be special in the WCO. Funny enough, Bill Callahan was the guy who resurrected Gannon in Oakland.

If Callahan truly is implementing more of his offense this year, Barkley is the type of QB he would covet.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
TheFinisher;5012457 said:
He was a better athlete outside the pocket, but there's a lot of Rich Gannon in Matt Barkley. Gannon wasn't a fit for every offense but once he landed in the right situation in Oakland in that WC scheme he blossomed and carved up defenses in the short to intermediate range. Barkley has very similar strengths, he's not the guy to run a Norv Turner/Don Coryell vertical game but he can be special in the WCO. Funny enough, Bill Callahan was the guy who resurrected Gannon in Oakland.

If Callahan truly is implementing more of his offense this year, Barkley is the type of QB he would covet.

I wish callahan was implementing his offense. Garrett offense is crap. Yeah we put up good numbers because of talent at the QB, TE, and WR position but we cannot score worth a crap and can't convert on 2nd and 1's worth a darn:bang2:. I doubt callahan is implementing his system. We would of heard something by now. I think garrett will call plays again this year.

jcollins28

Reaction score
TheCount;5012141 said:

No, it's not a ridiculous statement. Barkley is nothing more then a combo of John David Boty and Mark Sanchez.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
SWG9;5011591 said:
Thanks for the polite (for the most part) replies.

To elaborate a little further: by no means am I saying that the Cowboys absolutely have to draft Barkley. If they have the two OG's rated as higher prospects and one of them is available at #18, by all means, draft one of the OG's and re up with Romo.

But if both guys are gone (a definite possibility), and there's no other real difference makers at #18 (a probability, based on what I'm reading), doesn't it make sense to swing for the fences with Barkley if he's there?

For once we have some leverage with a player (Romo), I'd like to actually use it instead of automatically resigning him before the draft and locking us into looking elsewhere at #18.

Barclay is leverage against Romo? Seriously?

Romo and his agent would be laughing their arse off if we drafted freaking Barclay. They guy threw 15 picks behind a hell of alot better oline at USC than what we have here. He also doesnt have that great of an arm either.

Think Sanchez 2.0 and still tell me he is leverage against Romo.

Sifillest

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;5012440 said:
Please Please Please no EJ Manuel.

Guy is fools gold IMO. Looks pretty and you think you got something special but when you go to cash it in you get nothing.

I think you got the right idea about someone drafted a little lower with good potential but he is not that guy IMO.

idk man, Ej is a little raw, but the kid made some plays all year long, right up until the senior bowl. Good size and speed as well. I think he would do well to sit behind Tony for a bit.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Sifillest;5014704 said:
idk man, Ej is a little raw, but the kid made some plays all year long, right up until the senior bowl. Good size and speed as well. I think he would do well to sit behind Tony for a bit.

same here, I think he would be a good investment to groom

RS12

Reaction score
Matt Barkley - QB - Trojans
National Football Post's Dan Pompei was told by multiple executives that USC QB Matt Barkley has some of the "it" factor.
"I think Barkley is special that way. He has some ‘it’ factor to him. The personality is there with Barkley," a general manager said. "We ask them questions, try to get a feel for how much they love football, and see if they have a special trait that makes people want to be around them and listen to them. It all comes through with him." One executive said Barkley had the best vision and anticipation of all passers.
Source: National Football Post Mar 4 - 4:05 PM