News: Barry Church fined for throwing football into stands

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys safety Barry Church got caught up in the emotion of his first NFL touchdown last week and it cost him.

Church was fined $5,250 for throwing the football into the stands after his 27-yard fumble return for a score in the third quarter of the Cowboys’ 36-31 win against the New York Giants.

“I didn’t know it was that much,” Church said. “I thought it was maybe $1,700 or something like that. Yeah, they got me. It’ll never happen again.”

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4714808/barry-churchs-wallet-takes-hit-for-td

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He also cost himself a trophy ball or something he could have donated.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Did he rip it into the stands? Or, just lob it up to a fan?

No Friendly League continues on. Get that money!!!!

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
5k for throwing a football into the stands. Come on.

Charge him for the football, and sit him down for a talk. If it's that serious.

Utterly ridiculous. It's apparent that connecting with the fans is only in acceptable ways like the lamebeau leap or any other activity that isn't done involving the Cowboys.:mad:

Nation

Reaction score
As dumb as it sounds, I don't have a ton of sympathy here. I mean he says in his quote that he knew he wasn't supposed to do it and that he'd be fined for it.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Is there a fine if a player just hands the ball to a fan rather than throwing it into the stands?

I should add one of the announcers during the game said the fine was for the potential liability of throwing the ball into the stands. Don't know if that's true or not.

Frozen700

Reaction score
As dumb as it sounds, I don't have a ton of sympathy here. I mean he says in his quote that he knew he wasn't supposed to do it and that he'd be fined for it.

That's not how I took it at all

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

per the article:
“I wasn’t even thinking at the time,” Church said. “I was like, ‘Man, what am I going to do next?’ I was a like, ‘Aaaaaaah,’ and just threw it in the stands. But it won’t happen again.”

Diff article:
David Moore ‏@DavidMooreDMN 7m
Cowboys S Barry Church calls NFL fine, "the most expensive ball toss I've ever done in my life.'' More on http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...sive-ball-toss-ive-ever-done-in-my-life.html/

“Parking tickets, other tickets, all of them together don’t even come close to what they fined me for doing that,” Church said. “I knew I was going to get fined after the fact. Everyone told me. But when I found out how much, I was like, ‘dang, they’re going to take all that from me when a fan just caught a ball and it made his day?’

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I must be really old. I remember when it used to be $300. I think even before that it was just to cover the cost of the football.

I had no idea it was $5K. It would be nice if the whole team or the defense chipped in and covered the fine for Church. 53 Players at $100/each would cover the fine.

elcowboi

Reaction score
The NFL just paid all this money to people no longer playing the game. I bet this year there are more fines than any year before. I bet they hit a ridiculous amount in league fines this year.