News: Barry Church fined for throwing football into stands

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Is there a fine if a player just hands the ball to a fan rather than throwing it into the stands?

I should add one of the announcers during the game said the fine was for the potential liability of throwing the ball into the stands. Don't know if that's true or not.

That's my guess. Someone drills someone in the face and then they sue.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Stupid fine. I bet the fan who caught is very happy. No Fun League. SMH

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Aren't there supposed to be penalties for excessive celebrations this year? I'm sure I read that somewhere... there are supposed to be penalties for signalling "first down" and dancing after plays if I recall, also for spinning the ball on the ground after the play. So far, I see it is still being done by other teams, but I haven't seen any fines or penalties. So am I delusional, did something change, or are the refs/leagues just not calling it?

yimyammer

Reaction score
I don't understand why this is even finable.

Me neither, the goodwill created by the fans getting free balls has outweigh whatever minor cost they incur.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this ******* rule

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me neither, the goodwill created by the fans getting free balls has outweigh whatever minor cost they incur.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this ******* rule

Maybe some fan got hit in the face with a game ball and sued somebody. I guess you never know. :)

Red Dragon

Reaction score
In my opinion, there ought to be no penalties on excessive celebration at all, as long as it does not disrupt the actual game itself (i.e., preventing the next play from proceeding on time.)

Zman5

Reaction score
They should fine Cruz for his salsa dancing also.

Sage3030

Reaction score
I think they need to institute a rule that you can't celebrate on team logos.

Not the name of the team, that covers most of the end zone, just the logo.

I'm personally getting tired of all the celebrations taking place on our logo. Do it league wide and make it fair.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
When I saw him chuck it, I thought for sure a yellow flag was coming. Stupid for him to do that.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why people are complaining about the fine for throwing the ball into the stands. It's been a fine since at least the 70's so it's not something new. Plus it's a safety thing. People scramble for a foul baseball. Imagine the scramble for a football with some unruly fans.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I don't know why people are complaining about the fine for throwing the ball into the stands. It's been a fine since at least the 70's so it's not something new. Plus it's a safety thing. People scramble for a foul baseball. Imagine the scramble for a football with some unruly fans.

Wow. Good point, I had not considered that angle of it.

Can you imagine what people would do for a TD ball from one of the superstars in the league?

That one guy on MNF a few years back jumped into the entrance way to get a shanked FG.

Actually, wasn't shanked. Just over the net.

And what a well kept mullet, to boot.

Al Michaels is on fire in that clip. The Jerry crack, signing a deal with the Bears, guy's stoked in more ways than one.