Twitter: Barry Church has high ankle sprain

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Here comes the Barry Church lynch mob.
In before people start saying he sucks and B Jones will take his job.

Does that make you the Barry Church Ostrich Squad?

He doesn't run well and has been exposed repeatedly in coverage since Julio Jones torched his zone multiple times as teams attack him repeatedly.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I agree. Church has problems tackling in space at times but he is a lot more stout in the run game than any other safety on the roster. With a physical interior run team coming in, that could present some issues. McClain needs to step up big in the middle this week as well.

This take works 2 years ago and maybe last year. His short area quickness and explosion is gone this year.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It won't hurt my feelings to not have to watch him over run a tackle, or just flat out miss them. He's been awful.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is starting to be my attitude when it comes to injuries on this team this year..................

giphy.gif

Pretty much. Depth is such an issue across the roster, what's another anymore.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Sooo which way is it ? Jones in for Church does not seem ideal. More so Wilcox in for Church, Jones in for Wilcox. Or is it just one moving piece not 2, with Heath also in for Church when Jones is on the TE.
Haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that Jones is a SS candidate. This will be very interesting !
Every time some talking head talks about Jones eventually playing safety, its as an athletic center fielder, not an in the box tackling machine .....

ilykdrama

Reaction score
Looking forward to Byron playing more. Coaches have already said they're looking for more ways to get him on the field. Here we go, rook! We've been waiting years for a true safety with a brain!

Nav22

Reaction score
Not good news. Church is very good vs the run, and Seattle runs the ball a lot.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I think the biggest weak link in the back end of the defense has been Carr. I wouldn't take JJ out in Favor of Heath... I cringe when Heath is in the game he's fast but that is all he really has going for him IMO

The Natural

Reaction score
Heath will probably replace Church, Jones will be covering Graham one on one all game. This was put out there earlier in the week. Jones has been covering the TE, including Gronk a couple of weeks ago.

Oh lord. Heath is awful.

I wish we'd just let Jones start back there. Throw anybody on Graham, it doesn't matter just be physical with him. He's soft.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Church, 2nd best tackler on the team just a few less than Lee but man he's awful!!
:facepalm:

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
It's a blessing in disguise. Time for Byron to show what he's got.

kevm3

Reaction score
Sooo which way is it ? Jones in for Church does not seem ideal. More so Wilcox in for Church, Jones in for Wilcox. Or is it just one moving piece not 2, with Heath also in for Church when Jones is on the TE.
Haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that Jones is a SS candidate. This will be very interesting !
Every time some talking head talks about Jones eventually playing safety, its as an athletic center fielder, not an in the box tackling machine .....

Yep, you move Wilcox over to take Church's spot and let Jones take Wilcox's spot..

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I actually want to see Wilcox at SS over Church and Jones at FS. Maybe this will allow us to see what we need at safety or if we need CB instead

gmoney112

Reaction score
Hmm, who do you cover Graham with if you put Jones at FS for this game?

I really want to see what he has at FS, but Jones has done a great job in the TE covering role, I don't think I'd mess with it this game.

Shadow Graham with Jones, put Wilcox at FS, and slide Heath in at SS and keep him primarily in the box for run defense.

They don't have many options in the passing game, so I'm not really too concerned with them trying to take advantage of Heath.

Much more concerned with Graham and I'd want Byron following him around the field. I'm not sure what they're going to do yet, but that's what I'd do. Put Byron at FS against the Eagles.