Barry Talks About Similarities/Differences To Emmitt

ghst187

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Emmitt has the all time record for TD's by a running back, you can't get any better than that. Emmitt didn't get caught behind a lot. So ridiculous what you are saying here and not true at all.

lol it’s 100% true. He did get caught a lot from behind. Emmitt just wasn’t that fast. You either didn’t watch them or misremember. Emmitt had big runs because he was patient, great vision, balance but not because of speed. He was fast enough to break off some runs but not like Barry’s speed.

Kwyn

Reaction score
So now we’re questioning Barry Sanders heart and calling him a ballerina?

I think some of you folks just didn’t watch or don’t remember how great Sanders was.

I love Emmitt Smith but I don’t have to disrespect another all time great to justify it.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Barry got caught from behind, let's don't get him confused with Tony Dorsett speed. Look at some of the long runs he had, he did not make it to the endzone.

ccb04

Reaction score
Emmitt was the better all-around back. Sanders was the more flashy/creative no doubt. Either could make you shake your head saying how, just in different ways...like Emmitt carrying his team with one arm, or Sanders turning around defenders in circles as he weaved down the field. Both special, and both class acts.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score

I think some of you folks just didn’t watch or don’t remember how great Sanders was.

I love Emmitt Smith but I don’t have to disrespect another all time great to justify it.

Its the only way for some Cowboy fans.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Agreed.. Barry was one of the all time greats.. However the simple fact is that Emmitt was the better all around football player.. That should not be seen as disparaging Sanders. Emmitt was one of the best all around football players ever.. at any position. He also had a tremendously high football IQ. His physical gifts are underrated.. He had ridiculous power, especially in the lower body, along with uncanny vision and balance. While he didn't have Barry's top end speed his short area acceleration was second to none. Emmitt could go from zero to 60 as fast as any back that ever played. What was not underrated were his intangible gifts.. His heart and determination were legendary as was his will to win.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Agreed.. Barry was one of the all time greats.. However the simple fact is that Emmitt was the better all around football player.. That should not be seen as disparaging Sanders. Emmitt was one of the best all around football players ever.. at any position. He also had a tremendously high football IQ. His physical gifts are underrated.. He had ridiculous power, especially in the lower body, along with uncanny vision and balance. While he didn't have Barry's top end speed his short area acceleration was second to none. Emmitt could go from zero to 60 as fast as any back that ever played. What was not underrated were his intangible gifts.. His heart and determination were legendary as was his will to win.

Perfectly said!!

mldardy

Reaction score
lol it’s 100% true. He did get caught a lot from behind. Emmitt just wasn’t that fast. You either didn’t watch them or misremember. Emmitt had big runs because he was patient, great vision, balance but not because of speed. He was fast enough to break off some runs but not like Barry’s speed.
No it's not 100% true. Emmitt didn't caught from behind a lot and when he did get caught from behind it wasn't because he was slow. You don't have as many TDs as he had and as many big runs as he had because he got caught from behind a lot. And so what when he did get caught from behind. You gonna put in someone else to take his place? NO. Stop making bs up you don't know what you are talking about. 100% true my ***.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

BINGO!

HotDog37

Reaction score
Barry was much quicker on a dime he could change direction in less than a second and then hit full speed in 5 strides. Emmitt was more of a shifty runner knowing how to use his blocks and run in the lane effectively. Dickerson was the best I ever saw.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Just about everybody that likes to argue in Barry's favor like to point out that if he didn't retire early he likely would have ran for 20,000 yards. That very well could have happened, but Barry wasn't the only running back with a legitimate shot at 20K. Before several significant injuries in Emmitt's prime slowed him down (along with other factors), he was on pace to shatter the all-time rushing record way before he actually did break it, along with every other major rushing record. Emmitt was about to rewrite the NFL record book for running backs.

I also remember a Football Digest article in 1998 that talked about Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders being equals up until 1996, and then Barry blew past Emmitt, and that his career even soared to new heights. They even said that Emmitt probably wouldn't even be in the NFL by the time Barry broke Walter Payton's record.

ghst187

Reaction score
No it's not 100% true. Emmitt didn't caught from behind a lot and when he did get caught from behind it wasn't because he was slow. You don't have as many TDs as he had and as many big runs as he had because he got caught from behind a lot. And so what when he did get caught from behind. You gonna put in someone else to take his place? NO. Stop making bs up you don't know what you are talking about. 100% true my ***.

you’re just wrong no matter your passion. Emmitt had no where near the speed and acceleration that Barry did. Watch a tape, any tape, pretty obvious as gravity.

ghst187

Reaction score

can’t believe someone can even defend that Emmitt was as fast as Barry. Barry was sub 4.38 while Emmitt was 4.52 at his fastest and never had the acceleration of Barry. The only players that ever did were Bo Jackson and Deion. Pure silliness and denying of facts to say otherwise.
You are the first person to ever say Emmitt was fast. He wasn’t. Great RB absolutely. Fast...no. Welcome to look it up or read every other NFL player or fans opinion and how it differs from yours. I’ll wait.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Getting caught from behind because of lack of speed, no one will mistake Jerry Rice for Bob Hayes and he didn't get caught from behind alot.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Lots of guys are faster than Barry. Alexander Wright, Deion, Joey Galloway, Bob Hayes, Tony D. All faster than Barry

But all of them, Barry included, had much more burst, acceleration and top speed than Emmitt.

Emmitt was wonderful but let’s not just start labeling him as the best in everything. He can still be one of the best of all time and not be a ten in every category

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if Barry had "more Nate Newtons" in front him, it would have mattered. He never followed his blocks. Detroits offense was basically give the ball to Barry and see what happens.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Lots of guys are faster than Barry. Alexander Wright, Deion, Joey Galloway, Bob Hayes, Tony D. All faster than Barry

But all of them, Barry included, had much more burst, acceleration and top speed than Emmitt.

Emmitt was wonderful but let’s not just start labeling him as the best in everything. He can still be one of the best of all time and not be a ten in every category

Agree with you just like Larry Bird was not the most athletic player, but he was a BBAADD BOY!