Twitter: Based on QBR. Dak has a argument to be top paid at his position

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let's breakdown the Prescott-Cowboys contract situation: Dak Prescott, per insiders, is not budging on a contract worth $40+ million dollars per year — and by all accounts, Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys front-office feel out of their comfort zone with offering Prescott a contract worth $33-$35 million dollars per year.

As of yesterday, insiders say that Dak Prescott's latest counter-offer consists of a whopping $42 million dollars per year, for 4-5 years. Now: Le'ts take $42 million dollars with a grain of salt. While we have a number to report, we do not, however, have any information beyond that number. We do not know the proposed guaranteed dollar amount. We do not know if certain potential contract incentives favor the team. We simply have one number at this point: $42 million per year. In August of last year, Dak Prescott turned down a contract offer from the Cowboys that would've paid him $30 million per year, per CBS. We also learned in August of last year, that Prescott first demanded $40 million dollars per year, per USA Today. Yesterday's news of $42 million per year shouldn't be seen as anything other than symbolic: Dak isn't budging. And Jerry Jones seems unwilling to go up in price — as he is already at his limit with Prescott — offering the Quarterback $33-$35 million dollars per year. How will this play out? Well, the Cowboys responded by signing a well known, and well-established Quarterback — Andy Dalton. If Prescott does decide to hold-out due to himself not receiving $40 million+ dollars per year to play, Prescott would be saying he is willing to gamble his football future on Andy Dalton not being able to lead the Cowboys to a winning season.

However, if Andy Dalton were to lead the Cowboys to success, perhaps even to the playoffs... well, Prescott's price, of course, at that point, would be so deteriorated, the Cowboys would likely offer Prescott a much lower contract than previously proposed, and Prescott would then be likely to hit the free-agent market looking for a desperate team to over-pay him. Again, assuming he, A: Holds-out. B: Andy Dalton actually wins games and makes things spicy throughout the season (Jerry loves spicy.)

But will Dak hold-out? Per Mike Florio, the likelihood of Prescott holding out is "high."
sounds about ho this has gone amnd most likely headed//.. not sure Dak would hold out and give up 31mil for the tag like X=Cousins has told him , grab a few FT and then get your pot of gold.. he may wait until 10 days before the season starts to sign tag and come in as a big efu to jerry and company..likelihood of him missing RS game sis low IMO..

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Well, firstly, we still have a stacked roster because Dak literally just came off his rookie deal. However, my comment was in response to people suggesting $40M+/yr for Dak, not his current number, which would likely make his cap hit more than it is now. You'll also have to excuse me if I have been around too long to subscribe to the, "It will be different for us" theory in regards to committing that much cap to a QB and winning the Superbowl. Sure, the Cowboys could be the outlier, the exception to the rule, but would you wager the future of the franchise on that assumption? I wouldn't. I am not suggesting Dak doesn't deserve to get paid and that someone won't pay him, but if the statistics for committing that much of your cap to a QB are true, then I sincerely believe that money is better spent spread out among other impact positions.
Firstly yes he is off of his rookie deal and now has the highest CAP hit in the league and we still have a solid roster. How does it being his first year off of it make any difference?

Even with a $40M average(it wont be that), his CAP hit next year would still drop from it's current figure.

Just depends what you want to believe. Making the Super Bowl is great, then you've got a 50/50 shot

Jimmy G set the market and made the SB last year and was winning into the 4th quarter
Matt Ryan set the market and then made the SB before they blew a 28-3 lead
Wilson set the market then made the SB before throwing an INT on the half yard line
Eli set the market and then won a SB
Rodgers set the market and then won the SB

That's five examples in the last decade. Hardly seems like an exception at all.

It just seems some don't understand the CAP at all, and you're not alone. Wentz broke the bank at $33M a year last season and this year he only takes up 8.4% of CAP.

The magic threshold that the Dak haters(not you) are using is 14%. Right now there are only three QBs in the league that have a CAP hit of 14% or higher in the entire league, Dak, Wilson, and Goff. BUT HOW COULD THAT BE SO MANY QBs HAVE RESET THE MARKET?
Whenever you see it put into perspective you understand why so few QBs with such a CAP hit don't win it, because..... so few QBs actually take up that high % of CAP in any given year.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Firstly yes he is off of his rookie deal and now has the highest CAP hit in the league and we still have a solid roster. How does it being his first year off of it make any difference?

Even with a $40M average(it wont be that), his CAP hit next year would still drop from it's current figure.

Just depends what you want to believe. Making the Super Bowl is great, then you've got a 50/50 shot

Jimmy G set the market and made the SB last year and was winning into the 4th quarter
Matt Ryan set the market and then made the SB before they blew a 28-3 lead
Wilson set the market then made the SB before throwing an INT on the half yard line
Eli set the market and then won a SB
Rodgers set the market and then won the SB

That's five examples in the last decade. Hardly seems like an exception at all.

It just seems some don't understand the CAP at all, and you're not alone. Wentz broke the bank at $33M a year last season and this year he only takes up 8.4% of CAP.

The magic threshold that the Dak haters(not you) are using is 14%. Right now there are only three QBs in the league that have a CAP hit of 14% or higher in the entire league, Dak, Wilson, and Goff. BUT HOW COULD THAT BE SO MANY QBs HAVE RESET THE MARKET?
Whenever you see it put into perspective you understand why so few QBs with such a CAP hit don't win it, because..... so few QBs actually take up that high % of CAP in any given year.

Great post. I appreciate the clarifications.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Great post. I appreciate the clarifications.
It seems like group panic.
People need to relax. I think we have some good pieces in place. Let's see if this coaching can fix other issues(although I have my reservations) and hopefully get luckier than we did last year. If not then we can trade our QB even while on a big contract for a premium asset.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It seems like group panic.
People need to relax. I think we have some good pieces in place. Let's see if this coaching can fix other issues(although I have my reservations) and hopefully get luckier than we did last year. If not then we can trade our QB even while on a big contract for a premium asset.

Seems like all the reason the team needs to just stick to the tag to me. That's the way I have been leaning from the beginning.