CFZ Basham and Williams Roughing the Passer Flags and Rule

Did Basham drive the quarterback into the ground?

• Yes

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sydla

Reaction score
It's become a joke. So defenders can't hit the QB anymore? What is a defender supposed to do? Stop short and allow the QB to step forward and complete a pass without touching him?

That's an entirely different discussion but the reality is that for a few years now, the league has ruled that when a guy tackles a QB and drives him into the turf/lands on top of him like Basham did, that's likely going to be called roughing the passer. Again, you may not like it but that's how they largely have been calling it the last few years.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's an entirely different discussion but the reality is that for a few years now, the league has ruled that when a guy tackles a QB and drives him into the turf/lands on top of him like Basham did, that's likely going to be called roughing the passer. Again, you may not like it but that's how they largely have been calling it the last few years.
Yep. It is no way around it. The good thing is that the penalty happened during a preseason game, so it is meaningless. Of course, that will not be true if Basham does not learn from it and repeats the same thing during a regular season game. Or worst. He does it at a crucial point during a postseason game.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Feelings do not matter. Basham's head was up. He drew the penalty because he drove the quarterback into the ground. A simple tackle would have not drawn a flag.

The rule does not care about the split-second anyone perceives either. If Williams went in head up, the flag may not have been thrown.

The team must get a grip on these stupid penalties. Giving the opponent 15 yards and an automatic first down is too much in today's NFL, especially if your defense has not established itself as a dominant unit.

Here's what's worse. Giving a referee an opportunity to subjectively call the hit flagrant gets the player automatically disqualified. Do not give zebras an excuse to permanently sideline a player, especially if it is one of your best players on defense. Don't help refs. They do not care about Dallas winning anyway.
Good points

Nav22

Reaction score
Half of those penalties were either delay of game, false starts or offsides, all stupid penalties on our part. And some of the holds were legitimate a well (granted, a few were bad calls too).

The biggest problem wasn't the refs, it was that for pretty much most of the year, we played undisciplined football and it cost us in a playoff game.
If we were such an “undisciplined” team, how did we lead the NFL in points, yards and takeaways?

The entire sport of football requires discipline to have any level of success. All 11 players need to do their jobs.

There’s no way in hell I’ll ever believe that we were EXTREMELY disciplined when it comes to points, yards and takeaways... while being simultaneously wildly undisciplined when it comes to the 1 aspect of football that the refs decide.

Total horse****.

There were ticky tack calls that screwed us all year, including the SF playoff game.

I still laugh thinking about the very first snap of that game. Randy Gregory called offsides for BARELY lining up in the neutral zone. The kind of play that goes uncalled 95% of the time. Randy looked at the ref and yelled, “WOW! WOW!” right after the call. He knew what kind of garbage we were in for that afternoon.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Click this link for the complete rule and entire examples video.

In the old days, defensive players could stuff the quarterback. The old days are dead in the NFL. They will never return.

OeofpNa.gif

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 11, subparagraph b: A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation...

Tackling/sacking the quarterback is a mental exercise in 2022. It's not 1972 anymore. The NFL does not want its quarterbacks pounded through the ground. The rule is an irritation if the player is not intentionally trying to injure the quarterback but not THINKING beforehand will result in a braindead penalty and should fall primarily on the player's shoulders only in my opinion.

oF9xaFj.gif

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 11, subparagragh c: A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture... (2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with any part of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.

On the other hand, I believe coaches and player bear equal responsibility for erasing this tendency from inside the player's head. All the player needs to do is keep his head up. You must see who you are going to hit anyway. Eyes up. Less chance of a stupid penalty. Eyes down. Almost always a braindead penalty because the refs do not give a flip what part of the helmet hits ANY part of the quarterback's body.
those were legal IMHO borderline maybe, but in slow Mo they are 100% legal full speed well the refs just always call it like they believe they see it..some need to have their eyes checked same head official called those 2 holding penalty's on Tsmith(lg), can we give him a nickname i mean to Tsmiths next to each other is confusing, and to me they were not holding, not being cowboy bias pancakes are not auto flags, and he was not holding.

not ironic or coincidental

same officials from the 9er game b2b calling call these flags.,,

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
those were legal IMHO borderline maybe, but in slow Mo they are 100% legal full speed well the refs just always call it like they believe they see it..some need to have their eyes checked same head official called those 2 holding penalty's on Tsmith(lg), can we give him a nickname i mean to Tsmiths next to each other is confusing, and to me they were not holding, not being cowboy bias pancakes are not auto flags, and he was not holding.

not ironic or coincidental

same officials from the 9er game b2b calling call these flags.,,
:hammer::hammer:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

In the old days, defensive players could stuff the quarterback. The old days are dead in the NFL. They will never return.

OeofpNa.gif

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 11, subparagraph b: A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as “stuffing” a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation...

Tackling/sacking the quarterback is a mental exercise in 2022. It's not 1972 anymore. The NFL does not want its quarterbacks pounded through the ground. The rule is an irritation if the player is not intentionally trying to injure the quarterback but not THINKING beforehand will result in a braindead penalty and should fall primarily on the player's shoulders only in my opinion.

oF9xaFj.gif

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 11, subparagragh c: A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture... (2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with any part of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body. This rule does not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or non-crown parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on a passer.

On the other hand, I believe coaches and player bear equal responsibility for erasing this tendency from inside the player's head. All the player needs to do is keep his head up. You must see who you are going to hit anyway. Eyes up. Less chance of a stupid penalty. Eyes down. Almost always a braindead penalty because the refs do not give a flip what part of the helmet hits ANY part of the quarterback's body.

Your talking about the best DT in the NFL and then Basham. Bashams is a little worse. Picks up his legs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Donald's was way worse. He put all his body weight on top of the qb. Basham actually pulled to the side to avoid putting his weight on him.

Not how I see it. Donald sells it much better as he actually rolls off of him in an exaggerated way at the end. Basham picks up his legs and drives him down to the ground helmet first.

TheGoat73

Reaction score

OeofpNa.gif

oF9xaFj.gif

I can’t remember ever being less excited for a football season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll accept these types of penalties but what should be unacceptable is pre snap and all the OL holds.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

OeofpNa.gif

oF9xaFj.gif

These types of penalties are on the coaching staff. How many roughing the passer penalties did Denver have?????? I rest my case............. The Boys were the most penalized team last season and they'll be in the running for that title this year too! It's totally asinine how the penalties flags fly when the Cowboys are playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I distinctly remember Romo driven to the ground the full weight of defender landing on him in preseason in 2016 which ended his career by the way , was not called roughing
Roughing the passer would not apply. Romo scrambled out of the pocket and did not attempt to throw the ball. However, arguments have been made whether unnecessary roughness should have been called since Romo was obviously in the act of sliding before the hit (it will not be surprising if a counter-argument or explanation surfaces because of this sub-discussion).

Penalty or not, the tackle itself was not typical, with the force of the tackle running through Romo's lower back, which was formatted in a semi-circle with the tackler bending him forward. I posted a good deal about the physics and anatomical impacts of the tackle but the old Romo's injury prone/fragile/HE WILL BE A QUADRiPLEGIC FOR LIFE!!!11!!1! chants began anew. So, I will stop now before someone starts claiming Candice will become a widow soon or something similar. :laugh: